StudentsReview ™ :: Rice University - Comments and Student Experiences

Stanford University -- Stanford, CA

Rice University

I come from a suburban/rural region on the

Feb 12 2014Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I come from a suburban/rural region on the east coast and have a background that reflects my interests in almost all fields of study, specifically visual arts, bio/chem sciences, wildlife, & the social sciences. I came originally intending to proceed with a major in their EEB department, only to change that a couple times while consistently maintaining a visual arts major track. I think that, personally, one should peel back the fluff that Rice adds to its successes & recognize that it is really just like any other private university except that it tells everyone, including its students, that it has been rated #1 for happiest students when in fact there are NUMEROUS cases of recurring mental health issues. It is easy to get left behind in the system; if you do not pursue care at a highly active rate then don't expect any follow-ups or useful advising when it comes to this aspect. Overall, the teaching faculty are 80% great, although of course all could use improvements, but they are definitely more attentive than the aloof prof stereotype conveys the opposite of. I found professors who genuinely cared about me and helped in any way possible within the arts department, but outside- not so much (and that's what you can expect from lecture classes whose office hours you neglect to use, like I did). As long as you approach them, they will help. But...

Capacity control is a huge problem here. More students every year are forced to move off campus, and departments neglect to adjust faculty/staff and course offerings to the growing yearly amt of students who attend Rice. There are plans in the works on expansion and renovation but everything seems to have a deadline of 3-5 years in the future.When I applied to Rice, they were preparing for their Centennial Anniversary, which they made a huge deal of (although, as the stereotype details, Rice students remained generally apathetic to this), so they did a pretty great job of selling the school.. I think a lot of the kids in my class swooned over the high expectations they had and felt that they were eternally lucky to be here as opposed to any other school. So I think it's really important to bring your own air of reality when you are considering the school or else you will put aside things that will actually have a huge affect on your time here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Extracurricular Activities: D

I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE MISRIBLE IN MY

Mar 07 2013Mechanical Engineering
I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE MISRIBLE IN MY LIFE. I absolutly Hate it here. I work my ass off and the administration is no help. all they care about is money and cut corners all the time. they advertise an average class size of 15 and i have never been in a class under 50. NONE of the fucking computers on campus work cause they try top port all the binary to guess what?! save MONEY! the TA are all ass holes who cant speak english.the social scene is depressing and the college system is utterly broken. the one good thing i have to say is that i am almost out of this shit hole. I have contemplated suicide multiple times here and the administration does not help. I have attempted suicide once here, and obviously failed. This school will kill your soul. it does not prepare you for the real world and people here are so ignorant as to how the real world works they fall flat on thier faces after graduation. Given the opportunity i would go back in time and go to community college.
4th Year Male -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Scholastic Success: F

Most carefree four years of my life

Jul 17 2012History/Histories (art history/etc.)
Most carefree four years of my life. I loved everything about Rice University. This is the school where what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. I was active in my college (Jones College - JIBA!!!) and worked in the Student Center so I got to meet a lot of people in my college and in other colleges. There are lots of opportunities to get involved with clubs, intramurals, campus work opportunities, and social events on campus.

The academics are definitely rigorous but manageable if you budget your time well, but I was a history major and can't speak for science and engineering folks. I graduated top of my class in high school and got a respectable 3.7 GPA in my four years at Rice. There are tons and tons of very smart people on this campus, and I actually felt a lot less pressure than I did in high school, probably because I knew I couldn't be the best. There were times I could have studied harder, but looking back, I have absolutely no regrets. I still keep on touch with my history professor who inspired me in his teaching and mentoring abilities.Rice isn't for everyone. The average Rice student is very intelligent, slightly socially awkward, friendly, open-minded, and especially a bit quirky. It's not the place to go if you are a party animal or a total study nerd. Remember, in my time, we would say, "Here at Rice, we work hard and play harder." I am proud that Rice is consistently at the top when it come to happiest students and the quality of life. It is the closest I have been to utopia.

4th Year Male -- Class 2001