StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

Do not come to

Sep 21 2012Finance
Do not come to this school. This is a school full of ghetto people, and foreigners. The school is ranked very low and is a low-quality education. The school is ugly, no one lives on campus, there's no "college experience" here. As far as classes go, it's just busy work constantly.
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A, Useful Schoolwork: F

I have to admit I'm at this school

Apr 15 2012Finance
I have to admit I'm at this school reluctantly because I couldn't afford to go to a better school so I came in with zero school spirit.

Attending classes and seeing the student body and faculty did not help my mind set at all. The faculty is complacent and doesn't care to enrich the student to further develop an actual understanding of the coursework. There are, however, few exceptions to this, but the majority of the faculty is very disconnected to what teaching should be.

The caliber of student is, again in general, complacent. I believe it stems from the efforts of the professor, but still not a good excuse. Students would rather take an "easy A" course that will not enrich them in the long-run and STILL cheat at an "easy A" course. There is entirely too much cheating at this school. I understand that there is cheating everywhere, but it hurts more when the professor KNOWS that cheating is taking place and does nothing to correct it but to make exams harder (Doesn't matter for the cheaters, punishes those who actually study).

Whoever is in charge of the school budget should be fired. Wasteful spending on non-essential "upgrades" to the school. New railings for a handicapped ramp that originates from a closed off parking lots, dozens of large flat screen televisions that stay on 24/7, buildings that require RE-BUILDING before they are even open....and one of the WORST things is SECURITY and PARKING!!! Security is non-existent. The guard at the front desk video chats with people at the computer, minimizing the camera view. Parking tickets are everywhere because its extra cash for this money-grabbing "university" yet safety is always an issue. I remember getting a parking ticket on a Sunday at 8:30pm... yet I have never seen a security guard past 5pm.Going here will be a huge disservice to your professional career. I have miraculously landed a great job with a very big firm that isn't supposed to hire from UH (I don't blame them), so it IS still possible to get a job... but most people will have to settle for less, IE: Target Floor Supervisor, Enterprise Sales Rep, Non-paid "Financial Advising" internship, and then no job. All of the aforementioned reasons are why UH isn't a target school and why I'm ashamed to tell people I went here. Looking for a job at Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan (NOT CHASE), any top consulting firm, and a plethora more.

4th Year Female -- Class 2011
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F

I am a non-traditional student at The University

Jul 10 2011Finance
I am a non-traditional student at The University of Houston. I am a 40 something who has returned after spending twenty years in the corporate management field. I'm an undergraduate in my junior year, and I have plans to continue with a graduate degree here when I graduate. I've attended the school for three semesters now. This is the fourth school that I've attended in my life time and I'm not sure some of the critical assessments that I've read here so far have been fair or accurate. Make no doubt about it, this is a large school, so be prepared for lower level classess with hundreds of students in some courses. Texas and Texas A&M are no different in this respect.

I think one of the most unfair assessments is that the school is unsafe or located in a high crime area. Yes, it's true the third ward is a low income neighborhood with a significantly prominent African American population. So if you're expecting the Pepperdine or UCSB demographics you'll be dissapointed. I've never had a problem with the surrounding low income area because I stay on the 770 acre campus while I'm attending school. I've never had a problem with the area or been a victim of crime. I frequently see officers in the parking lots when I arrive and leave the school.

The campus is beautiful and the facilities are well maintained. For a school this size, I'm contestantly surprised by cleanliness of the campus. The school has two great libraries and I've never found any significant deficiencies with the facilities. I've noticed that there have been several complaints about having to walk long distances to get around campus. Well despite the frequent and very reliable bus service, I choose to walk everywhere I go. It's great excersize folks. It is a large campus, but why someone would complaing about having to stroll through a scenic, well landscaped setting is beyond me. I can't figure that one out. The fourth largest city is at your disposal with just about anything you would ever want as far as entertainment, dining, the arts, professional sports, and cultural events.

Now to the meat and potatos of the quality of the education itself. The education is what you make of it. The professors (all of which have been Phd.'s) have been very knowledgeable and informative, however, some of them have been a bit demanding. I think I can say that I've only experienced one professor who would fall among the rank of mediocre. So far every professor that I've encountered has been more than willing to talk to me and answer questions if and when there were any. I see some students who'll approach them with timid aprehension. Don't be afraid guys. Tell them if you need something. Folks this is college, so they are not there to hold your hand and sugar coat this stuff. This is where you make the cut. Just wait till you get into the real world with your chosen professional field of endeavor. You'll look back on UH and have fond memories. You think your professors are tough? Wait until you're in a corporate environment with the balding, jaded, divorced middle management that hates their very own existence.

The ethnic diversity at The University of Houston is incredible. It's literally a global microcosm which makes the entire experience just a bit more interesting. The CASA math lab is staffed with highly competent people who are extremely helpful. Most of the folks in there seeming possess incredible mathematic prowess. I think overall this school has plenty to offer. Every school is unique and UH is no exception. In the end, it's what you as the individual decide to make of it.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2013