StudentsReview :: The Memphis College of Art - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The Memphis College of Art

Memphis College of Art is different

May 04 2014Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Memphis College of Art is different. There is only one main building for classes. The College itself is in the middle of a park so it is pretty, however I always feel unsettled walking around by myself as i'm constantly being harassed. Parking in the summer and spring is awful, as everyone is trying to be at the park and there are no actual parking spaces surrounding the building. The Fogelman and Metz dorms are nice, but the internet is TERRIBLE. Security makes rounds constantly, but during the two times we've had tornadoes there hasn't been any security in sight. I do not recommend walking in town at any time by yourself, people are scary and the location around it is considerably dangerous. Some teachers are rather snobbish, though not all. Expect to be challenged. I did not enjoy my time here, I'm transferring out.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Useful Schoolwork: A, Education Quality: D

Do not go to this art school

Mar 19 2012Other
Do not go to this art school. It's a scam. They Indian give scholarships. They give you many great looking scholarships and grants so you'll continue with registration. After about a month or so they give you a call letting you know that your scholarship "didn't go through after all" and that you owe them money and it's due by the end of the semester. Security is horrible, I had many things stolen from me and I was discouraged by security from filing an actual police report. The professors are incredibly negative and I didn't learn anything from the classes I attended. Going to this school made me re-think what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to do something else instead of waste my time at this scam school. I think you should reconsider going here, too.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F

Going to this school was the biggest mistake

Apr 25 2012Art & Design Department
Going to this school was the biggest mistake I ever made.
I entered this school fresh out of high school. I was so excited...art was my passion and what I loved to do more than anything.

The first year wasn't too bad, but it rapidly went downhill.
The school is so focused on constant negativity. I didn't expect to be babied, but to have things I spent a lot of time on made fun of in class with the teacher's approval was horrible.

Once a year, you will have to take all your work in front of a review committee. This is a group of about four teachers who will look at everything you've done and tear you to shreds. Expect to see many heartbroken students that day.

I finally left the school when a teacher I thought highly of (and also happened to be the head of my major) humiliated me in front of the class.

If you go here, the real way to succeed is to become "buddy/buddy" with the teachers. If they don't like a certain style or media, don't do it even if it's what you're best at. If you're quiet and shy like me, don't go here...you will simply get walked over, ignored, set up to fail, and ridiculed.

I am a big believer in constructive criticism, but that is not what I received here. It was like being in high school gym class again, but even worse because this was something I actually cared about.After leaving this school, it took me two years to pick up a pencil to draw again. It's taken me five years to regain my love for art. I am still trying to heal from the horrible experience I had at this school.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2006