StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

The MAT Program recently developed at Memphis College

Apr 26 2009Art & Design Department
The MAT Program recently developed at Memphis College of Art is horrible. The classes consist of time wasted on busy work. The teachers are terrible and boring and out of touch. There is one particular teacher (Gonzales) who is the worst. She is constantly nit-picking students' grades. She teaches a Diversity Class (AE650) and she neglects to discuss the diversity of the city of Memphis. The students enrolled in the MAT program are primarily teachers for Memphis City Schools. Students are forced to take very boring classes after challenging and long days at work. I would not recommend this program to anyone, in fact, I will do my best to discourage people from going to MCA for the MAT program.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Innovation: A, Education Quality: F

I went on after MCA and to a University

Dec 14 2009Art & Design Department
I went on after MCA and to a University. I have found tons of artists that do just that...MCA is where they start because it feels like staying in the high school art class all day but the Universities are where they go when they want to grow up. I feel MCA is a "starter" college. Not bad just an inbetween place for the younger kids.

There at my university I met more artists that were more successful later in their field than then ones I was with in MCA. I can recognize art from MCA students because they are all very much alike. They don't vary much for thinking outside the teacher's realm. I didn't feel I had much help with career planning at MCA. At my local university my professors helped and I have been showing in galleries all over the USA but this is only from the professionalism of my university professors constantly showing and being in the real artworld. I didn't see that of the professors at MCA. They seemed like all they did was teach and didn't really create beyond that.

Starting Job: freelance artist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D

Where to begin?

Feb 02 2009Art & Design Department
Where to begin? I graduated in '04, after which Ive basically have had no contact with the school whatsoever. good riddance I say. Noone there was really helpful when I was attending and they are completely useless when it came time for me to graduate. Makes me wonder what the "career services" department is there for. Part of the reason is that Memphis is really just an armpit of a city, (do not move there if you have allusions of being recognized for your artistic talent and supporting yourself with your art there) full of rednecks and ignorant people whose idea of art is paintings of barns with farm animals in front of them. So, after graduation you can look forward to working at the Piggly Wiggly. The school itself is maintained very well. I wondered why they were tearing up the old magnolia trees and completely renovating the exterior of the building one year when they could have used the money to hire more teachers so I could take classes I had wanted, but was told they were full (with an average student body of 300 annually). The faculty is a mishmosh of people who are basically failures in the art world, who hide behind the security of an academic setting. They are useless when it comes to helping and giving real world guidance about supporting yourself after college with your artistic talents, mostly because they havent really experienced that themselves. The city itself, again an armpit. Don't attend the school if you think theres some kind of art scene, or any kind of scene for that matter, youd have more luck catching a glimpse of Elvis on Beale St. The school and the city its in sucks. If you decide to go here, do so at your own risk...to your future. I suggest choosing a school with a better rep and one that most people have heard of..somewhere like Risd or something.
4th Year Male -- Class 2004