StudentsReview ™ :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

The MAT Program recently developed at Memphis College

Apr 26 2009Art & Design Department
The MAT Program recently developed at Memphis College of Art is horrible. The classes consist of time wasted on busy work. The teachers are terrible and boring and out of touch. There is one particular teacher (Gonzales) who is the worst. She is constantly nit-picking students' grades. She teaches a Diversity Class (AE650) and she neglects to discuss the diversity of the city of Memphis. The students enrolled in the MAT program are primarily teachers for Memphis City Schools. Students are forced to take very boring classes after challenging and long days at work. I would not recommend this program to anyone, in fact, I will do my best to discourage people from going to MCA for the MAT program.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Innovation: A, Education Quality: F

Where to begin?

Feb 02 2009Art & Design Department
Where to begin? I graduated in '04, after which Ive basically have had no contact with the school whatsoever. good riddance I say. Noone there was really helpful when I was attending and they are completely useless when it came time for me to graduate. Makes me wonder what the "career services" department is there for. Part of the reason is that Memphis is really just an armpit of a city, (do not move there if you have allusions of being recognized for your artistic talent and supporting yourself with your art there) full of rednecks and ignorant people whose idea of art is paintings of barns with farm animals in front of them. So, after graduation you can look forward to working at the Piggly Wiggly. The school itself is maintained very well. I wondered why they were tearing up the old magnolia trees and completely renovating the exterior of the building one year when they could have used the money to hire more teachers so I could take classes I had wanted, but was told they were full (with an average student body of 300 annually). The faculty is a mishmosh of people who are basically failures in the art world, who hide behind the security of an academic setting. They are useless when it comes to helping and giving real world guidance about supporting yourself after college with your artistic talents, mostly because they havent really experienced that themselves. The city itself, again an armpit. Don't attend the school if you think theres some kind of art scene, or any kind of scene for that matter, youd have more luck catching a glimpse of Elvis on Beale St. The school and the city its in sucks. If you decide to go here, do so at your own risk...to your future. I suggest choosing a school with a better rep and one that most people have heard of..somewhere like Risd or something.
4th Year Male -- Class 2004
Campus Maintenance: A+, Education Quality: F

This school screwed me over

Sep 03 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This school screwed me over. I was a transfer student and I regret more than anything transferring to this school. I came in the spring semester as a first semester sophomore, when I met with administration officials for orientation there were many many things they "forgot" to tell me, such as every student having a mailbox where important letters and information are placed. The school bought the apartment building I live in and told me they knew I was there, and yet they mailed everything from grades to information on the fall semester to the wrong address, and I never got them. When I was I diagnosed with a severe illness and went to talk to my teachers about extra help I was told to "stop making excuses" and to return when I was ready to be a "serious student." When I talked to the Dean of Students about this she told me it was out of her hands and the school had no written policy on how to handle a student in need. She promised to email my teachers, and never did. This school is all talk. People are very sweet while you're applying but once you're there you get very little. They are also terrible about answering phonecalls, they answer about 1 in 20. And don't ever return messages. If you want to talk to someone, plan on going to the school in person. I would not recommend this school to anyone, ever. They screwed me over and I'm still recovering.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010