StudentsReview :: Texas State University - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX

I have been here for 1.AverageOther
I have been here for 1.5 years and I can tell you my first year classes were a complete and utter waste of time. Political Science, English, Philosophy, Math. All those classes were not challenging or helpful, I would sit in class and nobody would say anything and it made me insanely frustrated. what the hell are people here for? Oh that's right.... PARTYING.....

my 3rd semester my classes got harder and I actually had to try, but even then I realized that nobody cared, even the professors.... I was kinda surprised, I didn't know this level of mediocrity existed...

Texas State University should not even be called a University, it's a school for students who don't care about their futures, this school graduates an insane amount of Liberal Arts degrees and very very very few Science degrees, look it up on the website...

what you pay for is mediocre teaching and students who just want to pass to get their degrees and leave. None of the students I have met actually care about learning, they are all here for reasons other than Academia.

pros: the girls are hot
cons: everything else, clubs, classes and competitiveness in the market suck. every mature person I talked to had an immediate negative reaction when I said I went to Texas State, even my old manager thought it sucked, I should have listened to him.... I imagine this will be true when you talk to employers as well... also I sat in on a University event to talk to employers and only around 7/200 people showed up, the room was empty and all the students were juniors and seniors, I was the only freshman in the room. The staff outside were scrambling to try and lure other students into the room, because they were afraid of looking bad.... that should give you an idea about how the University operates.

There also has been numerous warnings going on about people being robbed in parking garages and San Marcos in general is not very safe place to live, and there's also lots of flooding if it rains really bad.I am going to another University, and I am glad to be leaving this place.

1st Year Male -- Class 2019
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Education Quality: F
This school is not about academics or learning,
This school is not about academics or learning, save your money and go to a school that will help you in the long run.

you will find the maturity and intelligence of most students here to be horrible, most students are not here to learn.

most students are here to throw money at a piece of paper, thinking they will get a good job by doing the bare minimum asked of them.

So basically.Quite BrightBiology
So basically... "school stereotypes" are MOSTLY true.
While not Everyone that attends this university will be a "partier" or "apathetic", I can assure you that ~75-80% of the people you run into WILL BE.

The ignorant way for some is to say that they "chose" Texas State over UT or A&M... VERY IGNORANT
There are TONS of good schools in Texas, just break out of your comfort zone, aspire, have FUCKING goals, and go do your research.

UT, SMU, Rice, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, UT Dallas, U of Houston, A&M, Trinity... ALL OF THESE schools are WAYYYYYYY better than Texas State

Just look them up, it's IN WRITING, they are ranked and rated higher.
A few things... yes, EVERY school/university is a "party school".. But do YOU WANT to carry that as the "stereotype" of where you go to school at?

When an employer asks for your degree or where you went... you will HAVE to say you went to Texas State. It is a near worthless degree!!!

I attended this university one semester too long(and that's saying something).. I will tell you that I've met/heard/knew plenty who had gone to Texas State for a WHOPPING FIVE + years.... to guess what?

A. Have no job offer, or an offer for 25k-30k(insultingly low)
B. Be in a lot of debt
C. Not get into ANY grad school
D. Or a combination of all of the above
The good things
As a good student, you WILL STAND OUT... I had at least 8 of my professors whom knew me by first and last name(out of classes of around 150-200 students). I was offered and briefly did research. The professors are very friendly and approachable if you show effort and genuine interest(as a good student SHOULD). So you CAN stand out...

However, I would say to not even waste your time. I ended up getting into one of the best schools in Texas, if not the country, and ended up transferring out (much like many others). A degree that says "Texas State University" and "your name" is worthless. It's a second high school diploma.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017