StudentsReview :: Trinity University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rice University -- Houston, TX

Trinity University

After spending my entire undergraduate career at Trinity
After spending my entire undergraduate career at Trinity (and graduating with honors this past May), I still fail to see the value of this university. I'll admit that I enjoyed the tight knit atmosphere, unlike some of the other reviewers here, but I also agree that there are probably far better schools in terms of overall education and career preparedness. Those two important factors aside, I also wish I could have gotten more of the "real college experience" than what was offered here. Trinity is not the kind of school you go to if you want the rabid "rah-rah" school spirit seen at national college football games, or if you want the benefits/amenities of attending a world renowned research university, for that matter. Students wishing to enjoy those two perks would be better off looking at UT or A&M, especially if you'd like to take advantage of nationwide networking opportunities. Circling back to my initial point about value...the monetary value was probably the biggest hinderance for me, and will most likely continue to be a hindrance for me well into the future. Again, those looking for better monetary value might also favor the UT or A&M systems. Trinity was real, it was fun, it just wasn't real fun.
I was urged by a friend to leaveBusiness - Management and Administration
I was urged by a friend to leave a review here. Sadly, I feel compelled to add my voice to the resounding choir of negative reviews. I agree with previous posters that my experience at Trinity Univetsity was underwhelming and ultimately wasn't worth the time, effort, and money I poured into my undergraduate years there.

Trinity is a small school. Its always had a very small alumni network with very little clout. Don't expect the name to carry you very far in town, let alone outside San Antonio. As other reviewers here have mentioned, companies don't recruit at Trinity the same way they would at Tier 1 flagship universities. I, too, have been hindered in my search for stable work. I am originally from Oklahoma and couldn't return home because no company there would even grant me an interview. I have also encountered issues when applying to positions in Houston and Austin. The city of San Antonio is run by Saint Mary's and U.T.S.A. graduates. A&M and U.T. students also flock here in droves and probably recieve preferential treatment. Graduates from these schools are more likely to find work than the average Trinity graduate. Most of the students from my graduating class were forced to enroll in graduate school just to postpone their loans. This was their only option after failing to find work. I was able to avoid this fate, thank The Lord. Trinity touts this as one of their biggest selling points, yet they fail to mention that this panic-induced graduate school application frenzy is not by choice.

The classes I took were marginally challenging, but my core classes failed the delve any deeper than remedial material. I've always excelled academically, but I was somewhat disappointed that Trinity didn't require me to exude the type of effort I had anticipated. As long as I read and showed up for class, I did well. I'm assuming that's the case with any college, though. I was, however, VERY impressed with the faculty. Most of my professors held the highest degree in their fields and were very knowledgable. Their classes simply weren't very engaging and stifled creative thinking due to their restrictive abd conservative atmospheres.

As far as the social scene goes, I remember the majority of the school being comprised of Greek life drones (you might recall Trinity made national news a few years ago for hazing and outrageous fraternity parties). It's a very cliquish, high-school-type environment. To me, it was indicative of how blissfully and utterly unprepared my classmates were for the real world. I didn't have any issues with the affluent students, but they did seem to make up the majority. The student body was predominantly white and upper class. We had a few foreign students (my roommate was from Thailand), but you'll be hard-pressed to find much diversity.

Finally, there's the price. I can't emphasize enough how inexplicably high the tuition was. I was constantly charged fees for ridiculous things that seemed to drastically increase every year. I owe more than I'd care to disclose. Thankfully, I was fortunate enough to find work at a large local employer, but the closed fist of reality hit me hard when I learned my pay was equal to my public school counterparts. I didn't expect to enter the wirkforce and break the bank right away, but I did at Leary expect to be compensated based on my academic credentials. You're beginning to see just how silly and "over-hyped" this all really is, don't you? I defiantly agree that you can find better and smarter college options elsewhere. You could easily attend one of Texas' many pretentious institutions and gain far more out of your college years and beyond. I regret not going that route.

This school is a joke.Quite BrightComputer Science
This school is a joke. The curriculum was on par with a daycare. That's all it is, a daycare and playground for ignorant rich kids. They lure you in by offering you a scholarship and making you feel like you're getting a good value, but the education was never worth the sticker price to begin with. I found my scholarship to be nothing more than a glorified coupon. You will STILL come out owing an arm and a leg! And for what? To say you lived in a confined bubble for four years? Or to pay for our esteemed president's next yacht (google this chump). I transferred to a real school (UT) and couldn't be happier.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017