StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

Jun 02 2014Electrical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Out of the three universities that I attended, this was by far the best. UH has a job center that can get you internships and future jobs, WELL WORTH IT! While I say this, each department at UH is fairly different; each department is like a fiefdom. I was in the ECE department where the professors were present during their office hours, and were very willing to help the students. When I had to take classes under other colleges, like science, the quality was poorer. Language and Liberal arts seemed to be average quality. However, the professors and staff in the Electrical Engineering department were mostly top notch. They were tough, but I learned a lot. From reading these forums it seems like people were expecting friends to flock to them. UH was like the rest of life, you get out of it what you put in. I have friends from my time at UH that I will have for the rest of my life. There are a ton of social societies and different things to do, you just have to look. My best experiences were with professors Dr. Dave and Dr. Barr. The worst was an Indian TA in the math department that wrote on a white board with a yellow highlighter (once). Overall, my good experiences vastly outnumbered my bad ones. The public spaces are mostly nice, and there are plenty of good places to study, eat, and socialize. I am hoping to return for my masters.
4th Year Male -- Class 2007
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C-
May 08 2014Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Dr. Vida and the class he teaches are archaic and not helpful. It breaks students progress. The group grade is unfair and does not reflect the student's knowledge
Mar 25 2014Perfomance Arts
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I have worked really hard to find a place for myself in this university and now I love it. I had my heart set on a small private liberal arts college but received a full ride to UH so decided to attend, and the first year was rough. But the school is going through obvious facelifts and becoming more selective- there is a noticeable improvement in the freshman class this year and in the campus, including an improved student center and more on campus recreational options. I truly believe in ten years that when I say I graduated from the University of Houston that it will mean something. I don't think I'm missing out in terms of quality of education, but socially the school has a lot of catching up to do. It's hard to make friends.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2016