StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

MCA does not provide adequate tools for graduates

Jun 19 2004Art & Design Department
MCA does not provide adequate tools for graduates to succeed in the business of art. I graduated completely clueless in marketing, grant writing, and important legal matters that pertain to business. The "counseling" I received during my 4 years at MCA did not prepare me for the real world... surviving and thriving as an ARTIST.
4th Year Female -- Class 1990
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F

Do not go to this art school

Mar 19 2012Other
Do not go to this art school. It's a scam. They Indian give scholarships. They give you many great looking scholarships and grants so you'll continue with registration. After about a month or so they give you a call letting you know that your scholarship "didn't go through after all" and that you owe them money and it's due by the end of the semester. Security is horrible, I had many things stolen from me and I was discouraged by security from filing an actual police report. The professors are incredibly negative and I didn't learn anything from the classes I attended. Going to this school made me re-think what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to do something else instead of waste my time at this scam school. I think you should reconsider going here, too.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

This college is useful if you're truly interested

May 10 2004Art & Design Department
This college is useful if you're truly interested in teaching yourself. Most students attending here retain the 'high school mentality' that's become so comfortable for them and are more interested in hanging out in the student lounge staring at a television for hours and gossiping about their fellow students instead of attempting to produce quality, thought provoking work. Throughout the four years I attended this institution of higher learning, I was never truly inspired by the creativity output of most of my fellow students. This is perhaps partly due to the school administration treating its student body like a bunch of pre-schoolers with a numbered name tag attached to their person. How can they take themselves seriously if noone else is? The valuable skills such as self-marketing, developing a resume, and other basic business aspects involved within the art world that should be taught on some level are overlooked in this environment. Career services are a joke. You'll be lucky to find some menial job after graduating. The institution is more concerned with pumping students money into the exterior of the facilities (landscaping,building rennovations) to lure in perspective students instead of hiring better qualified teachers and more of them so you can actually get the classes you want every semester and graduate on time (total student population of 360 and classes getting filled?) The good thing about all this is that if you are motivated and interested in pursuing your own direction, you have total freedom to do so. Since, most of the administration/faculty couldn't care what you're doing. Excellent preparation for graduate school. Although not worth the $13,000 a year tuition (and rising).
4th Year Male -- Class 2004