StudentsReview ™ :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

I think overall it has done more harm

Nov 21 2005Art & Design Department
I think overall it has done more harm than good. I mean I learned technical & aesthetic things, but that's about it. I still have over $20,000 in loans and making what I make, it will take forever to pay it off. Due to my financial situation, I am trapped where I am, still living with my parents, working a lousy job and sharing a car with them. It's not like MCA gave a damn about what I was going to do after college, as far as jobs and galleries were concerned. They pormised us all sorts of thing when we got there, but then they didn't follow through. I heard things like "I don't know what to tell you." Thanks, I'm really glad I spent so much time and money to be in a worse place than I was, with an extremely useless piece of paper. ***What should I have known and what should others do. First, avoid this place. Second, make sure any art college you attend follows through on the assistance they promise you after college. It's not like your getting an MBA here, where people are out actively recruiting you and throwing giant piles of money at you. This is a very complicated unforgiving career path and you need all the help you can get.
Starting Job: Operator Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Jul 27 2005Art & Design Department

I did not enjoy the expeience.

1st Year Male -- Class 1993
Campus Aesthetics: B, Individual Value: F

I am a professional artist, yes the real

Nov 14 2004Art & Design Department
I am a professional artist, yes the real thing. I live in NY NY. Memphis College of Art is a joke. The Faculty are not real artist, just left over trash from the 70's. No one there has an ounce of skill or talent. Most of the student population consists of immature, rich, pot heads. You will lear nothing here, after I graduated with a 4.0 I went else were, and got the education that I needed to make a living 100% from art.