StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Art school (either undergrad

Jul 27 2004Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Art school (either undergrad or grad) is what you make of it. I have heard complaints about every art school in the U.S. So learn everything you can, do your own research, and don't expect the school to spoon feed you. Otherwise you will come out the way you went in: baby food.
Starting Job: Artist Preparedness: A Reputation: C

MCA does not provide adequate tools for graduates

Jun 19 2004Art & Design Department
MCA does not provide adequate tools for graduates to succeed in the business of art. I graduated completely clueless in marketing, grant writing, and important legal matters that pertain to business. The "counseling" I received during my 4 years at MCA did not prepare me for the real world... surviving and thriving as an ARTIST.
4th Year Female -- Class 1990
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F

Having an MFA degree helped me -from- getting

Jul 26 2004Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
Having an MFA degree helped me -from- getting laid off when everybody else in my department was. Education (no matter what school you go to) is primarily self teaching / learning. The school can only provide the tools. If you think you are not getting something from the school; ask. I was a workaholic in school from worrying too much about grades. What I should have done was explore Memphis more. I recommend everybody go to MCA. If you do the work; you will succeed. It may be hell, but it will be worth it.
Starting Job: Graphic Artist Preparedness: A+ Reputation: B+