StudentsReview ™ :: Southern Adventist University - Comments and Student Experiences

Andrews University -- Berrien Springs, MI
La Sierra University -- Riverside, CA

Southern Adventist University

Apr 21 2014Other

this place makes me want to cry. EVERYDAY.

I don't know what some people are complaining

Aug 24 2013Religion/Religious
I don't know what some people are complaining about. I graduated from SAU not too long ago and I LOVED my experience there! I transferred to SAU from another SDA university, and I can honestly say that transferring to SAU was the best decision I ever made. no joke. I even met people who transferred from my old school to here, and they also had a positive experience at SAU.

Since I already had many of my general eds out of the way by the time I transferred in, I can't really talk much about other departments. However, the professors in the Religion department were some of the best and very helpful in college career. If anyone is looking for a religion course to take, take any class from Dr. Alan Parker, Dr. King, or Dr. Samaan! They're all great.

Even though SAU is known to be that "strict/conservative" SDA school, I never felt like I was being judged or condemned for doing something that might have been considered "bad" in academy (like wearing shorts or jewelry). Sure, worship is required, but seriously, it's not that hard! Most worships weren't even 30 mins long. And if you really can't handle that load, get a petition to get reduced worship.

The dorms were okay. Close proximity to the cafeteria, gym, classrooms (even though you do have to climb a million stairs). It's probably a good idea to get a bike while you're there. I loved living in Southern Village though! It's pretty much an apartment for junior/seniors with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, your own laundry washer/dryer, that's only a five minute walk to campus. However, by that time you're a senior you should already have that option to go off campus too.

I came to SAU with a positive and open mindset. I didn't know anyone when I came to the school, but I was able to make so many friends just the first week alone. Even though it's been a while since I graduated from SAU, I still keep in contact with alot of people who are still there, even with some of my professors!

There's a difference in comments between those who went to SAU for only a year, and those who actually graduated from Southern. It's expected in college there will be times when you just can't wait to go home or graduate. However, when that time comes and it's your graduation weekend, you'll actually realize and appreciate what SAU has done for you.

I believe your college experience is what YOU make it out to be. I really miss the school alot. I'm a proud graduate from SAU, and I thank God for bringing me all the way here. It'll definitely be the one of the best experiences you'll ever have, as long as you make it out to be that way. :)(BTW, Dr. Bietz is awesome!!)

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+

STAY AWAY! Go to a different Adventist or

Aug 07 2013Biology
STAY AWAY! Go to a different Adventist or Christian school. Southern is all about the dollar bill. They threatened to take away my financial aid if I decided to move off campus without their permission because I'm not 21 even though I am a senior. They treat you like a child at this institution, & the teachers are so close minded. I made a speech about same sex marriage and my speech teacher got upset, walked out while I was presenting, and gave me an F for that speech. He told me that it was wrong of me to even speak about that topic. So much for freedom of speech. Also, my biology professor took the time out in class for what he called "worship" in which he ranted about how mad he was that people of color and women are getting more leadership roles, and white males are losing them, and how Hollywood makes people of color look so smart. His words exactly. This school is not christian at all. If you're a woman or a person of color, expect to be treated like a second rate citizen. While they are lenient on the boys, and allow them to bring their flat screen TVs and game consoles, if you're a girl forget about it. The deans said girls aren't allowed to bring things like that. Also, there was no way for me to study, work, and participate in the 40+ worship programs that're mandatory. If you miss one, at the end of the semester you have a large fine.

The students here are very judgmental and have a holier than thou attitude. This is extremely ironic, seeing as if you go on the trails on campus, you'll find condom wrappers in the bushes, and on top of the Goliath Wall. The girls will give you rude remarks and stares if you don't dress like Ellen G. White reincarnated, and take pleasure in calling other girls whores to their face if they don't look like them.

For a church with the health message, this school is extremely unhealthy. They smother everything with cheese and salt, and try to sell you Debby Cakes. Forget about eating vegetables and fruits because they mark up the healthy foods and make them so expensive to buy!I would never send my child to this school. I am transferring because of the sexism, racism, and ignorance I've experienced and endured at this institution while they put up a false show for your parents, pretending to be Christians.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014