StudentsReview :: Middle Tennessee State University - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 8
Females 4
Males 4
Avg years at University 2.0
Research Quality C+ (5.6)
Research Availability C+ (5.2)
Research Funding C (4.6)
Graduate Politics B+ (7.4)
Errand Runners A- (8.3)
Degree Completion A (9.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B+ (7.8)
Sufficient Pay B- (6.3)
Competitiveness B+ (7.6)
Education Quality B+ (7.6)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.3)
Useful Research B- (6.2)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.3)
Friendliness B+ (7.5)
Safety B (6.9)
Campus Beauty B- (6.0)
Campus Maintenance B (7.0)
University Resource/spending B (6.8)
Extracurriculars B- (6.1)
Success-Understanding B+ (8.0)
Surrounding City C+ (5.5)
Social Life/Environment C (4.9)
Research FundingC
Degree CompletionA

MTSU has provided a horrible experience since day

Oct 15 2011Education
MTSU has provided a horrible experience since day one. It's more difficult to register for a class then to actually pass a class. MTSU takes in anyone and everyone. The overcrowding causes courses to be closed on the same day you are able to register. If you're going to allow people into your program then you need to accommodate those people so they can graduate in a reasonable amount of time. The professors are friendly and helpful, but would rather show you a movie then lecture. I wish I would have gone to TSU, at least I would have known what I was getting into, and saved some money.

The actual work and study is right on

Mar 17 2011Accounting
The actual work and study is right on but the campus atmosphere is revolting. I am no racist and there are a lot of friendly African Americans attending this large university with pretty darn good academics in my field, but something has to be done about the threatening behavior of the black men and women that hang around and cause problems. I would never let my kids go here because I wouldn't want them to put up with that shit. It is a shame, because as others have said, you get a great value here with some good instructors and some nice scholarship opportunities. I am old enough and a veteran so I can cope, but a kid shouldn
May 01 2009Accounting

love this school!yay its greatness! :)

MTSU has the type of MBA program whereby

Feb 15 2006Business - Management and Administration
MTSU has the type of MBA program whereby the student must seek out the educational opportunities there. There are research opportunities, study-abroad programs and assistantship programs.

MTSU is not a well-known institution and, as such, you have to prove your qualifications later when you reenter the work force. Therefore in the course work, the student must apply himself more to ensure you master the material particularly in Accounting, Finance and Statistics. If you just try to pass these courses you will pass but won't learn anything. If I were to tell a new MBA student something today, I'd tell him to be proactive in the aforementioned courses- ask question, see your professors regularly for help, do extra homework, etc. The pain during the course will pay off later.

Middle Tennessee State University is a solid school

Dec 17 2004Education
Middle Tennessee State University is a solid school for undergraduates. I think the best thing one can say about the school is that you have to keep in mind how the school ranks in relation to other schools. When you choose any college you need to have in mind your life/career goals and how the college you choose is going to fit into your plan. I see MTSU as a good stepping stone to other things. Practically any program they offer to undergraduates is a strong program, and I believe the school does a good job preparing you for graduate study. If you are looking to be top-notch in your field and you are planning to pursue doctoral study eventually, then you might plan to go to MTSU for your undergraduate studies, perhaps UT for master's level study, and then a top university in your field for doctoral study. However, for some people, MTSU might work well for graduate study as well. Many teachers and others find MTSU's graduate program to be satisfactory. I am currently in graduate programs, and I find both to be meeting my personal needs. I am getting a master's degree in education and mathematics education, and I feel quite prepared to enter doctoral study in either area at top schools if I so choose.

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR