StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

Financial aid it's the only thing keeping UH

Oct 27 2014Political Science
Financial aid it's the only thing keeping UH alive with stars. Room and Board costs too much only to fill rooms with people who don't wasn't to be there, construct a completely new dorm with ridiculous security features, and not even update the old ones: quadrangles and moody towers. The other star killer is the fact that the university requires a crap load of courses for you to compete to graduate but doesn't have them available. Like what the deuce UH what the deuce.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: D

Dr. Vida and the

May 08 2014Biology
Dr. Vida and the class he teaches are archaic and not helpful. It breaks students progress. The group grade is unfair and does not reflect the student's knowledge

Out of the three universities that I attended,

Jun 02 2014Electrical Engineering
Out of the three universities that I attended, this was by far the best. UH has a job center that can get you internships and future jobs, WELL WORTH IT! While I say this, each department at UH is fairly different; each department is like a fiefdom. I was in the ECE department where the professors were present during their office hours, and were very willing to help the students. When I had to take classes under other colleges, like science, the quality was poorer. Language and Liberal arts seemed to be average quality. However, the professors and staff in the Electrical Engineering department were mostly top notch. They were tough, but I learned a lot. From reading these forums it seems like people were expecting friends to flock to them. UH was like the rest of life, you get out of it what you put in. I have friends from my time at UH that I will have for the rest of my life. There are a ton of social societies and different things to do, you just have to look. My best experiences were with professors Dr. Dave and Dr. Barr. The worst was an Indian TA in the math department that wrote on a white board with a yellow highlighter (once). Overall, my good experiences vastly outnumbered my bad ones. The public spaces are mostly nice, and there are plenty of good places to study, eat, and socialize. I am hoping to return for my masters.
4th Year Male -- Class 2007