StudentsReview :: Middle Tennessee State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 10
Females 6
Males 4
Avg years at University 1.8
Research Quality C+ (5.6)
Research Availability C+ (5.2)
Research Funding C (4.7)
Graduate Politics B+ (7.4)
Errand Runners A- (8.3)
Degree Completion A (9.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (7.7)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.3)
Competitiveness B+ (7.6)
Education Quality B+ (7.6)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.3)
Useful Research B- (6.2)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.2)
Friendliness B+ (7.4)
Safety B (7.0)
Campus Beauty B- (6.0)
Campus Maintenance B (7.0)
University Resource/spending B (6.7)
Extracurriculars B- (6.1)
Success-Understanding B+ (8.0)
Surrounding City C+ (5.5)
Social Life/Environment C (4.9)
Research FundingC
Degree CompletionA

This has been the worst experience

Aug 07 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
This has been the worst experience. From the moment I first applied, the admin has given me nothing but constant headaches. My first advisement appointment was a poitive experience, but subsequent appointments were terrible. I had to change advisors, although there is only one advisor in my degree program. My previous advisor told me that because I work full time (in my field), I made a terrible student and that I would either quit or she would "drum [me] out". When i spoke to the head of the department, he told me that many students were having the same issue with the same person, and that he was "reviewing" it. Thankfully, he did change my advisor.

Most of the teachers have been good and interesting, but a few have been very poor.
My largest issue is that I work full time, in my chosen field. I was incredibly lucky to get the job I have, as it's quite a competition to get a spot. Most graduate level classes at MTSU are only offered during the 2:00 slot, meaning I would have to take half days at least one to two times per week. Naturally, my job isn't thrilled with this, and I burnt through all my PTO in one semester. Several classes are offered from 6-9, but they aren't the core classes, they're usually electives. My advisor's response to my concern was that I needed to quit work to prove I was serious about my education- although she admittedly wasn't concerned about my mortgage, car note, insurance, or grocery shopping while I was in school.

The administration and professors are really apathetic to student concerns, even when those concerns are about the course syllabus or projects that are due.I'm currently looking into other programs to get my degree. The stress from this program is NOT worth what I'm getting out of it. All of my courses so far have been simply assigned readings, and a general class discussion on the topic. The professors give little to no feedback to the students to guide them. I could engage in the same conversation at a bar, for significantly less money. I read on my own, at home, so having a list of assigned books does little for me, as I've already read quite a few of the books. If you love to hear yourself talk, or want to join a historical book club, join MTSU's Graduate History program.

MTSU has provided a horrible experience since day

Oct 15 2011Education
MTSU has provided a horrible experience since day one. It's more difficult to register for a class then to actually pass a class. MTSU takes in anyone and everyone. The overcrowding causes courses to be closed on the same day you are able to register. If you're going to allow people into your program then you need to accommodate those people so they can graduate in a reasonable amount of time. The professors are friendly and helpful, but would rather show you a movie then lecture. I wish I would have gone to TSU, at least I would have known what I was getting into, and saved some money.

The actual work and study is right on

Mar 17 2011Accounting
The actual work and study is right on but the campus atmosphere is revolting. I am no racist and there are a lot of friendly African Americans attending this large university with pretty darn good academics in my field, but something has to be done about the threatening behavior of the black men and women that hang around and cause problems. I would never let my kids go here because I wouldn't want them to put up with that shit. It is a shame, because as others have said, you get a great value here with some good instructors and some nice scholarship opportunities. I am old enough and a veteran so I can cope, but a kid shouldn
May 01 2009Accounting

love this school!yay its greatness! :)

MTSU has the type of MBA program whereby

Feb 15 2006Business - Management and Administration
MTSU has the type of MBA program whereby the student must seek out the educational opportunities there. There are research opportunities, study-abroad programs and assistantship programs.

MTSU is not a well-known institution and, as such, you have to prove your qualifications later when you reenter the work force. Therefore in the course work, the student must apply himself more to ensure you master the material particularly in Accounting, Finance and Statistics. If you just try to pass these courses you will pass but won't learn anything. If I were to tell a new MBA student something today, I'd tell him to be proactive in the aforementioned courses- ask question, see your professors regularly for help, do extra homework, etc. The pain during the course will pay off later.

Middle Tennessee State University is a solid school

Dec 17 2004Education
Middle Tennessee State University is a solid school for undergraduates. I think the best thing one can say about the school is that you have to keep in mind how the school ranks in relation to other schools. When you choose any college you need to have in mind your life/career goals and how the college you choose is going to fit into your plan. I see MTSU as a good stepping stone to other things. Practically any program they offer to undergraduates is a strong program, and I believe the school does a good job preparing you for graduate study. If you are looking to be top-notch in your field and you are planning to pursue doctoral study eventually, then you might plan to go to MTSU for your undergraduate studies, perhaps UT for master's level study, and then a top university in your field for doctoral study. However, for some people, MTSU might work well for graduate study as well. Many teachers and others find MTSU's graduate program to be satisfactory. I am currently in graduate programs, and I find both to be meeting my personal needs. I am getting a master's degree in education and mathematics education, and I feel quite prepared to enter doctoral study in either area at top schools if I so choose.

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR