StudentsReview ™ :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Do not go to this art school

Mar 19 2012Other
Do not go to this art school. It's a scam. They Indian give scholarships. They give you many great looking scholarships and grants so you'll continue with registration. After about a month or so they give you a call letting you know that your scholarship "didn't go through after all" and that you owe them money and it's due by the end of the semester. Security is horrible, I had many things stolen from me and I was discouraged by security from filing an actual police report. The professors are incredibly negative and I didn't learn anything from the classes I attended. Going to this school made me re-think what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to do something else instead of waste my time at this scam school. I think you should reconsider going here, too.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

No school is perfect

Jun 12 2011Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
No school is perfect. If you're not getting what you need; find a way to get it.
I had fun at MCA. I learned a few things at MCA.
I learned if you want to be an artist; don't go to any school! You only need to got to (art) school if you want to work for somebody else; then having a diploma -may- help.

The only classes you may need if you want to be an artist are business classes and marketing classes. To learn art, just go to galleries and museums and study the artworks (not pictures of artworks).

Learning about art from an art school is like learning about love from a prostitute...
The movie "Art School Confidential" says it all.
My dream(s) are to either sell my artworks or teach college art. I have yet to achieve either. Since I have not; I have to assume MCA is partly or wholly to blame. For that reason, I rate MCA an 'F'.

Starting Job: Janitor Preparedness: F Reputation: B

Okay, first of all, the campus here is

Feb 22 2011Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Okay, first of all, the campus here is great. The school couldn't have picked a better location to build. The main undergraduate building is located right in the middle of Overton Park, next to the zoo and about 20 feet from the small community stage known as Levitt Shell. The security guards here are 24 hours, friendly, and if you see them enough, they'll start calling you by name. This school is great for the normal arts like: painting, drawing, sculpture (especially awesome), etc. I've rarely heard anyone from those majors have any complaints about the school.

That said, I'm a digital media major, meaning I work in animation and cinema from day to day. Though the resources and classes are improving every year for my major, there simply isn't enough here to give you the working knowledge needed to be anything other than an independent filmmaker or a 2D animator with a slight knowledge of 3D. Visual Effects are strongly discouraged for a good lot of the cinema field. Using contemporary films for reference of anything in my field at this school is virtually unheard of. I get stuck in review committees at the end of the year that hardly even know we have a digital department.

I cannot say it enough, but don't go here if you want to get into a larger film company later on. You'll have to go to school elsewhere afterwards to make up for what you didn't learn. Likewise, we only have a couple classes in Maya, and nothing in 3ds Max. The editing program for film here is Final Cut. I could go on and on about things we don't have: like a motion capture studio, any kind of acting department, a props department, a green screen room... But I'll leave it there.WAVING RED FLAG: If you want to be a graphic designer, do NOT go here. The graphic design department is largely hand skill oriented (not much digital work) and is said to be 10 years out of date.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012