StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

Sep 15 2013Business - Management and Administration

I think UH is one of the best places to get your higher education degree in state of texas. I would put UH at top 3

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Innovation: B

Honestly, I was upset at first when my

Jun 30 2013Political Science
Honestly, I was upset at first when my parents forced me to stay in Houston, and go to UH. Now I am THRILLED. I saved A TON of money, and I honestly really enjoyed my experience. It's not as bad as people say it is. I've been at UH both super early before the sun rises, and super late at night and NEVER had a problem with safety.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: B

It took me my entire freshman year to

Sep 11 2013Perfomance Arts
It took me my entire freshman year to appreciate UH. Here's why: I was accepted to many high-ranking private schools, but I received a scholarship that essentially pays me to go to UH. Every other school would have made me take out loans, so I chose UH with a lot of bitterness that I couldn't attend a "better" school, regardless of how fortunate I was for the scholarship, ect.

This is what I wanted in a school: academic challenge, opportunity outside of the campus, and a student body that was inclusive and driven. I have found two out of the three. If you want an academic challenge, go to the Honors College. It's challenging and fun, and a really good way to meet people your first year. I'm positive the education is comparable to other liberal arts schools for a fraction of the cost. I've been really happy with my honors experience.

As far as outside opportunity, college is really what you make of it. In some ways, I am glad that UH doesn't offer my exact need, because I can't allow myself to get stuck on the campus and never leave. I did a competitive program this previous summer and found myself with students from Yale, NYU, Reed, whatever. You can find a way to place yourself in the situation you'd like no matter where you are. You just have to look.

Unfortunately, UH is still a big commenter campus. This has changed a bit this year because of the new dorms. But still, it's hard to make friends and really difficult to find people to create an interest group with- people who are a balance of partying but who also like to discuss social issues, like the type you might expect on a liberal arts or ivy campus. These people are hard to find. But it's not impossible. You just have to try, go outside of your dorm, and join a few groups before something sticks.Keep an open mind. I love UH this semester. I think being an underdog here makes you work harder, which will make you stand out if grad school is an option for you. Go coogs!

Surrounding City: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D+