StudentsReview :: Middle Tennessee State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

Middle Tennessee State University

I love MTSU

Sep 03 2013Physical Therapy/Exercise Science
I love MTSU. Im not a fan of Murfreesboro just because of traffic. My major is perfect and I love all of my Professors. They are so helpful and are actually really cool. I am a senior and I am planning on attending graduate school here. I did hit some bumps in the road on finding my major and some of my advisor I went through were pretty sucky. Just like every school, I hate all the holds that are put on my account for no reason but I always figure it out (you just have to ask). I recommend this place to anyone, I really do love it!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B

I think that regardless of what school you

Oct 08 2013History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I think that regardless of what school you go to, you are responsible for making the most of it. In that regard, I feel that my time at MTSU was successful. I changed and grew and learned, and I loved getting my degree here in History. My professors were great and I enjoyed my research. However, that said, MTSU is not a school you go to in order to gain prestige. It is a good value, and I came away with very little money owed, so that was awesome, but now I have a BA in History and no job and no prospects. I am planning to go on to either law or grad school, but in the meantime, if you know anyone hiring, tell me. ;)
Preparedness: C- Reputation: F

I transferred to MTSU from community college so

Nov 05 2012English
I transferred to MTSU from community college so I was a bit older going into the traditional college environment (although I did experience a semester at UTK which didn't work out for me). I lived on campus in a building that at the time had just been renovated and very easily made wonderful friends. I started my college career by being a History major but then soon changed to Psychology and after that settled with English. Each department was friendly and helpful. Since I have more experience with the English professors I can claim that my professors were quite knowledgeable about their subject, and each are more than happy to help as long as you put in the effort.

I became a Resident Assistant in my second year and continued till I graduated. This means I had to walk around campus at ungodly hours of the night. Personally, I never felt unsafe on campus. Of course, that doesn't mean things don't happen, but you're going to encounter that at most campuses. People have commented on the high number of Memphis residents on campus. Considering my second year I lived in the area that campus police called "mini-Memphis" this claim is quite accurate; however, I personally never had an issue with anyone and to say the campus is "overrun with black people" is quite hyperbole.

Price, location, Coed vs. single gender, and community vs. suite style bathrooms are all factors in choosing on-campus housing, but if anyone wants recommendations I would go with Monohan, Lyon, Smith. Judd, Sims, Beasley, and Gracy are decent, but Deere and Nicks can be swamps when it rains (even on the top floor). Corlew and Cummings I'm least familiar with, but they're the Freshman housing so I stayed away from that since I was a transfer student (although most on-campus housing is filled with Freshmen).

Parking has been an issue for years on campus (and yes, someone did even stab someone for a parking spot). Since I've graduated they have added several construction projects that have cut down on parking spots for students. Although I hardly had issues with parking I can't honestly speak for now. What I can say is that compared to my current university where I'm completing a master's degree, parking decals are over four hundred dollars. Certainly makes me miss MTSU in that regard. Overall, any college experience is what you put into it. I have great friends and great stories from MTSU so I can do nothing but highly recommend it.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+