StudentsReview :: Texas A & M University College Station - Comments and Student Experiences

Texas A&M International University -- Laredo, TX
Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi -- Corpus Christi, TX
University of Texas -- Austin, TX

Texas A & M University College Station

I was a National Merit Scholar

Sep 30 2014Computer Science
I was a National Merit Scholar. I was told I would be given a large scholarship that covered a large part of the cost. I also got in to a few other schools, but the scholarships could not compete so I accepted A&M and put my money down. In the end, the scholarship disappeared. I tried to speak to the financial aid office, and they claimed I had low academics and no ECs. I had been accepted to the honors program also, so I knew they had all my information. I called around but kept leaving messages for staff that never called me back. I sent many emails. My parents could not get anywhere with them either. No one would call us back, no one would respond to emails. We double checked ApplyTexas and all my information was on there. I ended up having to walk away from the National Merit Scholarship (which from corporate level was small, but I had already set A&M as my top choice school) as well as from college this year. It was too late to apply to schools and get scholarships for fall. I am not sitting out.

I do not recommend this school. It is a bureaucratic mess. The administration is awful and will do nothing to correct their own mistakes. As my dad puts it, I guess I "dodged a bullet." If this is how bad they were just in awarding a scholarship they promised, imagine how the next four years would have been.

I recommend staying far far away from this school.I need to add that my SAT score was over 2200 but this site would not accept that score so I left that blank.

I hate this place

Mar 18 2014History/Histories (art history/etc.)
I hate this place. I'm from the New England area. I cannot stand this middle of nowhere town where there is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do. Transferring ASAP.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F

For any OUT-OF-STATE students applying this is VERY

Jul 11 2014Chemical Engineering
For any OUT-OF-STATE students applying this is VERY important information. I really suggest you read what I have to say. I attended here for one year for Chemical Engineering, and after 3 months, I decided to get out of Engineering, and by Winter Break, I was choosing where to transfer to. First, I'm going to tell you a bit about me, and then I'm going to tell you all the reasons A&M did not work.

First, I am from Arkansas, and attended a small Charter school called Haas Hall Academy with a graduating class of 50. I grew up in San Diego, California and am very Progressive minded with ideologies in between Conservative and Liberal, yet leanly slightly left. My two favorite subjects in High School were Math, and Biology (specifically Anatomy & Physiology) and I am fairly athletic - Varsity Basketball, Cross Country, and Track - as well. I was always asking questions in class, knew my teachers, and knew everyone else in class being in such a small school, so why might you ask did I apply to one of the largest schools in the States? Well, because I didn't have an article like this explaining to me all the hidden nuances, and unusual idiosyncrasies, both the Campus and the people of Texas had to offer.

I was excited with my degree in Chemical Engineering. I was passionate about food and eventually wanted to work in the Food Industry, hopefully to become an entrepreneur, and mass produce my own baking creation. However, at A&M, all they care about is OIL, OIL, OIL. Not an exaggeration. My two professors for my first Intro to Chemical Engineering Class, both had careers in the oil industry, and lectured for an hour and a half about oil fracking and drilling, the rest of the course was about learning the ways of oil, and becoming an expert on the black gold. ...(Problem 1) I HATE OIL. I'm very energy conscience, green-minded, and love the environment. You will not ever see a single Prius in College Station, and if you are to say you hate oil, people will think you're crazy and go into an excerpt on how great Texas is, and how oil is what drives the economy, blah, blah, blah. (Problem 2) Texas Pride. I'm a very open-minded, slightly liberal, progressive person...and was probably the only one on that campus that was. People at A&M lived in Texas there whole life, and want to continue to do so the rest of their life. They are also uber conservative (the most popular organization on campus is Texas Aggie Conservatives), wear cowboy boots, and drive trucks. It's not just a stereotype (like I thought), It's all true. Only 5% of the incoming class is Out-of-State to let you know, which leads to the next problem. (Problem 3) Diversity. Or lack thereof. Coming from California, I had friends who were Chinese, Korean, Hispanic, and Indian, both there and in Arkansas, and we all got along with each other. Here, even though people at A&M do wish there were more diversity and understand this shortcoming, it is all White. But that's not the problem, really. The problem, and everyone Aggie knows it, is that African American's stick out like a sore thumb. It's so hard not to stare at an African American for a split second more than normal, because, why? He may be the first "non-white" you might see all day. I had never experienced this before, and personally, the lack of diversity, really effected me. Most people just ignore and say that's just how Texas is. Lastly, (Problem 4), is Size. I loved knowing my teachers, and asking questions in class, but let me tell you right now: that is IMPOSSIBLE freshman and sophomore year, even if you are in honors (like I was). Teachers are very unhelpful, classes are very large, and quite simply, you'll have to learn how to "learn" without asking questions. My Chem 1 and 2, Biol 1 and 2 were all 300 students. Out of every lecture I ever attended I heard maybe 10-15 questions asked for all those classes combined, ever. Many people simply conform, and settle for a lesser grade, but I had to maintain a 3.5 gpa (for honors) and I simply wasn't able to do that with the way I was used to learning at Haas Hall Academy.

All that being said, A&M was not the best fit for me despite their engineering rankings, and countless reviews saying they have the "happiest student body". The reason that is (by the way), is because everyone is the same - conservative, country, truck-loving, boot-wearing Texans. It is important to note that I do believe their campus pride (much like state pride) is overflowing and somewhat contagious, if I do say so. The Engineering and Business degrees are spectacular and offer great job placement, and I highly recommend them for their Academic Stature. However, if you do not fit in, it will be a long, lonely road to that Aggie degree. I highly suggest you take into consideration these traits of A&M, and I hope they help guide your decision in attending.

P.S. for any further advice concerning dorm life, food on campus, and my experiences in the Honors College feel free to e-mail me at :)

1st Year Male -- Class 2017