StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

Jun 04 2013Psychology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I decided to look up some type of review blog for universities because had I known this is what UH would turn into or was I would NEVER have come here. This school is seriously just a factory and the people are seriously just numbers. All they care about is getting your money. They don't care if you graduate or if you achieve any success. I am middle income and did not get grants, I had to get loans and I have to work. I need a school that understands my situation and isn't just like Oh well, you cant pay you don't go to school. Even though I am a semester away from being done and have paid over $40k. Every time I call the Administrative office for financial Aid or Billing, just to ask questions, the staff already has an attitude and therefore aren't receptive. A university this big can only be as good as the staff it has to support it's students. I work my butt off so that I can succeed I need a school working with me not against me. Every time I call, there is NOTHING they can do for me. Seriously, if I wasn't this close I'd leave just cause the idea of paying another penny to this school makes me heated. - They do not care about you, they care about the GLORY!!! Don't Fall For It!!!
4th Year Female -- Class 2013
Surrounding City: A+, Individual Value: F
Oct 04 2011Economics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Some of the richest people in Houston have roots in the Bauer Entrepreneurship program. Number one in the country by princeton review.
4th Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: A
Jul 07 2011Biology
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
My experience at this university has been nothing but negative. My major is pre-vet. Not only does this school not offer any programs for pre-vet students, there is no one to guide you with course decisions or answer questions. The parking situation is a nightmare. The administrative staff knows how bad the problem is, but has not done anything to improve it. Instead, they are building more dorms for a campus with a large commuter population (thus no need for dorms!)and are eliminating parking spaces to build these dorms!. The staff in the financial aide department in particular and most staff in general are not knowledgeable and are unhelpful. You are just a number at this university.It is difficult if impossible to get an appointment with your academic adviser. The President of the university is more concerned about her image in the city of Houston and making the campus aesthetically pleasing rather than catering to the needs of the students. Freshman level courses are taught by inept professors who either do not speak enough English to communicate effectively or are more concerned with their current research project than educating their students (or like a few of my profs-both). Degrees should be given at this university for simply surviving the vast amount of political bs dished out here. This is a university that people end up at-because they don't want to leave Houston-not a school they are excited to go to, so school spirit is nil.The football team gets more support from the alumni and parents of the players than from students. If you want to go to a school and feel like you are part of something and want people to be there to help you succeed, this is the wrong school to choose. Or if you simply want a good education by teachers who do not hate teaching-you should keep looking.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2014