StudentsReview :: Hiwassee College - Comments and Student Experiences

Hiwassee College

Oct 13 2014Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm a sophomore. My major is physical therapy.I live in the dorms. Living in the dorms are horrible. They have roaches everywhere! We get treated like we are two years old. The admissions faculty are very rude and they try to screw you over. You go to ask a question about something and they don't have an answer. I wouldn't waste your money to come to Hiwassee. This school has a lot they need to work on.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Individual Value: F
Aug 21 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This semester will be start my second year and I am looking to transfer ASAP! I came here as an education major, but come to find out, there is no education program here. I remember speaking with an admissions counselor and she told me that I would be able to attend here for early childhood education. What she did not tell me is that I would have to transfer out to take more classes THEN take my certification exam. I also remember speaking with the upper administration and he told me that by the time I got ready to graduate we would have the classes I need. I am scheduled to graduate in May 2015 and have yet to sit in an education class.

The college looks run down and closed. Student life is nonexistent and i'm wondering if the employees are hopeful or brainwashed into thinking that things are going to get better. I had to hear from an outside source that the college is struggling financially and they are letting go of faculty and staff left and right (if they don't quit first) to cut costs. I remember on a couple of occasions where the faculty and staff would go outside to cut grass, trim hedges and do other duties that is required of the groundskeeping department because they cannot afford to hire someone to do it.

I know the faculty and staff means well, but something needs to happen soon or I fear they will not be open much longer. And if they are open, it may be by the skin of their teeth. I live about equal distance to Tennessee Wesleyan where they have a full education program. I guess I just got talked into attending Hiwassee College. I would say do not attend here because they really do not care about the students. If they did, they would have more activities, better facilities and better programs. They know with more students comes more money, therefore, making them desperate for students. If it means conning students to enroll, they will do it.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
Jan 27 2014Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a graduate of hiwassee and after reading the reviews I feel the need to set some things straight. This is a small tiny college that never had more than 400 students in my 3 years. These reviews are clearly written by the staff. Nobody that attends the school would ever have anything like the other reviews to say about it there is always mold in the dorms and the heat and air never worked in 3 years. The admission staff and teachers are the only people there worth anything. The administration is beyond horrible and must have received their degrees from the local Walmart. The school has a good heart but the highest paid teacher there makes less than 30k a year and most do not get paid at all. Scary. The school is run by students who graduated the previous year. Nothing is handled correctly and the school is a joke. I had no intention of writing a review today but I would hate for another person to get tricked into the lies that hiwassee is made of. Save your money. The local community colleges have better reputations. Everybody who went there wanted out. It's the only college I know that looks bad on a resume. STAY AWAY!
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: F