StudentsReview :: Angelo State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Southern California -- Los Angeles, CA

Angelo State University

Ive had a greatQuite BrightPsychology
Ive had a great experience in my first year at ASU. Its easy to make friends, lots of clubs to join, lots of parties, people are generally welcoming. The classes aren't easy but the professors are pretty good.
1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: B
I am currently a sophomore here at ASU,BrightCommunications
I am currently a sophomore here at ASU, and overall my experience here has had a few ups and MANY downs.

The Ups:
-The campus is very safe and barely any criminal activity happens here.
-The ONLY friendly and approachable people are those who are NOT from West Texas cities and towns or have traveled outside of the city/region/state once or more in their lives.

-The administration is pretty helpful and cooperative.
-Most of the professors here I've had were friendly and approachable, but I'm only saying this because I actually researched my professors before I chose them (thanks to the Rate My Professor website).

The Downs (which mostly outweighs the Ups):

-A LOT of the courses here are not challenging AT ALL! I came here expecting good, challenging college work and all I get is crap that I could've done back in high school! The academics are so-so, but not challenging.

-Like other previous comments below me, this school is VERY ultra conservative and close-minded. They do not like liberals/Democrats at all (they ALWAYS talk bad about Obama and some even called him the Devil) and they always seem uneasy and nervous around minorities that aren't Mexicans. If you are open-minded, unique or diverse, then this school isn't for you I'm afraid. There's barely any diversity here. This school is mostly white and hispanic and some of the people here on this campus AND the city are racist! Most of the people here have terrible social skills so don't expect to befriend a lot of San Angelo locals and have lasting friendships with them.

-San Angelo is boring as hell. This city is mostly Republican and filled with Caucasians and Mexicans (not that I have anything against them). The only Blacks and Asians you'll find in this city is in ASU! The night life here is terrible and there's barely any clubs and bars. This is all due to the super-religious nature of the city and because of that they mostly got rid of all the clubs and bars except a few. Speaking of religion (I'm a deist), a lot of the citizens here are hardcore Christians like someone below me said. I can't tell you the countless times I've had a conversation with someone that led to these questions, "Do you go to church?" or "What church do you go to?" Seriously is it really that important to know? And do we really need 7-8 religious Christian organizations and Bible-study classes run by area churches on a small campus? Hell, even the frats/sororities are somewhat religious.

-Dorm life here is terrible. I've stayed in three of them so far here and they all suck! The reasons for my moving is all due to the students and my roommates. They are all lazy, annoying, uptight jerks who do stupid stuff and rob others. The roommates I've had we're all from towns/cities in the West and South regions with barely any diversity, so it was hard for me to get along with them since they never really dealt with a Black person. I only had three good roommates but the other six were just horrible people. I think the administration is lazy on room assignment because I'm not the only on this that complains about my roommates (roughly 70% of us here do).

-The meal plan here sucks. Breakfast is good, but lunch and dinner here is nasty. I recommend that you stay off the meal plan or try it and get use to the food like I did.That's all I have to say about this pathetic excuse of a school. Do not believe any of the positive comments and take advice from the negative ones. I came here without little knowledge and coming here is now the single biggest mistake of my life. I would transfer, but I do not wish to go through that trouble. I will not be going here for grad school, though. All in all, stay away from this school. If you come here, you'll regret it later in the long run. I can't wait to graduate.

1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Scholastic Success: A, Collaboration/Competitive: F
The school is not challenging in there courses,Quite BrightPsychology
The school is not challenging in there courses, it seems that students are only numbers for the university. Professors are there, but not so much helpful and not encouraging towqards students-so why attend their university? Doesn't make sense. They embrace international students, when they need to be concentrating on students in surrounding areas as well as graduates in their city. Not too hard to figure out that one, but for some reason ASU hasn't. I would definitely encourage students to attend other universities besides ASU, but if last resort then I would choose ASU.
4th Year Female -- Class 2010