StudentsReview ™ :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

I don't think this college helped me

Dec 29 2009Art & Design Department
I don't think this college helped me. I got a scholarship here out of high school and thought that was really something but then I transferred my third year to the University of Tennessee which seems to be more in touch with the art world than MCA. I guess MCA seemed too self absorbed and academic but very little real application, job placement and really shoddy internships available. Sorry guys but I would pass this school up.
Starting Job: Graphic Design Preparedness: F Reputation: D

I went on after MCA and to a University

Dec 14 2009Art & Design Department
I went on after MCA and to a University. I have found tons of artists that do just that...MCA is where they start because it feels like staying in the high school art class all day but the Universities are where they go when they want to grow up. I feel MCA is a "starter" college. Not bad just an inbetween place for the younger kids.

There at my university I met more artists that were more successful later in their field than then ones I was with in MCA. I can recognize art from MCA students because they are all very much alike. They don't vary much for thinking outside the teacher's realm. I didn't feel I had much help with career planning at MCA. At my local university my professors helped and I have been showing in galleries all over the USA but this is only from the professionalism of my university professors constantly showing and being in the real artworld. I didn't see that of the professors at MCA. They seemed like all they did was teach and didn't really create beyond that.

Starting Job: freelance artist Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D

This school is focusing

Oct 14 2009Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
This school is focusing too much on increasing enrollment, without the funding or space to do so. The institution is no longer "small by purpose" as it once claimed to be on the admissions brochure.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2009