StudentsReview :: Abilene Christian University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Harding University -- Searcy, AR
Southwestern Oklahoma State University -- Weatherford, OK

Abilene Christian University

ACU is a great place for a studentAverageSchool of Information
ACU is a great place for a student who is contempt on attending a University where they can live a "overly Chrsitian" lifestyle for four years. I, myself am I Christian and even growing up Catholic I felt that the Church of Christ teachings in ACU were OVERLY abundant and VERY strict. For example ACU students are required to attened chapel regularly. If you don't make the required hours you are put on "conduct probabtion" for the following semester. All freshman have curfew Monday - Thursday at Midnight. If you are caught missing curfew two times I believe you have to pay a $75 dollar fine. They litteraly treat Freshman like they are in Middle School....ex. (All websites in dorms that are offensive are blocked, TV stations that don't reflect ACU's mission are blocked in dorms, a student came in drunk to the dorms the other weekend and had the cops called on him?) Also, THERE IS ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING TO DO IN ABILENE. Besides Guitars on Thursday nights ( a country dance hall) and house parties on the weekends you will have trouble finding things to do. Unless you are contempt on playing video games in your dorms all the time. I came into ACU expecting the Athletics to be exciting...quite frankly nobody attends any of the sports games and the football team plays at a high school stadium. ACU was WAY different than I expected it to be coming in as a freshman. The education is pretty good and the teachers really do care about each student, but it's hard to say that's enough. Also, most students know each other before they even show up for orientation so on the first day there are already cliques. Mainly because more than half of the students who go here are first or second or even third generation students and all grew up in the Church of Christ community. The main thing is if you want to have a very fun college experience DO NOT GOHERE. But in some cases this school fits people perfectly and they end up loving it here. As for me Im already trying to transfer. I hate to say this but I hated this school since the first day of "Welcome Week" if you are planning on going here make a visit during the weekend.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Social Life: F
Nice campus. WAY to EXPENSIVE!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Social Life: B, Education Quality: F
There are many things that Abilene Christian UniversityBrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
There are many things that Abilene Christian University doesn't say when you come to visit, or things that aren't apparent until you actually start attending. First of all, pretty much everyone who goes here is like 4th generation to attend ACU or like their whole family attended this school, so they know everyone and how everything happens there on the first day. Therefore, because everyone knows everyone, it is very difficult to make friends, because everyone already has a huge group of friends, so you're sort of invisible.

Also, they push this "mobile learning device" thing so much, yet I have hardly ever actually used it for a class, so it was kind of a waste of money.

Another thing is that even though you are already paying a ton of money to attend school here, they still want you to pay for a lot of other things-- like if you go to the clinic on campus, it costs $15. and if you attend events like Freshman Follies, you are expected to pay for a ticket. I call all of these things "hidden fees."

THEY DO NOT TAKE 3s FOR AP SCORES!! I found that out the hard way.
I am not Church of Christ (I'm nondenominational) and I didn't really think it would be a big deal if I attended a Church of Christ college, but they require you to go to Chapel, which is where it is very evident that it's Church of Christ. They worship without musical instruments, and they pretty much only sing like old hymns.

Even though this is a Christian school, it's very liberal, which I do not like one bit, but that's a personal opinion.

Everyone I've met hardly acts like a Christian (they are very compromising) and to me, I chose a Christian school so that I could be surrounded by fellow Christians..

The food here SUCKS!! and the meal plan is waay too expensive for the quality of food that you get. I could go on a really long rant about the food, but I won't, just trust me, it's gross. and you can't use your "Bean Bucks" (our dining hall is called The Bean) off campus, so you end up paying a lot for a meal plan AND then to eat off campus. it's pretty ridiculous.

Also, the rules here are pretty strict (which I don't mind, but some people complain about them. (midnight curfew on weekdays, no drugs/alcohol on campus, no person of the opposite sex in your dorm room except on certain days at certain times, etc.)

The city of Abilene is like all old people and undergraduate college kids. SO there is really nothing to do for fun in Abilene. There's the Zoo and the small mall and the movies, and a dance hall. And that is pretty much it. I'm considering transfering already. The cons outweigh the pros.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015