StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

I don't think this college helped me

Dec 29 2009Art & Design Department
I don't think this college helped me. I got a scholarship here out of high school and thought that was really something but then I transferred my third year to the University of Tennessee which seems to be more in touch with the art world than MCA. I guess MCA seemed too self absorbed and academic but very little real application, job placement and really shoddy internships available. Sorry guys but I would pass this school up.
Starting Job: Graphic Design Preparedness: F Reputation: D

The MAT Program recently developed at Memphis College

Apr 26 2009Art & Design Department
The MAT Program recently developed at Memphis College of Art is horrible. The classes consist of time wasted on busy work. The teachers are terrible and boring and out of touch. There is one particular teacher (Gonzales) who is the worst. She is constantly nit-picking students' grades. She teaches a Diversity Class (AE650) and she neglects to discuss the diversity of the city of Memphis. The students enrolled in the MAT program are primarily teachers for Memphis City Schools. Students are forced to take very boring classes after challenging and long days at work. I would not recommend this program to anyone, in fact, I will do my best to discourage people from going to MCA for the MAT program.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2011
Innovation: A, Education Quality: F

I went on after MCA and to a University

Dec 14 2009Art & Design Department
I went on after MCA and to a University. I have found tons of artists that do just that...MCA is where they start because it feels like staying in the high school art class all day but the Universities are where they go when they want to grow up. I feel MCA is a "starter" college. Not bad just an inbetween place for the younger kids.

There at my university I met more artists that were more successful later in their field than then ones I was with in MCA. I can recognize art from MCA students because they are all very much alike. They don't vary much for thinking outside the teacher's realm. I didn't feel I had much help with career planning at MCA. At my local university my professors helped and I have been showing in galleries all over the USA but this is only from the professionalism of my university professors constantly showing and being in the real artworld. I didn't see that of the professors at MCA. They seemed like all they did was teach and didn't really create beyond that.

Starting Job: freelance artist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D