StudentsReview ™ :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Going to this school was the biggest mistake

Apr 25 2012Art & Design Department
Going to this school was the biggest mistake I ever made.
I entered this school fresh out of high school. I was so excited...art was my passion and what I loved to do more than anything.

The first year wasn't too bad, but it rapidly went downhill.
The school is so focused on constant negativity. I didn't expect to be babied, but to have things I spent a lot of time on made fun of in class with the teacher's approval was horrible.

Once a year, you will have to take all your work in front of a review committee. This is a group of about four teachers who will look at everything you've done and tear you to shreds. Expect to see many heartbroken students that day.

I finally left the school when a teacher I thought highly of (and also happened to be the head of my major) humiliated me in front of the class.

If you go here, the real way to succeed is to become "buddy/buddy" with the teachers. If they don't like a certain style or media, don't do it even if it's what you're best at. If you're quiet and shy like me, don't go here...you will simply get walked over, ignored, set up to fail, and ridiculed.

I am a big believer in constructive criticism, but that is not what I received here. It was like being in high school gym class again, but even worse because this was something I actually cared about.After leaving this school, it took me two years to pick up a pencil to draw again. It's taken me five years to regain my love for art. I am still trying to heal from the horrible experience I had at this school.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

Do not go to this art school

Mar 19 2012Other
Do not go to this art school. It's a scam. They Indian give scholarships. They give you many great looking scholarships and grants so you'll continue with registration. After about a month or so they give you a call letting you know that your scholarship "didn't go through after all" and that you owe them money and it's due by the end of the semester. Security is horrible, I had many things stolen from me and I was discouraged by security from filing an actual police report. The professors are incredibly negative and I didn't learn anything from the classes I attended. Going to this school made me re-think what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to do something else instead of waste my time at this scam school. I think you should reconsider going here, too.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

I decided to leave after one semester

Jan 30 2011Art & Design Department
I decided to leave after one semester. Many instructors seemed tired or disconnected. Simply going through the motions. Technology is not incorporated nearly as it could be. Classes moved at a very slow pace and I learned more by reading books at home. Critiques were absurd and only offering vague general feedback. For the price of this school, it is a poor value for the money. Tuition is nearly 24k a year which breaks down to about $300 per class. I decided to get out before the hole got any deeper. The nail on the coffin was in one class we were doing an exercise on thought mapping and the instructor said the topic was sex and told students to draw first three things that come to mind. After scrawling our vulgar images we were told to tack them to the wall. That is when I realized I was paying $300 to draw a penis and tack it to the wall under the pretense of education. I am moving on to another college.
1st Year Male -- Class 2014