StudentsReview :: Lubbock Christian University - Comments and Student Experiences

Lubbock Christian University

I worked at LCU and it is aAverageOther
I worked at LCU and it is a TERRIBLE university!!!! They pretend to have Christian morals, but they really don't!!!!! We got a new head of the department in December. Before his promotion, he was hardly in the office and he barely talked to me. After he was promoted, he gave me a terrible evaluation, told me that I wasn't good enough to work at LCU, that I was only good enough to work at the fast food Mexican restaurant across the street and then he asked me exactly what it was that I did at my job. 8 months later, while in the middle of getting divorced, he fired me for a "bad" evaluation. And a month before I'm scheduled to move. WORST PLACE EVER!!!! DO NOT WORK THERE AND DO NOT SEND YOUR KIDS TO SCHOOL THERE!!!!!! They do NOT practice what they preach!!!!!!!
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
I went to LCU because of it's idealSuper BrilliantPsychology
I went to LCU because of it's ideal class size. Once there, I was not only impressed with how the university was about helping me grow as a PERSON, but that they genuinely cared. There are not many schools where the President not only shakes students' hands but actually knows them by name and even remembers things about them and ASKS about their life genuinely. These people care about their students and each other, heck, sometimes to a fault, although that is definitely hard. They are a religious university and are very grounded in their faith, which might seem cold to some people. However, coming from a different faith background myself, the university was incredibly respectful of my faith for the most part and even challenged me to grow in my faith on my own. I would caution those looking for a more laid back college experience, especially where you are not as concerned about professors knowing you personally, to veer away. I also caution those who are closed to any type of religious setting to veer away as well - it is a major part of the campus. Otherwise, incredible experience! I'm proud to be an alum.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Individual Value: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C+
My experience at LCU was nothing but positive.History/Histories (art history/etc.)
My experience at LCU was nothing but positive. When I decided to attend college it was exactly one week from my high school graduation and I had done nothing to prepare for applying to college anywhere. I went to my high school advisor for help, but she told me I was out of luck. However, after I talked to the very helpful admissions department at LCU they set me up with a date to take the ACT, gave me study materials for the test, helped me zero in on a major I would enjoy, and then set me up with several scholarships I was eligible for.

Once I began classes in the fall, I loved it. The entire humanities department was excellent. They didn't just focus on teaching history (which was my specialization), but also on analytical and writing skills to prepare students for graduate school. I had one advisor, who was a professor in the humanities department, during all four years of school; she was extremely helpful in planning out my academic schedule every semester and always made time to talk with me if I had any questions.

The atmosphere on campus was also very positive and I enjoyed going to a university that actually cared about my spiritual growth and character development. The students (who all seem to be from the class of 2000 and all reviewed this university in 2008 for some unknown strange reason) who stated that it was ?like attending high school? might have been mentally stuck in high school themselves or just spent too much time focusing on their social lives rather than their academic one (you go to college for the academics, not the social atmosphere). Additionally, the person who claims the university is ?close minded? obviously did not take into account that LCU is, in fact, a Christian university, so if you are expecting something other than a Christian atmosphere go down the street to Texas Tech. During my time at LCU they had several events that promoted diversity and learning about things from a different perspective (I once attended an open forum regarding the Palestinian/Israeli conflict which really helped put the whole thing perspective), there was an active anti-war group on campus as well as an Army ROTC program, and all professors promoted open discussion and debate on all issues.

Bradley University (IL) 1:negative