StudentsReview :: Texas A & M University Commerce - Comments and Student Experiences

Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX
Texas A&M International University -- Laredo, TX

Texas A & M University Commerce

Oct 11 2014Social Work
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This is a perfect fit for me. But my advice is have some idea what area you are interested in and make sure to find a college that can offer courses to meet your needs.

This is an excellent place if you are interested in the field of Agriculture (wonderful topnotch pre-vet), IT, Social Work, and recently adopted a Nursing school. There is much more but these are only some of the fields I have any experience in.Just do a little research and get involved were ever you go!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: D+
Jul 24 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
There is good and bad in every school and there will always be people that make your college experience a living hell. However, in this campus you get great quality education for a fare price. It does have extra curricular activities but most often no one knows about them due to arrogance in who runs them. All the departments of science are great except for the chemistry department. Our education and business departments are outstanding! The department of Residential Living and Learning also is a disgust. They don't know who you are most of the time and the residence halls are extremely terrible to live in. There is nothing to do in the city but that is actually not the point for attending school. Professors are very respectful and they will not rest until you are helped and you get what you want. You will occasionally run into someone who teaches that does't pronounce English well but they are however very knowledgable in the subject they teach. Although this college is small and continues to be a commuter college for the most part, it is not so terrible. If you are looking for a party school where you can waste your money then go elsewhere. This college is in the middle of no where but it allows students to focus in their studies. I have never run into a student who was insecure about this college. However, people that do work in the financial aid department or someone who holds a front desk position are very arrogant and rude but they come around when you talk to human resources. Great education for your money! Networking is very easy here if you are serious about your future.
4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: F
Jan 12 2014Education
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you're looking for a small-town college with a tight community, then you've found the right place, but I'd keep looking. Despite living in state, I paid a lot to go here and did not receive my money's worth. The dorms were terrifying at best. We had a massive wasp infestation in my dorm - they were coming in through a hole near the window - and being highly allergic I put in work order after work order. After the 7th one the HD told me there was "nothing he could do about it." Glad to know my safety is such a high priority!

As for the teaching staff, I really have to wonder. I understand that you're bound to get a few bad teachers in your college career, but not all at once! I had a math teacher that did not acknowledge he had a class, and refused to speak English at all. My freshman history teacher acknowledged that we were all first semester freshman, and then continuously berated us and threatened to fail us for not being able to meet her outlandish demands. Required us to buy two books, but never actually referred back to them. Her tests were over neither the books or anything covered in class, so a lot of it was guessing games for us all. My psychology teacher failed a handful of students in my class - myself included - over research papers claiming she felt the topic was not worth researching. Too bad she assigned the topics!!

This school is an absolute joke. They sucker you in on orientation. They put you in the nicest dorm, fill your day with activities and good food and the peppiest the school has to offer. Then, once you've paid your tuition, you come to find there are only two livable dorms on campus, both highly expensive and booked out, and most of the novelties you were shown greatly decrease in value. Then, when you try to leave the school you have to jump through the most ridiculous hoops! I went to get my stuff, after spending a week e-mailing RLL staff to let them know I'm withdrawing, and sending in all the forms that the website said I needed, only to find out - after I've packed all my stuff in a car and signed a few release forms - that the RLL staff was supposed to send me some form for me to sign and turn in. Of course, no where on the website does it say this, or even hint at it. They still won't return my calls. Very classy!

Collaboration/Competitive: C, Education Quality: F