StudentsReview :: Trinity University - Comments and Student Experiences

Rice University -- Houston, TX

Trinity University

With regard to the student body, yeah, itsEconomics
With regard to the student body, yeah, its pretty homogeneous, but I think Trinity was making a big effort to recruit more international students than when I entered in 2005.

I liked most of my professors, as they were very willing to help, provide advice, etc.
I also found that double majoring/minoring plus a year of study abroad was very doable with the fantastic help of the international office. If study abroad/international stuff is your thing, this is a great school that encourages you to go wherever you want. They are great for (upper level) Spanish, but unfortunately don't have the resources for real linguistics/less common languages (i.e. non-Romance language) courses.

I would say the educational quality and perception outside the university seems to be centered around: bio/chem/premed, engineering, economics, Int'l Studies (e.g.Lat Am studies), and Accounting-particularly the 5 year MS program. I also did a lot of poly sci coursework, and while the upper division courses were enjoyable, I found a couple of the intro classes to be absolutely asinine. There wasn't much of an concerted effort to publicize or help finding relevant internships in my majors- though I did go and find one myself despite them. I did have the opportunity to help with research with a professor. If you can form close relationships with 1-2 profs, as is more likely if you go to a smaller school, they will be an invaluable resource for grad school as well as undergrad possibilities.

Unique to the school: Emphasis on study abroad, Economists in the Schools program (where you teach kids econ over a semester), Pretty good D3 football team, Student Managed Fund, and an ass-kicking engineering program.

All in all, I formed great friendships at Trinity, and I absolutely do not agree that there was nothing to do/everyone only studies/everyone's immature. Some people seem to be confused- people study to much but are way too immature? I usually don't associate those qualities with each other. Anyways, there were parties all the time, but the overall IQ and awareness of current events of most of the population is well above the population at large. Sure, there are a lot of peroxide blonde sorority sisters getting their MRS degree, but as only some 25% of the study body is involved in a frat/sorority, the whole school doesn't really revolve around them like your SMU-esque college does. My only reservation about going to Trinity is how expensive it's become and how much loan debt I'm in despite partial scholarship/parental help- I'm not sure its growing regional reputation would warrant the price of it now- even if they have increased scholarship money somewhat.

I went to Trinity University over thirty yearsBrightEnglish
I went to Trinity University over thirty years ago. My freshman year was miserable, and I dropped out to work. When I returned to college study, I went to a commuter state university for three semesters before returning to complete my last two years at Trinity. I had grown up a bit, and the college had gotten considerably better as well. Faculty were not as knowledgeable in my area of major as I expected and wanted them to be, and most were not very good teachers. They were accessible and friendly enough, however. Several tenured professors in the English department at that time were terrible, and even the great Colleen Grissom, whom everyone lauded so as a super-prof, really did not know as much as she and others thought that she did. A closet gay and open feminist, she seemed more up to appeasing students, especially the men, than teaching them. Her example seemed to be followed by others. One or two professors were fine, but the best teacher I had in my major left after my freshman year before I returned to complete students. She was shunned by the faculty because, as a Harvard Ph.D., she scared them all to death. The college has certainly improved in recent years, as faculty publications and accomplishments are considerably better than when I was in attendance, but the college is still too regional in orientation and too Christian in prejudices.
3rd Year Male -- Class 1975
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Surrounding City: B-
Don't come here.BrightFinance
Don't come here. The trick you at the "360 event" and make it look good by having it on a weekend when there is tons of sports and such going on. However, it is all a lie...I got tricked into coming here and it was the biggest mistake of my life. And please please please DEFINITELY don't come here to play FOOTBALL. The coach is terrible and doesn't care about any of his players or his reputation.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2010