StudentsReview :: Freed Hardeman University - Comments and Student Experiences

California State Polytechnic University -- Pomona, CA
Brown University -- Providence, RI

Freed Hardeman University

My experience at Freed-Hardeman was a great one,BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
My experience at Freed-Hardeman was a great one, but as you can see from other reviews, it is not for everyone. The school is a Christian one associated with the churches of Christ. Being a conservative Christian school, there are going to be a lot of rules, (curfew, dress code, chapel, class attendance, etc.) but this is what makes this school different. Did I enjoy the rules? Not particularly. I struggled with chapel attendance every year. I had to go see the dean because I got caught sneaking out of the dorm once (getting caught once out of a hundred though is not too bad). I loved curfew though. It made all the guys in my dorm get there at the same time, which more times than not lead to us doing something mischievous.

The professors, faculty, and staff are really nice and genuinely want to see you succeed. Teachers will hand out their cell phone numbers, and some will even invite entire classes into their homes. Administration often gets a bad wrap from students because they are the ones who have to enforce the rules, but they are doing their jobs and trying to do what's best for the university.Freed-Hardeman is a great college. The best four years of my life (so far) were spent here. I never had as much fun, or had as many friends as I did during my time there. I was given great opportunities to grow socially, academically, and spiritually. My name is Justin Smith and if you are interested in going to FHU, want to know more about it, or understand why everyone else's comments are so negative about a school that I love a lot, you can email me at

4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: D+
The culture of Freed-Hardeman University is hard toBrightOther
The culture of Freed-Hardeman University is hard to understand, unless you have been involved with the Churches of Christ in the past.

There is a very close-minded attitude on campus. This is a VERY religiously right sided university. Question the beliefs of "the" church, or questioning the policies that the university holds dear can result in dire consequences.

The Fall semester of my senior year of college I was put on academic probation because of the amount of tardies I received from Chapel absences-

For those that do not know what Chapel is; Chapel is a 30 minute religious service every weekday, Monday-Friday, from 10:30am-11:00am. You get an allotted 12 excused absences, and on the 12th, you WILL receive some form of disciplinary action.-

Needless to say, I went over my 12 absences, and was put on probation for the Spring semester. Half-way through the spring semester a rumor was received by the Student Services department that I was heard using "inappropriate language" off campus, in reality, I had cussed during a conversation with a friend.

Student Services called me into the office, and I was suspended from the university. (I fought against this, and ended up withdrawing with passes in the courses I was enrolled in. This is a good thing, because if I was suspended, a charge of "harassment" would have been put on my academic record [ and yes the university's handbook classifies "cussing" as "harassment" ]

I hope this shows the thinking that is involved in the disciplinary system. The unfortunate thing is, this line of thinking resonates throughout all of the university's policies and attitudes.

All of that aside, most of the teachers I came into contact with during my experience at the school were very loving and helpful. The problem lies not with the teacher, but with the university's Board members and it's policies.Please do not expect to be treated as an adult who can make your own decisions and be treated fairly. I graduated at 20 years of age with a 3.2 GPA.

4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D-
I have noticed that many come to thisBrightCommunications
I have noticed that many come to this private Christian university and complain loudly about the rules and regulations. They were not forced to attend this university. There are hundreds of other universities all over the country. Freed-Hardeman University is a school for those who want to receive an education in an environment where they won't have to be afraid of negative peer pressure. It's an environment for Christians. I come from a large city (Denver, Colorado), so it was kind of a shock to be in this small town environment, but I have definitely enjoyed it a lot. Having been around and worked with many, many secular college kids and hearing about their parties and the troubles they find themselves in all of the time, it was not hard for me to choose Freed-Hardeman. I don't want to be around all of that. I had enough of it throughout high school. The rules here help the students to keep their focus on why they're here! You don't come to Freed to party like a prisoner. You come to learn and thrive in a good environment. I advise you to come to Freed-Hardeman if you really want to be in a great, uplifting, and spiritual environment.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016