StudentsReview :: Hiwassee College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hiwassee College

I attended HC and absolutely loved it! TheQuite BrightEducation
I attended HC and absolutely loved it! The college has been around for 165 years and has a lot of unique history. I graduated from HC with a BS degree and felt very prepared to go into grad school. I finished my Master's degree in only one year and I am now pursuing my PhD. Additionally, I had a job lined up right after I graduated from HC due to a successful internship that my faculty adviser had arranged. I am still happily employed at that organization. I credit all of that to HC and not only the academic rigor provided there, but also to how encouraging the faculty and staff are. I highly recommend HC! Go Tigers!
Starting Job: Education; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A+
I'm a sophomore.AveragePhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
I'm a sophomore. My major is physical therapy.I live in the dorms. Living in the dorms are horrible. They have roaches everywhere! We get treated like we are two years old. The admissions faculty are very rude and they try to screw you over. You go to ask a question about something and they don't have an answer. I wouldn't waste your money to come to Hiwassee. This school has a lot they need to work on.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Individual Value: F
This semester will be start my second year and I am looBrightEducation
This semester will be start my second year and I am looking to transfer ASAP! I came here as an education major, but come to find out, there is no education program here. I remember speaking with an admissions counselor and she told me that I would be able to attend here for early childhood education. What she did not tell me is that I would have to transfer out to take more classes THEN take my certification exam. I also remember speaking with the upper administration and he told me that by the time I got ready to graduate we would have the classes I need. I am scheduled to graduate in May 2015 and have yet to sit in an education class.

The college looks run down and closed. Student life is nonexistent and i'm wondering if the employees are hopeful or brainwashed into thinking that things are going to get better. I had to hear from an outside source that the college is struggling financially and they are letting go of faculty and staff left and right (if they don't quit first) to cut costs. I remember on a couple of occasions where the faculty and staff would go outside to cut grass, trim hedges and do other duties that is required of the groundskeeping department because they cannot afford to hire someone to do it.

I know the faculty and staff means well, but something needs to happen soon or I fear they will not be open much longer. And if they are open, it may be by the skin of their teeth. I live about equal distance to Tennessee Wesleyan where they have a full education program. I guess I just got talked into attending Hiwassee College. I would say do not attend here because they really do not care about the students. If they did, they would have more activities, better facilities and better programs. They know with more students comes more money, therefore, making them desperate for students. If it means conning students to enroll, they will do it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015