StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

The surrounding city has a lot of clubs

Dec 29 2009Art & Design Department
The surrounding city has a lot of clubs and music scene but it also has a lot of violence and people constantly asking for money. This leads for a feeling of being unsafe on this 1950's era looking campus. The college was much smaller and dinkier than what I expected. Things break down too much and they take to long to fix them. I left after my third year and went to a university.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2007
Surrounding City: B-, Education Quality: F

I don't think this college helped me

Dec 29 2009Art & Design Department
I don't think this college helped me. I got a scholarship here out of high school and thought that was really something but then I transferred my third year to the University of Tennessee which seems to be more in touch with the art world than MCA. I guess MCA seemed too self absorbed and academic but very little real application, job placement and really shoddy internships available. Sorry guys but I would pass this school up.
Starting Job: Graphic Design Preparedness: F Reputation: D

I went on after MCA and to a University

Dec 14 2009Art & Design Department
I went on after MCA and to a University. I have found tons of artists that do just that...MCA is where they start because it feels like staying in the high school art class all day but the Universities are where they go when they want to grow up. I feel MCA is a "starter" college. Not bad just an inbetween place for the younger kids.

There at my university I met more artists that were more successful later in their field than then ones I was with in MCA. I can recognize art from MCA students because they are all very much alike. They don't vary much for thinking outside the teacher's realm. I didn't feel I had much help with career planning at MCA. At my local university my professors helped and I have been showing in galleries all over the USA but this is only from the professionalism of my university professors constantly showing and being in the real artworld. I didn't see that of the professors at MCA. They seemed like all they did was teach and didn't really create beyond that.

Starting Job: freelance artist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D