StudentsReview :: The University of Dallas - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
University of Texas -- Richardson, TX

The University of Dallas

I have been in Catholic schools all my

Jun 20 2013Other
I have been in Catholic schools all my life, and I very much did NOT want to go here. Then, I visited. The campus wasn't beautiful, but the students were friendly and the school's philosophy was exactly what I wanted. I didn't want to learn just for a career or a trade. I wanted to learn how to think and analyze. I wanted to find meaning, and I wanted the chance to learn about many different things. The UD core curriculum gave me that chance. It is very challenging, though. Professors thrust many books upon freshmen, and expect these classic works to be read and quoted and analyzed.

On the other hand, there is the student population. A great many of the students are hard-core Catholics, but there are those of other denominations, other religions, and even no religion at all. I have found that the ones who garner the most respect are those with convictions. If you want people to respect your position, you must be able to defend it with reason. It is stringent, and it might be too much for someone who puts his beliefs (in whatever) in the backseat.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C+

Very poor placement services for the MBA program

Sep 15 2012Economics
Very poor placement services for the MBA program at this school and it weight down the school as a whole. Some MBA graduates do get placed in good careers but these are few and far between, with many students embittered after graduating. Undergraduate School is very academic but it must be seen as preparation for higher education. This is particularly true if you are going to Med School or Grad School where the placement has been excellent in the past. For those students thinking of the MBA program at the University of Dallas, it would be a better choice for the other MBA programs in the Dallas area. You will see much better placement for programs such as SMU, UTD, TCU. For MIS students, North Texas has shown a very good placement compared to UD.
Starting Job: Retail Management Preparedness: F Reputation: D

The staff and the students are so close-minded

Mar 21 2013Biology
The staff and the students are so close-minded. I regret the past 2 years at this school. I have made good friends, but that has always come easy to me. I graduated top 10% of my class, and I study regularly, but my gpa does not reflect it at all. It's embarrassing and frustrating. Here is something interesting: my GPA is a 3.43 from courses that adjucts teach. Why? Because usually they come from different schools and don't judge me and let my work speak for itself (by the way, even biology at this school is graded extremely subjectively).

This provincialism is also abudant in the athletic department. I play for the soccer team here, and I received a red card one game, (a usual 1 game suspension) and I was suspended for four games by the athletic director because "that's not how UD athletes should discipline themselves." I have played soccer my whole life and never had this happen to me.

Anyways I feel the biggest problem with the curriculum is the randomness as to what's on the test. I'm not asking for a study guide but I would like to know certain areas to focus on. And the grading seems random as well. I am transferring next semester because I can't have a sub 3.0 gpa.

The campus life isn't bad for how small and conservative this school is, but let me just say this. UD does not have a good-looking population of students -- not being mean just honest.

The staff here treats you as little kids. It is extremely frustrating. I am 21 years old, please show me some respect and I will happily return it. To get anything done I had to type up what I wanted to say and ask my mom to send it. Wow. The response she got was 10x better and they actually listened to her. Pretty ridicolous to me.

Well this review has been pretty negative but I really don't have many nice things to say about this place I've wasted two years at. I mean it's close to downtown so you can have fun, but there is nothing in the immediate surroundings except an overpriced gas station.I would not recommended this school to anyone except private catholic school kids who aren't very social and the idea of meeting new people sounds scary to them.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2014