StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Tennessee - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Tennessee

UT was my first choice school out of

Apr 18 2014Psychology
UT was my first choice school out of state. The atmosphere was surprisingly very open minded and conducive to creative thinking. Students are extremely friendly, as are faculty members. The athletic facilities, social experience, and gorgeous Southern belles are the best parts about the school. The worst things were the campus food and the red tape bureaucracy of the administrative departments.
4th Year Male -- Class 2010
Friendliness: A, Individual Value: C

Background:

Dec 10 2012Social Work
Background: When I was a little girl, growing up in Gainesville, Florida, all I wanted to do when I grew up was be a dazzler at UF. Sadly, when I was 11, we moved to Knoxville, so here I am... a disappointed and unfulfilled UT student.

Overall, this school could be worse. My program itself is great and I would highly recommend it (Social work). However, as someone else pointed out, it feels like every girl I run into outside of social work classes is a "Communications" major, whatever the hell that is, and every guy is majoring in business. Some students are similar to me in their disdain for the sorostitute/fratdaddy mill that is UT social life. I have also noticed that all the girls and guys look alike.

The professors I've had have been great so far... overall. I went to a community college for a while, and the profs there for gen ed were WAY better. Gen ed classes at UT are primarily taught by grad students, and not very well at that. Higher level classes have good quality professors that are easy to talk to, in my experience.

Campus: This has got to be one of the worst things about UT. The construction right now makes the campus look that much worse. The buildings have nice architecture on the outside, and the new buildings are really nice inside as well. However, most of the buildings are older, and feel really grungy and run down on the inside. I guess all the money they pour into their shitty athletics and the buyouts of 4 different coaches are really taking a toll. I love schools that have their priorities straight. Safety really is a problem on campus too.

Big Orange Screw: Everyone experiences it at some level. Luckily I will mostly be able to escape unscathed. You really, really need to be diligent in doing your homework and making sure your advisor knows what the hell they are talking about to avoid this though.

Parking: All other comments are not kidding. I commute and don't buy a parking pass because all that buys you is the right to look for parking. It's ridiculous.Overall, like I said, it could be worse. I'm sure if I wanted to party all the time and be super cool I would be all like "this school is totally awesome!" but I'm here to get a degree.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Campus Aesthetics: F

To anyone reading this review, keep in mind

Oct 08 2012English
To anyone reading this review, keep in mind that I'm a reserved introvert who doesn't like to screw around with frats and sororities. I came from a small community college and that probably has a lot to do with my perception of UT so far. Simply put, I didn't know how good I had it at my humble little community college.

The negatives first: the campus is gigantic, parts are unattractive and constantly undergoing construction, it's hilly, and parking for students is UNACCEPTABLE. Seriously, the university is here to SERVE the students, not the other way around, and they can't even provide adequate parking for us. The campus police LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to ticket anybody they can, so watch out for that. If you don't like to walk, you'll hate it here. I like the exercise, but some people might be turned off by that.

Many of the classes are huge and impersonal, which I hate. You feel like just a number at this school and if you don't have a social life on campus, forget about enjoying your time at UT. You've either got to have a lot of friends there, or be rooming on campus. That's probably true for most universities, however. The atmosphere is quite elite and clique-y. A lot of sorority girls in UT sweatshirts and yoga pants. I, for whatever reason, am subjected to extreme mean-mugging from these types of girls and can't quite figure out why. I don't dress like them, but I'm not too flashy or sloppy, either. Just jeans and a cute, casual top. Seriously, most of the guys are decent, but if you're a girl be prepared for cattiness here. These girls like to stare!

Many of the teachers are great, but like any school you get your share of pomposity and arrogance. I have three decent professors, but one is literally the most horrendous and bad-tempered dolt I've ever met in a school setting. I've met some ill-tempered staff members as well. They're individuals like anybody else, but they're not the friendliest or most helpful.

Good things: if you do live on campus and want to get involved in stuff, there are literally dozens of clubs and activities that should appeal to you. The school is right there off the strip, so on the weekend you have plenty of places at which to get blitzed. The school is one of the top-rated in the country, so you get the "prestige" of attending, too. And yes, if you're a football fan, you'll fit right in.

If you're a typical beer-chugging, yoga pant wearing, get- laid-as-much-as possible, football-loving, and spoiled rich kid whose parents can pay for them to live on campus or in the oh-so-lovely Woodland Condos, congrats. You'll love it here. If you're not any of those things, I suggest looking elsewhere. I'm disappointed.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014