StudentsReview :: The University of Tennessee - Knoxville - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Tennessee - Knoxville

I cannot imagine being any happier with aQuite BrightNuclear Engineering
I cannot imagine being any happier with a school than I am right now. In short, I love this place. I love it so much I'm staying for the Summer. I love the academics, the campus vibe, the school spirit, the location, the extracurriculars, I really can't complain about anything. Four years will go quickly here, I can't believe year 1 is almost done.
1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
This university is very unsafe for women.
This university is very unsafe for women. The guys will rape anyone at any time. Then, due to Title IX, the administration will go on the attack with the female, trying to get them to report it or shut up. The administration puts "holds" on the females' accounts, not letting them register, get their final grades, or move forward with the university unless they divulge the gory details of the rape. And then, of course, the females have been through all of this for nothing. The guy gets away scot-free, and is protected by the university, as anything a female says is held against her. It is an ass-backwards place, and do not go here.
In-state tuition is decent for a public universitySuper BrilliantFinance
In-state tuition is decent for a public university but the school will bleed you dry every chance it gets. Parking passes are $186 for a COMMUTER and they sell two passes for every parking spot. If you get here after 9 or 10 am, good luck finding a spot. If you CAN'T find one, you either have to pay for a meter, if they're open, or take a ticket. The campus tickets LIBERALLY. They charge all kinds of fees in addition to tuition also. I work on campus all year long but can't use any of the facilities I actually have time for in the summer because I'm not taking classes. So the hundreds of dollars in fees I pay in the fall and spring for things I don't have time to use are not available. A summer parking pass must also be purchased. I have had very few classes with under 50 people and have to take 4 classes this semester with 700 people apiece. However, this doesn't bother me. I prefer the big classes to the smaller ones. My biggest issue is the gen ed requirements. I'm all for being made into a well-rounded adult but some of them are ridiculous, especially in the College of Business. Students have to take core classes in every department and it's ridiculous. I could have told you I wasn't going to enjoy Statistics but I had to take it anyway and got a horrid professor for it. College of Bus. students are also restricted in their choices of gen eds. You can't take ANY arts and humanities course, you have to choose one from a small list that probably doesn't include anything interesting. Having to take an intermediate level foreign language was a drag also. 20 credits hours, four semesters later and I'm finally finished with Mandarin. The advisers aren't overly helpful on choosing a major either. A collateral is required in the business school and the adviser's only suggestion to me was "ask around." The constant construction is a bit depressing. I'm all for improving campus but you can't be on campus without hearing a jackhammer or something. Freshmen are required to either live at home or in a dorm. I got my commuter form notarized saying I would be living at home and moved into an apartment the summer before I started. I highly recommend this option to any prospective student responsible enough for it. You save money on parking passes, noncommuter passes run around 300, and you save several THOUSAND dollars in renting vs staying a dorm. As well as having your own room. I've heard nothing but horror stories about dorms. Alarms going off at 3 am, horrible roommates, non-working elevators, broken heat or A/C, etc etc. Whereas my apartment was never anything except perfect. DON'T LIVE IN THE FORT. STAY AWAY FROM THE FORT. I had the grand idea of parking there instead of buying a summer pass and my car was broken into in the middle of the day, broad daylight. During the semester, you also receive an unfortunate amount of emails from UTPD notifying the campus of a robbery, assault, or rape incidence. I never got into the party or sorority scene. I go to school, go to work, come home and do homework.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017