StudentsReview :: Texas State University San Marcos - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX

Texas State University San Marcos

Reading these comments from people trashing the university,

Jun 26 2014Political Science
Reading these comments from people trashing the university, yet graduated 10 years ago, make me want to laugh. This school is undergoing a dramatic shift from being irrelevant to becoming a nationally recognized university. San Marcos was just deemed the fastest growing city in the nation, and it's no question that it is a direct result of the school becoming better. Just in the 3 years I have been here, they have built several new academic buildings, a new performing arts theater, and several new dorms. In regards to my professors, I have had the privilege of having many well-qualified professors, such as one who graduated from Yale Law School and taught at Columbia prior to coming to Texas State. The atmosphere in San Marcos is second to none, as the beautiful hill country snakes through town. The San Marcos river runs right through campus, and the university owns Sewell Park, which is a beautiful place to go swim, play volleyball, grill, or just hang out. Night life in San Marcos is insane, as the square has 10-15 bars to pick from. Greek life here has grown tremendously, as the average chapter size for fraternities is now 80, and 200 for the sororities. All in all, this school is proving itself to be a major contender to UT and A&M, and I would not doubt if it becomes even better than the two in the next 10 years.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: B

My college experience here

May 20 2014Other
My college experience here at TXSTATE was really great! Classes were both challenging and fun. Not only I learned a lot about myself but I also met different people who I have made good friends with. Please go and check it out!! GOOOO BOBCATS!!
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Individual Value: A+, Education Quality: B-

This university completely exceeded my expectations

Dec 01 2014English
This university completely exceeded my expectations. I was hesitant on coming here at first, especially because it wasn't my #1 choice. Texas State University has an amazing atmosphere. Essentially everyone is accepting of everyone no matter their culture, sexuality, race, etc. The atmosphere is by far my favorite thing about this school. Most people are friendly. The campus is gorgeous and green. The river is right on campus. The resources here are incredible. The faculty genuinely cares about how you are doing. The workload is definitely big but not impossible (but that's just college). The food is decent. The rec center is beautiful. I have completely fallen in love with my school. If you want the "college experience" COME TO TEXAS STATE. Ignore those who say it's a party school. There are parties available to you at all times but like every other school, you do not have to attend them. This school will absolutely be what you make of it. If you aren't a partier person that's fine. If you are, great. Be careful of which dorm you select because not all of them are great. Falls/Sayers and Chataqua/Gallardia are the best ones. Everything about this campus is amazing. San Marcos is a great city to live in. I have friends at many colleges around San Marcos and it's easy to get to them. It's close to Austin, not super far from Houston, and close to San Antonio. COME TO TEXAS STATE because you'll fall in love as I did.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018