StudentsReview :: Houston Baptist University - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX
Texas A&M International University -- Laredo, TX

Houston Baptist University

HBU is not a bad school.Quite Bright
HBU is not a bad school. It's underwhelming, disappointing, and overall not worth the cost in any kind of way...but I'm not actively trying to escape either.

The business school is filled with (from my experience) nice professors that want you to succeed in their classes and beyond HBU. The accounting department specifically needs some more professors so they can offer more diverse accounting courses. But although the accounting department and student body is small, we are closer because of it. And I do feel like I'm learning. I have no idea if it the 5-year Master's program is properly preparing me for the CPA...I guess I'll find out.

I was also a student in the Honors College. Now THAT was a mistake. It's terribly constructed. I had to buy like 20 books a semester and we didn't even fully read 90% of them. We had a 2-hour discussion class twice a week that was mostly people asking dumb questions about the books and then judging each other's answers. The material could have been so much more enjoyable and worthwhile if we actually learned something and didn't just have dumb, myopic discussions with each other even when half of the students just Sparknoted. Hardly anything I "learned" in honors is applicable to my career or anything. And I was sort of stuck in it after freshman year because the credits you get from honors don't transfer for crap. The most close-minded people I've encountered at HBU have always been honors students. It attracts weirdos. People will judge you for not being super into every book or for not being involved in their weird, cult-like events. Even if you like philosophy and writing...don't join it. There is only one thing I legit HATE about HBU: The Honors College.

People like to complain about the lack of resources and opportunities at HBU but I think there's enough. The ASC has free tutoring and as a former tutor myself, they're all mostly good at what they tutor for. The Career & Calling department works its butt off to get connections. I've gotten 2 different accounting internships through Career & Calling. Some of the professors and faculty can really hook you up. The faculty in just about every department is nice. Just be active and ambitious.

My one BIGGEST complaint (other than The Honors College wasting my time) is that the campus is boring. The events are all religion-based or educational. Half the clubs on campus are dead or dying. And the sad thing is...the students have accepted that their school is boring as hell. There's no enthusiasm. Everyone is too lazy to run clubs well or to try and infuse some life into the school. The campus is a ghost town on weekends because everyone knows it's better to just go home. Luckily, Houston has many great areas to hang out but it sucks that you need to leave campus to have fun. You'll make friends because everyone is super nice (from my experience)...we're all just a tad broken-spirited. And bored out of our minds.

My advice to anyone going to HBU: get involved. Some organizations are still pretty active. Join them. Become a tutor, work in admissions...anything. I hated HBU in my early years because I went to class and went to the dorm and that's about it. You'll go freakin' INSANE if you do that. Get involved on campus and go out on weekends and you won't even be thinking about how there's nothing happening on-campus. That's the key.And I'll say it again...DON'T. JOIN. THE. HONORS. COLLEGE.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2019
Surrounding City: A, Extracurricular Activities: F
Considering the cost to attend this university, itBrightAccounting
Considering the cost to attend this university, it is not worth it.
The accounting department is super understaffed so you really just have two options. One is often considered to be mean/rude (though I like him) and the other shows extreme favoritism towards a few students and doesn't care about the rest. Take your pick. Both are decent enough and don't keep me from hating my classes or feeling like I'm getting a bad education. The department is small so you get to know the other students well which is great. The career services department at HBU works hard to get us opportunities to intern with firms and I greatly appreciate their efforts.

The Honors College, in my opinion, was terribly unorganized and filled with close-minded and honestly just weird students. I found 2 of the professors to be very rude. You'll know very quickly whether you fit into the HC culture or not. I didn't. More of a personality difference thing than the Honors College sucking though.

In general, the students are nice and approachable. I have found a lot of friends here of diverse backgrounds. I often find myself conversing with complete strangers and I've never felt rejected from anyone. Apparently not everyone has had the same experience.

The HBU staff is "meh". There are some areas that are great and super nice, like everyone in the admissions office and the ASC staff. But the new provost is kinda snooty, Whit the VP of student life is fake, low-key rude, and condescending, and even Dr. Sloan has been accused of being racist (I don't have an opinion on this).

The biggest gripe I have on is so freakin' BORING! They have like 5 or 6 events a week but they're all Christian or education-based like bible studies, lectures, and crap. And the worst part about it is the university has no intention on improving the social scene of the school. Events/clubs are shut down or denied for not being Christian enough or basically being too social. And the clubs that do exist are heavily limited due to HBU's strictness. The campus is a straight up ghost town on weekends; everyone knows to just go home because there won't be anything fun to do on campus. Luckily you're in Houston and not far from the Galleria or First Colony mall. But you have to get off campus to have any kind of fun. Join clubs or get an on-campus job or something. Otherwise, you will be driven insane by the boredom.Would I have come to HBU had I known my first 3 years would go the way they have? Absolutely not. But is it as god awful as some may say? No. But it's not good either.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2019
Surrounding City: A+, Social Life: D
HBU is a straightBrightNursing
HBU is a straight rip off and complete waste of $100,000. The people are rude and stuck up. The campus has horrible water outages, fire alarms, and shootings. Everyone on campus smokes weed . And the professors only pass you , if your white or a suck up.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019