StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Dec 12 2010Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc

beautiful city and the school is a bit challenging but its less expensive than KCAI and MICA.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: B

No school is perfect

Jun 12 2011Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
No school is perfect. If you're not getting what you need; find a way to get it.
I had fun at MCA. I learned a few things at MCA.
I learned if you want to be an artist; don't go to any school! You only need to got to (art) school if you want to work for somebody else; then having a diploma -may- help.

The only classes you may need if you want to be an artist are business classes and marketing classes. To learn art, just go to galleries and museums and study the artworks (not pictures of artworks).

Learning about art from an art school is like learning about love from a prostitute...
The movie "Art School Confidential" says it all.
My dream(s) are to either sell my artworks or teach college art. I have yet to achieve either. Since I have not; I have to assume MCA is partly or wholly to blame. For that reason, I rate MCA an 'F'.

Starting Job: Janitor Preparedness: F Reputation: B

This school screwed me over

Sep 03 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This school screwed me over. I was a transfer student and I regret more than anything transferring to this school. I came in the spring semester as a first semester sophomore, when I met with administration officials for orientation there were many many things they "forgot" to tell me, such as every student having a mailbox where important letters and information are placed. The school bought the apartment building I live in and told me they knew I was there, and yet they mailed everything from grades to information on the fall semester to the wrong address, and I never got them. When I was I diagnosed with a severe illness and went to talk to my teachers about extra help I was told to "stop making excuses" and to return when I was ready to be a "serious student." When I talked to the Dean of Students about this she told me it was out of her hands and the school had no written policy on how to handle a student in need. She promised to email my teachers, and never did. This school is all talk. People are very sweet while you're applying but once you're there you get very little. They are also terrible about answering phonecalls, they answer about 1 in 20. And don't ever return messages. If you want to talk to someone, plan on going to the school in person. I would not recommend this school to anyone, ever. They screwed me over and I'm still recovering.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010