StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

I have worked really hard to find a

Mar 25 2014Perfomance Arts
I have worked really hard to find a place for myself in this university and now I love it. I had my heart set on a small private liberal arts college but received a full ride to UH so decided to attend, and the first year was rough. But the school is going through obvious facelifts and becoming more selective- there is a noticeable improvement in the freshman class this year and in the campus, including an improved student center and more on campus recreational options. I truly believe in ten years that when I say I graduated from the University of Houston that it will mean something. I don't think I'm missing out in terms of quality of education, but socially the school has a lot of catching up to do. It's hard to make friends.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: D+

UH is definitely worth it

Nov 30 2013Unknown
UH is definitely worth it. The Honors College & the C.T. Bauer College of Business offer really competitive packages to incoming freshmen.

Finance: I found the perfect fit. The Professional Program in Global Energy Management allows science/math minded students to complete Calc 1-3, Engineering Physics, etc.. and pursue a degree that's geared towards Energy & Economics. I plan on pursuing a dual degree in Environmental Science as well.

The Honors Business Advisors/Program is OUTSTANDING. They have supported my ambitions and have advised me appropriately from the minute I walked in. They insure that we don't take useless waste-of-time classes and refer us to very well taught classes.

Honors: Classes are small. Students are bright. Professors are well educated and expect high quality performance. Honors Minors & Certificates are one of a kind.

UH: Classes are much bigger. Campus is OK. They're working on it though-many new buildings and dorms have and will continue to be built. An emerging university with high ambitions, can't go wrong choosing UH. Go Coogs!

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C

What I really like about the University of

Nov 23 2013Biology
What I really like about the University of Houston is the people, they're pretty nice, and the school isn't as segregated as I thought it would be. I love living on campus, everything I need is within walking distance, and next semester, my classes will be in the same building as my dorm. Enough about what I like, let's talk about what I really don't like:

I'm an biomedical engineering major, and unfortunately made the mistake of doing honors. Now I'm stuck in a class called Human Situation that I absolutely hate. It will always be among the worst experiences I would have in this university. I don't appreciate how the Honors college forces students to take ten hours of Human Situation, because it's more geared toward liberal arts majors, not science and math majors. My advice is if you're going into the STEM field, think long and hard about doing honors. STEM classes are already hard as it is, please don't add more stress to yourself by taking a class that has zero benefits.

Friendliness: A+, Education Quality: F