StudentsReview :: The University of Tennessee - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Tennessee

I am from Knoxville, and always vowed to

Sep 11 2012English
I am from Knoxville, and always vowed to never go to UTK. I went to UTC my first two years of college and loved it, but hated how small it was. When I decided to transfer it was between MTSU and UTK, I hate Murfreesboro and my family and friends wanted be in Knoxville, so I decided on UTK.

It was probably the worst decision I've ever made. One of the few things I did like about UTK was the campus. I thought it was gorgeous, and I really don't mind the hills at all. Now it is all under construction and makes walks to and from classes even more inconvenient.

The worst part about UTK is the people. I'm sorry, but THEY SUCK. And after coming from UTC where everyone is very artsy and different and marching to the beat of their own drum, but still totally accepting of others...this was a major shock for me. Just because I don't look like all the others girls in work out clothes, I get evil glances from every girl. You would also think UTK would be reasonably better than UTC academic wise, but pretty much everything I am learning now at UTK, i already learned at UTC. The problem with UTK is they think they're better than everyone else. Students, faculty, everything about UT is pumping up big orange vol spirit, and the reality is this place is a shithole. I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C-

students especially the guys

Apr 12 2011Math
students especially the guys in north carrick are bad influence; in addition, the girls in south carrick are super flirt. they flirt with every guys in north carrick.guys in north carrick should STOP drinking alcohol in the resident hall

Background:

Dec 10 2012Social Work
Background: When I was a little girl, growing up in Gainesville, Florida, all I wanted to do when I grew up was be a dazzler at UF. Sadly, when I was 11, we moved to Knoxville, so here I am... a disappointed and unfulfilled UT student.

Overall, this school could be worse. My program itself is great and I would highly recommend it (Social work). However, as someone else pointed out, it feels like every girl I run into outside of social work classes is a "Communications" major, whatever the hell that is, and every guy is majoring in business. Some students are similar to me in their disdain for the sorostitute/fratdaddy mill that is UT social life. I have also noticed that all the girls and guys look alike.

The professors I've had have been great so far... overall. I went to a community college for a while, and the profs there for gen ed were WAY better. Gen ed classes at UT are primarily taught by grad students, and not very well at that. Higher level classes have good quality professors that are easy to talk to, in my experience.

Campus: This has got to be one of the worst things about UT. The construction right now makes the campus look that much worse. The buildings have nice architecture on the outside, and the new buildings are really nice inside as well. However, most of the buildings are older, and feel really grungy and run down on the inside. I guess all the money they pour into their shitty athletics and the buyouts of 4 different coaches are really taking a toll. I love schools that have their priorities straight. Safety really is a problem on campus too.

Big Orange Screw: Everyone experiences it at some level. Luckily I will mostly be able to escape unscathed. You really, really need to be diligent in doing your homework and making sure your advisor knows what the hell they are talking about to avoid this though.

Parking: All other comments are not kidding. I commute and don't buy a parking pass because all that buys you is the right to look for parking. It's ridiculous.Overall, like I said, it could be worse. I'm sure if I wanted to party all the time and be super cool I would be all like "this school is totally awesome!" but I'm here to get a degree.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014