StudentsReview :: Southern Adventist University - Comments and Student Experiences

Andrews University -- Berrien Springs, MI
La Sierra University -- Riverside, CA

Southern Adventist University

Southern Is going to be what you makeBrightPhysical Therapy/Exercise Science
Southern Is going to be what you make of it. Keep in Mind this is a Private Christian Seventh Day Adventist University so of course the average partying, drinking, and raves are not going to exist in such an atmosphere. I worked for the Dorms and I will say that the females got alot less slack than the males and were more strict than the males which was sad but again SDAs are known to be shallow and sheltered. The reason most of the campus and faculty treat the students like children is because they are responsible for what happens to the students. Ifa girl pops up pregnant the school is responsible and potentially can be sued. SO with that being said I would say the campus life is mild and bland from other universities I have visited esp with the curfews but again its a SDA Private Uni.I wouldnt recommend this Uni for the older students or less sheltered students but for those leaving the academies you'll fit right in this is where your parents would want you.
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Social Life: C-
Other
This place makes me want to cry. EVERYDAY.
I don't know what some people are complainingAverageReligion/Religious
I don't know what some people are complaining about. I graduated from SAU not too long ago and I LOVED my experience there! I transferred to SAU from another SDA university, and I can honestly say that transferring to SAU was the best decision I ever made. no joke. I even met people who transferred from my old school to here, and they also had a positive experience at SAU.

Since I already had many of my general eds out of the way by the time I transferred in, I can't really talk much about other departments. However, the professors in the Religion department were some of the best and very helpful in college career. If anyone is looking for a religion course to take, take any class from Dr. Alan Parker, Dr. King, or Dr. Samaan! They're all great.

Even though SAU is known to be that "strict/conservative" SDA school, I never felt like I was being judged or condemned for doing something that might have been considered "bad" in academy (like wearing shorts or jewelry). Sure, worship is required, but seriously, it's not that hard! Most worships weren't even 30 mins long. And if you really can't handle that load, get a petition to get reduced worship.

The dorms were okay. Close proximity to the cafeteria, gym, classrooms (even though you do have to climb a million stairs). It's probably a good idea to get a bike while you're there. I loved living in Southern Village though! It's pretty much an apartment for junior/seniors with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, your own laundry washer/dryer, that's only a five minute walk to campus. However, by that time you're a senior you should already have that option to go off campus too.

I came to SAU with a positive and open mindset. I didn't know anyone when I came to the school, but I was able to make so many friends just the first week alone. Even though it's been a while since I graduated from SAU, I still keep in contact with alot of people who are still there, even with some of my professors!

There's a difference in comments between those who went to SAU for only a year, and those who actually graduated from Southern. It's expected in college there will be times when you just can't wait to go home or graduate. However, when that time comes and it's your graduation weekend, you'll actually realize and appreciate what SAU has done for you.

I believe your college experience is what YOU make it out to be. I really miss the school alot. I'm a proud graduate from SAU, and I thank God for bringing me all the way here. It'll definitely be the one of the best experiences you'll ever have, as long as you make it out to be that way. :)(BTW, Dr. Bietz is awesome!!)

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B+