StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

This is my third University and I mustQuite BrightFinance
This is my third University and I must say I love the school itself and the city of Houston, but the faculty and staff here are EXTREMELY hard to deal with. I have been more stressed out with dealing with my transfer hours and University of Houston not being able to work with me to solve my problems regarding transfer of classes and class advising. I didn't want to believe that this school is just treating me as income, but it is quite clear. I have had something go wrong with everything I have done here and all the staff says is that "something went wrong in the system". DO NOT come to UH and expect to have your hand held through graduation process... they will try to keep you there as long as possible. On a side note.. as a male myself there are not many attractive Caucasian women here as you would find at UT or A&M. I have also been told by a few female students that the attractive male population is scarce. I would love to call this a perfect school because I have enjoyed being in the city of Houston and I embrace the school spirit but it is very hard to appreciate the university when you know in the back of your mind that they are trying to drain you of every last penny.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Financial aid it's the only thing keeping UHQuite BrightPolitical Science
Financial aid it's the only thing keeping UH alive with stars. Room and Board costs too much only to fill rooms with people who don't wasn't to be there, construct a completely new dorm with ridiculous security features, and not even update the old ones: quadrangles and moody towers. The other star killer is the fact that the university requires a crap load of courses for you to compete to graduate but doesn't have them available. Like what the deuce UH what the deuce.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: D
Out of the three universities that I attended,Quite BrightElectrical Engineering
Out of the three universities that I attended, this was by far the best. UH has a job center that can get you internships and future jobs, WELL WORTH IT! While I say this, each department at UH is fairly different; each department is like a fiefdom. I was in the ECE department where the professors were present during their office hours, and were very willing to help the students. When I had to take classes under other colleges, like science, the quality was poorer. Language and Liberal arts seemed to be average quality. However, the professors and staff in the Electrical Engineering department were mostly top notch. They were tough, but I learned a lot. From reading these forums it seems like people were expecting friends to flock to them. UH was like the rest of life, you get out of it what you put in. I have friends from my time at UH that I will have for the rest of my life. There are a ton of social societies and different things to do, you just have to look. My best experiences were with professors Dr. Dave and Dr. Barr. The worst was an Indian TA in the math department that wrote on a white board with a yellow highlighter (once). Overall, my good experiences vastly outnumbered my bad ones. The public spaces are mostly nice, and there are plenty of good places to study, eat, and socialize. I am hoping to return for my masters.
4th Year Male -- Class 2007