StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

Sep 15 2013Business - Management and Administration

I think UH is one of the best places to get your higher education degree in state of texas. I would put UH at top 3

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Innovation: B

In some ways, extra education was a waste

Oct 05 2013Chemistry
In some ways, extra education was a waste. STEM has been in a recession/depression since the Sputnik era. UH had no concept of career counseling or advice when I was there, so no help there getting into a field that would have been more lucrative. The culture in the 70's was that the students were there for UH to collect tuition and fees, not that UH was there to serve the students. I hope that has changed.
Starting Job: Research scientist Preparedness: B Reputation: B

It took me my entire freshman year to

Sep 11 2013Perfomance Arts
It took me my entire freshman year to appreciate UH. Here's why: I was accepted to many high-ranking private schools, but I received a scholarship that essentially pays me to go to UH. Every other school would have made me take out loans, so I chose UH with a lot of bitterness that I couldn't attend a "better" school, regardless of how fortunate I was for the scholarship, ect.

This is what I wanted in a school: academic challenge, opportunity outside of the campus, and a student body that was inclusive and driven. I have found two out of the three. If you want an academic challenge, go to the Honors College. It's challenging and fun, and a really good way to meet people your first year. I'm positive the education is comparable to other liberal arts schools for a fraction of the cost. I've been really happy with my honors experience.

As far as outside opportunity, college is really what you make of it. In some ways, I am glad that UH doesn't offer my exact need, because I can't allow myself to get stuck on the campus and never leave. I did a competitive program this previous summer and found myself with students from Yale, NYU, Reed, whatever. You can find a way to place yourself in the situation you'd like no matter where you are. You just have to look.

Unfortunately, UH is still a big commenter campus. This has changed a bit this year because of the new dorms. But still, it's hard to make friends and really difficult to find people to create an interest group with- people who are a balance of partying but who also like to discuss social issues, like the type you might expect on a liberal arts or ivy campus. These people are hard to find. But it's not impossible. You just have to try, go outside of your dorm, and join a few groups before something sticks.Keep an open mind. I love UH this semester. I think being an underdog here makes you work harder, which will make you stand out if grad school is an option for you. Go coogs!

Surrounding City: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D+