StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

This is my third University and I mustQuite BrightFinance
This is my third University and I must say I love the school itself and the city of Houston, but the faculty and staff here are EXTREMELY hard to deal with. I have been more stressed out with dealing with my transfer hours and University of Houston not being able to work with me to solve my problems regarding transfer of classes and class advising. I didn't want to believe that this school is just treating me as income, but it is quite clear. I have had something go wrong with everything I have done here and all the staff says is that "something went wrong in the system". DO NOT come to UH and expect to have your hand held through graduation process... they will try to keep you there as long as possible. On a side note.. as a male myself there are not many attractive Caucasian women here as you would find at UT or A&M. I have also been told by a few female students that the attractive male population is scarce. I would love to call this a perfect school because I have enjoyed being in the city of Houston and I embrace the school spirit but it is very hard to appreciate the university when you know in the back of your mind that they are trying to drain you of every last penny.
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Social Life: A+, Faculty Accessibility: F
Do not come toQuite BrightFinance
Do not come to this school. This is a school full of ghetto people, and foreigners. The school is ranked very low and is a low-quality education. The school is ugly, no one lives on campus, there's no "college experience" here. As far as classes go, it's just busy work constantly.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F
I have to admit I'm at this schoolSuper BrilliantFinance
I have to admit I'm at this school reluctantly because I couldn't afford to go to a better school so I came in with zero school spirit.

Attending classes and seeing the student body and faculty did not help my mind set at all. The faculty is complacent and doesn't care to enrich the student to further develop an actual understanding of the coursework. There are, however, few exceptions to this, but the majority of the faculty is very disconnected to what teaching should be.

The caliber of student is, again in general, complacent. I believe it stems from the efforts of the professor, but still not a good excuse. Students would rather take an "easy A" course that will not enrich them in the long-run and STILL cheat at an "easy A" course. There is entirely too much cheating at this school. I understand that there is cheating everywhere, but it hurts more when the professor KNOWS that cheating is taking place and does nothing to correct it but to make exams harder (Doesn't matter for the cheaters, punishes those who actually study).

Whoever is in charge of the school budget should be fired. Wasteful spending on non-essential "upgrades" to the school. New railings for a handicapped ramp that originates from a closed off parking lots, dozens of large flat screen televisions that stay on 24/7, buildings that require RE-BUILDING before they are even open....and one of the WORST things is SECURITY and PARKING!!! Security is non-existent. The guard at the front desk video chats with people at the computer, minimizing the camera view. Parking tickets are everywhere because its extra cash for this money-grabbing "university" yet safety is always an issue. I remember getting a parking ticket on a Sunday at 8:30pm... yet I have never seen a security guard past 5pm.Going here will be a huge disservice to your professional career. I have miraculously landed a great job with a very big firm that isn't supposed to hire from UH (I don't blame them), so it IS still possible to get a job... but most people will have to settle for less, IE: Target Floor Supervisor, Enterprise Sales Rep, Non-paid "Financial Advising" internship, and then no job. All of the aforementioned reasons are why UH isn't a target school and why I'm ashamed to tell people I went here. Looking for a job at Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan (NOT CHASE), any top consulting firm, and a plethora more.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
The University of Houston

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→