StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Do not go to this art school

Mar 19 2012Other
Do not go to this art school. It's a scam. They Indian give scholarships. They give you many great looking scholarships and grants so you'll continue with registration. After about a month or so they give you a call letting you know that your scholarship "didn't go through after all" and that you owe them money and it's due by the end of the semester. Security is horrible, I had many things stolen from me and I was discouraged by security from filing an actual police report. The professors are incredibly negative and I didn't learn anything from the classes I attended. Going to this school made me re-think what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to do something else instead of waste my time at this scam school. I think you should reconsider going here, too.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

I graduated from MCA and felt it did

Dec 26 2010Art & Design Department
I graduated from MCA and felt it did nothing for me. I got my degree in animation yet it was extremely lacking in the skills I needed and I had to take classes from a friend who was actually working in the field. I learned more from him than I did at this college in their degree program. The sad thing is, although I went to MCA on a scholarship I feel I lost 4 years. I learned more with my friend who was basically self taught than what was taught at this college. Plus, he has helped me with contacts and this school did not. My final thoughts....go somewhere else.
Starting Job: Graphic designer Preparedness: D Reputation: F

I decided to leave after one semester

Jan 30 2011Art & Design Department
I decided to leave after one semester. Many instructors seemed tired or disconnected. Simply going through the motions. Technology is not incorporated nearly as it could be. Classes moved at a very slow pace and I learned more by reading books at home. Critiques were absurd and only offering vague general feedback. For the price of this school, it is a poor value for the money. Tuition is nearly 24k a year which breaks down to about $300 per class. I decided to get out before the hole got any deeper. The nail on the coffin was in one class we were doing an exercise on thought mapping and the instructor said the topic was sex and told students to draw first three things that come to mind. After scrawling our vulgar images we were told to tack them to the wall. That is when I realized I was paying $300 to draw a penis and tack it to the wall under the pretense of education. I am moving on to another college.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014