StudentsReview :: The University of South Carolina - Columbia - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The University of South Carolina - Columbia

I went to the University of South CarolinaOther
I went to the University of South Carolina for my Master's degree and was a graduate assistant. The way I was treated by the faculty and staff was abhorrent. Repeatedly they were unable to complete basic actions such as have hiring paperwork in to offices in time for GAs to receive pay checks in a timely manner. The professors were unable to have grades in to the graduate school in a timely manner. Repeatedly, emails to the director of the program I was in were responded to in an unprofessional, and to be entirely honest, incredibly rude manner. With a program that harps on professionalism, I found this quite disheartening. The program director is overstretched with too many duties and only cares about her research and receiving grant funding for her projects instead of actually caring about her students. I felt many times as though any of my emails and meetings were just an inconvenience to the professors and that they did not care about me as a student. Assignments were never intellectually stimulating and felt more like busy work than anything else. As a Master's degree student, busy work is not appreciated especially when your graduate assistantship causes a busy schedule. Overall, I had a negative experience at the University of South Carolina and would strongly suggest someone choose a different institution for an advanced degree.
Choosing to come to the University of southQuite BrightFinance
Choosing to come to the University of south Carolina is easily the biggest mistake of my life. People here are so dumb and close minded and the course work is so easy I don't know why I'm paying 40,000 dollar to come here. People here are clones of each other every stupid sorority girl dresses the same, act the same, and are so intolerable I actually loose brain cells being around them. But really, I don't know who are worse the stupid sorority girls or the arrogant self centered frat boys that patrol the school. If you have any desire to do anything besides get drunk at shitty bars in five points there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do. I mean literally nothing. No one goes to any events besides football games and everyone is so trashed they usually can't even remember who won. The faculty and staff have no clue what they are doing and most are grad students until you get to junior year. The advisement told me to take two of the wrong classes and I ended up having to retake them over the summer because there was no guidance. If you have any sort of brain in your head do not come here.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
So first a little background about me.Not so brightPolitical Science
So first a little background about me. I'm currently a junior at the university majoring in Int'l Studies and minoring in German and Russian lang. with a 3.9 GPA. I was born in raised in South Carolina, but I most definitely do not fit the stereotype of a student at this school. More blatantly put, I do not fit at this school at all. USC was the only in state university I applied to (I only applied because my parents went here as graduate students, my dad for undergrad as well), all of the others having been out of state universities, mostly up north. I decided to stay in state after high school to save a little money, but I can tell you it WAS NOT worth it.

First off, even though this is a negative review, I'd like to begin with the positives of this place. The most positive attribute of this university are the faculty members. I have not yet met a single faculty member that I haven't absolutely loved. If this school has any redeeming factors, the faculty is really the only one. As long as you actually care about your education (and you should since you're shelling out $$$ for it), they will go to the end of the earth to help you grasp each and every concept they teach you in class. Even the grad students I've had have been phenomenal. Most of the classes I've had have been relevant and also challenging, but not impossibly so. Another great aspect of the school is the Study Abroad office. They're extremely helpful and have wonderful Study Abroad programs. I myself am doing a year long exchange to Germany starting this Fall, not only because I love Germany but also to GTFO out of this hell hole ASAP. Other than the great academics and fantastic study abroad programs, there are a couple other redeeming qualities. The campus is nice and so are some of the dorms. I lived on the Horseshoe freshman year and really liked it. But other dorms (such as Bates) are complete shitholes. Those are all of the positives I can think of right now.

Now for the negatives. The biggest negative I can think of right now is the football program. There is so much money wasted on the football program that needs to be directed to other areas (like rebuilding the campus buildings that actually matter, not putting a new electric sign on their big ass football stadium). Also, Greek life is another huge negative. Only about 35% of the population is Greek, but it really feels more like 95-98%. This school attracts a very specific type of student. The students here are very into football, all of that "southern culture" bullshit, fratty clothes, and assloads of alcohol (many students here I'm convinced have a serious alcohol problem; my roommate and hallmates are generally hammered 5 nights out of the week). If you do not fit this stereotype, are not purposefully seeking this culture, are a more liberal/open minded person, actually are interested in other real, more interesting things, and actually like to hold legitimate conversations on topics that actually matter and not about Clowney's performance in the last game, then you are going to have a really hard time here. Seriously, if - like me - you don't identify with any of those things that I just listed, you're going to be miserable. It's just the way it is. Other than that, the lack of decent student organizations besides Greek life is another major negative. I personally volunteer around the city of Columbia just because there aren't any on campus organizations where I can really get involved. Lastly, the food sucks too. Most of Russell house is made up of overpriced fast food.So there you have it; those are my positives and negatives. The crucial thing in my opinion is to make sure that you fit the stereotype of the typical student of this school. If you do, you'll have a blast here. If you don't, you'll be ready to blast yourself halfway through junior year. Whatever school whoever is reading this review goes with, good luck!

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015