StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

Honestly, I was upset at first when my

Jun 30 2013Political Science
Honestly, I was upset at first when my parents forced me to stay in Houston, and go to UH. Now I am THRILLED. I saved A TON of money, and I honestly really enjoyed my experience. It's not as bad as people say it is. I've been at UH both super early before the sun rises, and super late at night and NEVER had a problem with safety.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: B

I decided to look up some type of

Jun 04 2013Psychology
I decided to look up some type of review blog for universities because had I known this is what UH would turn into or was I would NEVER have come here. This school is seriously just a factory and the people are seriously just numbers. All they care about is getting your money. They don't care if you graduate or if you achieve any success. I am middle income and did not get grants, I had to get loans and I have to work. I need a school that understands my situation and isn't just like Oh well, you cant pay you don't go to school. Even though I am a semester away from being done and have paid over $40k. Every time I call the Administrative office for financial Aid or Billing, just to ask questions, the staff already has an attitude and therefore aren't receptive. A university this big can only be as good as the staff it has to support it's students. I work my butt off so that I can succeed I need a school working with me not against me. Every time I call, there is NOTHING they can do for me. Seriously, if I wasn't this close I'd leave just cause the idea of paying another penny to this school makes me heated. - They do not care about you, they care about the GLORY!!! Don't Fall For It!!!
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: F

The University of Houston is an improving institution

Apr 15 2013Civil Engineering
The University of Houston is an improving institution with goals that are most beneficial to incoming students. The University's President/Chancellor is working tremendously hard to improve the perception the world has on our institution.

The University Environment:

At first glance, it's not the most attractive university. However, as you study on campus-you grow to become a part of the environment. There is a LOT of construction (New dorms, new university center, new buildings, more greenery, new metro rail to city, etc...). This is great for new students, but for those studying on campus, although it brings hope for a promising future, it's annoying. The overall architecture of the buildings are not necessarily planned out-which I grew to like. You can never get bored with the environment because there's always something new to discover!

The Faculty, Students, and Administration: (Population)
The Honors College houses some AMAZING faculty members that really work to make you think. General classes are less involved, but of course that applies generally for introduction (first year classes). The students in the Honors College are really ambitious and welcoming. They don't carry a "snoody" attitude (which I expected) and are ready to "make friends". The students in the general population are somewhat similar-but can be less friendly at times. The administration has two sides. If you're on the right one-you're going to love them. But if you aren't-you'll probably grow to dislike them. UH IS REALLY DIVERSE. I didn't take this seriously at first-but realized how true it was after coming to the institution. There isn't much of a "majority" at the institution.

Academics/Majors/Grades
There's always going to be that one class you have a hard time succeeding in-even if you get an A+. But, if you are a student that is used to A's, had relatively high (or above average) SAT/ACT/AP/IB scores-you should be fine. (Of course-if you don't put in effort-you'll probably end up with a less than desired grade). There are A LOT of majors and there is A LOT this University has to offer to everyone. The University overall doesn't have a competitive nature when it comes to being in the top percentiles (for students)

UH is a tier one university and this new recognition is promising for prospective students. If you are considering UH and you were within the top 10% of your class, participated in some extra-carricular activities, and/or have an SAT score higher than 1200 (M+V)-the school's going to offer you (as I have noticed) a LOT of money (typically enough to cover more than the cost of your tuition and room/board combined). (Future students) As it's rankings are increasing, your degree should be worth more and should help you that much more in your future after your undergrad years. It's a love hate relationship with UH, but the Honors College & the people really make you think twice before selecting other Universities. I was offered a full tuition scholarship from UT-Austin (& some to other schools), but chose UH, and am growing to love it here. Go Coogs!

1st Year Male -- Class 2016