StudentsReview :: Texas State University San Marcos - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX

Texas State University San Marcos

I was born in the USA.Average
I was born in the USA. I didn?t make much friends from this university the two years I spent here. I have friends from my junior college because I was the head tutor. People treat me like I?m not supposed to have a serious demeanor because I?m young and asian. My twin was murdered by gunshot and the police ruled it a suicide. My sister committed suicide. I witnessed a severe deadly assault to a girl in the genitals when I was 11. She never came back to school. My parents are extremely controlling. I have a lot of reasons for being serious. I began working full time at the age of 12. The legal age for owner?s children is 11. I got bullied a lot at work. I was grounded to my bedroom all through high school no TV. People expect me to smile frequently. I?m human. My private pilot teacher said he was going to ?kick my a** if I don?t smile.? I just want to be myself. My vehicle was vandalized just before I left school. I felt the students were judgmental not solely racist. But that is everywhere not just this university.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A, Surrounding City: B
So basically.Quite BrightBiology
So basically... "school stereotypes" are MOSTLY true.
While not Everyone that attends this university will be a "partier" or "apathetic", I can assure you that ~75-80% of the people you run into WILL BE.

The ignorant way for some is to say that they "chose" Texas State over UT or A&M... VERY IGNORANT
There are TONS of good schools in Texas, just break out of your comfort zone, aspire, have FUCKING goals, and go do your research.

UT, SMU, Rice, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, UT Dallas, U of Houston, A&M, Trinity... ALL OF THESE schools are WAYYYYYYY better than Texas State

Just look them up, it's IN WRITING, they are ranked and rated higher.
A few things... yes, EVERY school/university is a "party school".. But do YOU WANT to carry that as the "stereotype" of where you go to school at?

When an employer asks for your degree or where you went... you will HAVE to say you went to Texas State. It is a near worthless degree!!!

I attended this university one semester too long(and that's saying something).. I will tell you that I've met/heard/knew plenty who had gone to Texas State for a WHOPPING FIVE + years.... to guess what?

A. Have no job offer, or an offer for 25k-30k(insultingly low)
B. Be in a lot of debt
C. Not get into ANY grad school
D. Or a combination of all of the above
The good things
As a good student, you WILL STAND OUT... I had at least 8 of my professors whom knew me by first and last name(out of classes of around 150-200 students). I was offered and briefly did research. The professors are very friendly and approachable if you show effort and genuine interest(as a good student SHOULD). So you CAN stand out...

However, I would say to not even waste your time. I ended up getting into one of the best schools in Texas, if not the country, and ended up transferring out (much like many others). A degree that says "Texas State University" and "your name" is worthless. It's a second high school diploma.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Individual Value: F
DO NOT COME HERE FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE! JUSTBrightComputer Science
DO NOT COME HERE FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE! JUST DO NOT DO IT! I am a freshman in my intro Computer Science course and I must say, I am disappointed with the material I am presented and given. My professor could not speak english, all his lectures were him glossing over the textbook and his assignments were just busywork, not designed to help you at all in the real world.

I cannot believe I am paying money for this crap, I could sit down and read the book on my own time without having to pay this university for him to stand up there and show slides of the book.

Dorms:
I lived in Blanco Hall my first year, it sucked, nobody cared at all about meeting other people, the only friends I really had were my roommates. The walk to class was also 20 minutes, I got use to the walking, but if I could pick dorms again, I wouldn't live in Blanco Hall.

Academics:
overall the coursework for most of my classes are a joke, other than maybe English and Philosophy. my math class was just my professor talking about the material and then when you do all the HW and everything you end up failing because the HW you did HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TEST, we used MyMathLab in the class and it was a waste of my time. Some teachers will try to challenge you, but overall I felt that the faculty taught in a very superficial way and could care less if you actually learned anything in their class. I understand it is up to the student, but I expect the material to be relevant and useful, most of my lectures were a waste of time.

People:
The people at Texas State University are a mixed group of people, you have the young group of people just out of HS who think college is all about partying and sex and could care less about class. The older bunch who are coming back for a second degree and want to get out as fast as possible. The hipster/odd ones who are here for a very specific program or some kind of liberal arts degree, who genuinely care about learning. Overall though the student body is VERY MEDIOCRE AND DO NOT CARE ABOUT COLLEGE IN THE SLIGHTEST. I came to college expecting a higher level of learning and intelligence than what i witnessed in HS, I was wrong about college and that makes me feel like I made the wrong decision to come here.

the positives of the university are that the administration is trying to change this school for the better, which I admire. But the problem is ultimately in the student body. The university has a 73% acceptance rate, which means they will accept most anybody, this in turn hurts the university because when you allow students in who are apathetic and do not have a strong work ethic, you destroy the intellect of the student body, which makes the university no better than a community college. That's what the university feels like to me personally, a really expensive community college education. My major is also a joke at this university which was my fault for not doing heavier research on the program.

DO YOUR RESEARCH ON COLLEGES PLEASE!!!
don't make the same mistake I did.after spending 1 year at this university I have decided it is not for me. I plan to go somewhere else where academics actually matter and where the student body is more competitive and care about their future.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
Texas State University San Marcos

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→