StudentsReview :: Winthrop University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA

Winthrop University

Get away from this university as fast asQuite BrightBiology
Get away from this university as fast as you can, it is not worth your money despite the beautiful campus. Your out of class life will be non-existent because Rock Hill is boring and no one else has money for Charlotte and the on-campus life is lacking in many departments. The food in particular is terrible, avoid the cafeteria and go to DIGS, even though most of that stuff isn't much better.

I can only really speak about the biology and science track here as I only took liberal arts classes as an elective. Some of the teachers here are fantastic, some barely speak any English. Do you know how awful it was taking field botany for a semester with a Taiwanese professor who had students literally retake tests due to their HANDWRITING. Not even a joke. The other students in your major? They're either smoking pot and stoned out of their minds, snooty and way too competitive, or adult students who just want to be done with this miserable place.

The dorms suck, no getting around that. Courtyard has black mold AND a bedbug problem.
The financial aid students are like negotiating with the devil. You will end up screwed either way.
Do I regret going here? Yes and no. I've made some incredible friends here, but I'm not working in Biology and it did not open any doors in my career path. Winthrop degrees aren't so great if you're trying to get into med school after all.Bottom line, don't come here and have your college experience elsewhere. Clemson or USC are just so much better and cost half the price.

4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
So far, Winthrop has been a really greatQuite BrightEnglish
So far, Winthrop has been a really great school; I love the campus, my professors, and almost everyone I've met. However, there are a few things that are bothering me. This school is about 90% in state students, and most of them go home on the weekends. I'm from pretty far away, and most of the friends I've made here don't stick around on the weekends. It's required to live on campus your freshman and sophomore year, but despite that most people commute home on the weekends, and some people even spend parts of the school week at home. Honestly, it gets pretty lonely. I would say a solid 3 in 5 people spend weekends away, and since I'm an out of state student I don't have the option to go home. I'm fairly introverted so I can always use some time to myself, but spending every single weekend alone is getting pretty annoying. There's not much to do in the surrounding area, and without people to spend time with, my weekends are mostly spent alone in my dorm. Also, I'm not feeling very challenged with the coursework. Maybe it's just me, but specifically in WRIT101, a required course, other students are seeming to have a really hard time or have no idea what they're doing, but all of the assignments have been incredibly easy. All that being said, I've still mostly liked Winthrop. The campus is beautiful, and if you've got friends with you for the weekends then the downtown has some stuff to do and you're not too far from Charlotte. This place is probably for you if you want a lower stress education.
1st Year Female -- Class 1921
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C-
The Student Financial Services office here will makeQuite BrightArt & Design Department
The Student Financial Services office here will make you wish you had never stepped foot into this school. The only way this school cares about you is if you are rich or have your tuition covered by scholarships. Anything else, YOU WILL STRUGGLE. The SFS office will NOT help you find loans, scholarships, grants, or anything. Their overall attitude is unhelpful, inconsiderate, and lazy. You feel a lot of "You are on your own" here. I had one woman be downright cold and rude to me. They refuse to set up payment plans if you are no longer a student. And most recently, they double dipped into my bank account. They were already paid and decided to pay themselves twice this month. My account was put into NEGATIVE DIGITS. And, to make things worse, they REFUSED TO REFUND ME. How am i supposed to eat this week? Winthrop doesn't care who they starve or put on the street as long as they get their money. Their SFS office is run by thieves. Be Warned.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019