StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Dec 12 2010Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc

beautiful city and the school is a bit challenging but its less expensive than KCAI and MICA.

1st Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: B

MCA helped me

Sep 02 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
MCA helped me. I should not have stayed in the studio so much (20 hrs. a day; when not in class). I should have explored Memphis more. Don't expect the teachers to hand feed you the answers; you are responsible for your own academic growth! MCA was the best educational experience I have ever had. Research everything; not just art. Hang in there; don't quit. MCA knows what it is doing. They're turning students into artists.
Starting Job: Graphic Artist Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A

This school screwed me over

Sep 03 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
This school screwed me over. I was a transfer student and I regret more than anything transferring to this school. I came in the spring semester as a first semester sophomore, when I met with administration officials for orientation there were many many things they "forgot" to tell me, such as every student having a mailbox where important letters and information are placed. The school bought the apartment building I live in and told me they knew I was there, and yet they mailed everything from grades to information on the fall semester to the wrong address, and I never got them. When I was I diagnosed with a severe illness and went to talk to my teachers about extra help I was told to "stop making excuses" and to return when I was ready to be a "serious student." When I talked to the Dean of Students about this she told me it was out of her hands and the school had no written policy on how to handle a student in need. She promised to email my teachers, and never did. This school is all talk. People are very sweet while you're applying but once you're there you get very little. They are also terrible about answering phonecalls, they answer about 1 in 20. And don't ever return messages. If you want to talk to someone, plan on going to the school in person. I would not recommend this school to anyone, ever. They screwed me over and I'm still recovering.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010