StudentsReview :: The University of Tennessee - Knoxville - Comments and Student Experiences

Arkansas State University -- Jonesboro, AR

The University of Tennessee - Knoxville

I transferred here because my original University didBrightOther
I transferred here because my original University did not offer Speech Pathology as a major and hat is what I decided I wanted to do with my life. That being said, I cannot wait to get out of here and get on with my life. I feel like all my (high) tuition goes towards making the (not so great) football team look good, while the campus is ugly, the student amenities are awful, and necessary resources are limited. The dorms are small and dirty, but still expensive. I went from receiving 3 different scholarships to one (provided by the state, not the school) and they still charge students for silly things like admissions into some clubs, or there are rumors that meal plans will soon be required for students, whether you're on campus or not.There are very few faculty members who have made me feel like a person, not just a name on a page. Friends are hard to make because you never see the same person twice on this huge (ugly) campus. The surrounding city does have a nice square about 15 minutes away from campus. I'll give it that. But after you get tired of the four boutiques and six restaurants that are there, there's not much (so if boutiques aren't your thing and you can't afford to eat out a lot, sorry). The rest of the city is dirty and industrial and feels sketchy. I could go on and on about my distaste for this school.
University Resource Use: A-, Faculty Accessibility: F
The recent push to make the top 25BrightOther
The recent push to make the top 25 research schools in America has resulted in a serious push to increase the 4 year graduation rate. The real result is that individual student needs are sometimes left by the wayside. If you aren't ready to declare a major or need to change your major due to realizing you are in the wrong program, they really pressure you to stay on track, regardless of what you or your family want. I was actively lied to by an advisor about requirements, transfer possibilities, job opportunities in the new field that interested me and finally threatened that dropping a class could result in being ejected from my dormitory. I later found this would not have been so. I have since transferred so that I can pursue my degree in what I hope is four years, but might be five. I'm o.k. with that and I don't need my university deciding otherwise. I never wanted to attend any other university. Many members of my family graduated from UT. I didn't make this decision lightly. I hope they begin to see how they are treating their students for the sake of this ranking. It doesn't seem worthwhile.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Surrounding City: B+, Individual Value: F
Background:Quite BrightSocial Work
Background: When I was a little girl, growing up in Gainesville, Florida, all I wanted to do when I grew up was be a dazzler at UF. Sadly, when I was 11, we moved to Knoxville, so here I am... a disappointed and unfulfilled UT student.

Overall, this school could be worse. My program itself is great and I would highly recommend it (Social work). However, as someone else pointed out, it feels like every girl I run into outside of social work classes is a "Communications" major, whatever the hell that is, and every guy is majoring in business. Some students are similar to me in their disdain for the sorostitute/fratdaddy mill that is UT social life. I have also noticed that all the girls and guys look alike.

The professors I've had have been great so far... overall. I went to a community college for a while, and the profs there for gen ed were WAY better. Gen ed classes at UT are primarily taught by grad students, and not very well at that. Higher level classes have good quality professors that are easy to talk to, in my experience.

Campus: This has got to be one of the worst things about UT. The construction right now makes the campus look that much worse. The buildings have nice architecture on the outside, and the new buildings are really nice inside as well. However, most of the buildings are older, and feel really grungy and run down on the inside. I guess all the money they pour into their shitty athletics and the buyouts of 4 different coaches are really taking a toll. I love schools that have their priorities straight. Safety really is a problem on campus too.

Big Orange Screw: Everyone experiences it at some level. Luckily I will mostly be able to escape unscathed. You really, really need to be diligent in doing your homework and making sure your advisor knows what the hell they are talking about to avoid this though.

Parking: All other comments are not kidding. I commute and don't buy a parking pass because all that buys you is the right to look for parking. It's ridiculous.Overall, like I said, it could be worse. I'm sure if I wanted to party all the time and be super cool I would be all like "this school is totally awesome!" but I'm here to get a degree.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Campus Aesthetics: F
Compare UTenn-KnoxvilleSave UTenn-Knoxville

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→