StudentsReview :: Abilene Christian University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Harding University -- Searcy, AR
Southwestern Oklahoma State University -- Weatherford, OK

Abilene Christian University

Nice campus. WAY to EXPENSIVE!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Social Life: B, Education Quality: F
There are many things that Abilene Christian UniversityBrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
There are many things that Abilene Christian University doesn't say when you come to visit, or things that aren't apparent until you actually start attending. First of all, pretty much everyone who goes here is like 4th generation to attend ACU or like their whole family attended this school, so they know everyone and how everything happens there on the first day. Therefore, because everyone knows everyone, it is very difficult to make friends, because everyone already has a huge group of friends, so you're sort of invisible.

Also, they push this "mobile learning device" thing so much, yet I have hardly ever actually used it for a class, so it was kind of a waste of money.

Another thing is that even though you are already paying a ton of money to attend school here, they still want you to pay for a lot of other things-- like if you go to the clinic on campus, it costs $15. and if you attend events like Freshman Follies, you are expected to pay for a ticket. I call all of these things "hidden fees."

THEY DO NOT TAKE 3s FOR AP SCORES!! I found that out the hard way.
I am not Church of Christ (I'm nondenominational) and I didn't really think it would be a big deal if I attended a Church of Christ college, but they require you to go to Chapel, which is where it is very evident that it's Church of Christ. They worship without musical instruments, and they pretty much only sing like old hymns.

Even though this is a Christian school, it's very liberal, which I do not like one bit, but that's a personal opinion.

Everyone I've met hardly acts like a Christian (they are very compromising) and to me, I chose a Christian school so that I could be surrounded by fellow Christians..

The food here SUCKS!! and the meal plan is waay too expensive for the quality of food that you get. I could go on a really long rant about the food, but I won't, just trust me, it's gross. and you can't use your "Bean Bucks" (our dining hall is called The Bean) off campus, so you end up paying a lot for a meal plan AND then to eat off campus. it's pretty ridiculous.

Also, the rules here are pretty strict (which I don't mind, but some people complain about them. (midnight curfew on weekdays, no drugs/alcohol on campus, no person of the opposite sex in your dorm room except on certain days at certain times, etc.)

The city of Abilene is like all old people and undergraduate college kids. SO there is really nothing to do for fun in Abilene. There's the Zoo and the small mall and the movies, and a dance hall. And that is pretty much it. I'm considering transfering already. The cons outweigh the pros.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
ACU like every institution has many flaws.Quite BrightSocial Work
ACU like every institution has many flaws. The school is becoming more and more expensive each year with tuition being raised 8-10% yearly. There are strict rules that are enforced. Despite the negative aspects, ACU is an amazing place. If you connect with the right people you can definitely grow spiritually. There are plenty of service opportunities where you can give back to the community and help serve underprivileged populations in Abilene and actively live out your faith. Service is central to the mission of the school. Abilene isn't the most entertaining city but if you get involved and spend time with the right people you can have fun. The professors are very welcoming and encouraging. I am from Los Angeles and I will say that transitioning from a big city to a smaller town is often difficult at first but it grows on you. Get involved! Build good relationships with your professors and study!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012