StudentsReview :: The University of Tennessee - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Tennessee

UT was my first choice school out of

Apr 18 2014Psychology
UT was my first choice school out of state. The atmosphere was surprisingly very open minded and conducive to creative thinking. Students are extremely friendly, as are faculty members. The athletic facilities, social experience, and gorgeous Southern belles are the best parts about the school. The worst things were the campus food and the red tape bureaucracy of the administrative departments.
4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Friendliness: A, Individual Value: C

The recent push to make the top 25

Aug 07 2014Other
The recent push to make the top 25 research schools in America has resulted in a serious push to increase the 4 year graduation rate. The real result is that individual student needs are sometimes left by the wayside. If you aren't ready to declare a major or need to change your major due to realizing you are in the wrong program, they really pressure you to stay on track, regardless of what you or your family want. I was actively lied to by an advisor about requirements, transfer possibilities, job opportunities in the new field that interested me and finally threatened that dropping a class could result in being ejected from my dormitory. I later found this would not have been so. I have since transferred so that I can pursue my degree in what I hope is four years, but might be five. I'm o.k. with that and I don't need my university deciding otherwise. I never wanted to attend any other university. Many members of my family graduated from UT. I didn't make this decision lightly. I hope they begin to see how they are treating their students for the sake of this ranking. It doesn't seem worthwhile.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B+, Individual Value: F

Background:

Dec 10 2012Social Work
Background: When I was a little girl, growing up in Gainesville, Florida, all I wanted to do when I grew up was be a dazzler at UF. Sadly, when I was 11, we moved to Knoxville, so here I am... a disappointed and unfulfilled UT student.

Overall, this school could be worse. My program itself is great and I would highly recommend it (Social work). However, as someone else pointed out, it feels like every girl I run into outside of social work classes is a "Communications" major, whatever the hell that is, and every guy is majoring in business. Some students are similar to me in their disdain for the sorostitute/fratdaddy mill that is UT social life. I have also noticed that all the girls and guys look alike.

The professors I've had have been great so far... overall. I went to a community college for a while, and the profs there for gen ed were WAY better. Gen ed classes at UT are primarily taught by grad students, and not very well at that. Higher level classes have good quality professors that are easy to talk to, in my experience.

Campus: This has got to be one of the worst things about UT. The construction right now makes the campus look that much worse. The buildings have nice architecture on the outside, and the new buildings are really nice inside as well. However, most of the buildings are older, and feel really grungy and run down on the inside. I guess all the money they pour into their shitty athletics and the buyouts of 4 different coaches are really taking a toll. I love schools that have their priorities straight. Safety really is a problem on campus too.

Big Orange Screw: Everyone experiences it at some level. Luckily I will mostly be able to escape unscathed. You really, really need to be diligent in doing your homework and making sure your advisor knows what the hell they are talking about to avoid this though.

Parking: All other comments are not kidding. I commute and don't buy a parking pass because all that buys you is the right to look for parking. It's ridiculous.Overall, like I said, it could be worse. I'm sure if I wanted to party all the time and be super cool I would be all like "this school is totally awesome!" but I'm here to get a degree.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014