StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Texas -- Austin, TX
Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Houston

UH is definitely worth it

Nov 30 2013Unknown
UH is definitely worth it. The Honors College & the C.T. Bauer College of Business offer really competitive packages to incoming freshmen.

Finance: I found the perfect fit. The Professional Program in Global Energy Management allows science/math minded students to complete Calc 1-3, Engineering Physics, etc.. and pursue a degree that's geared towards Energy & Economics. I plan on pursuing a dual degree in Environmental Science as well.

The Honors Business Advisors/Program is OUTSTANDING. They have supported my ambitions and have advised me appropriately from the minute I walked in. They insure that we don't take useless waste-of-time classes and refer us to very well taught classes.

Honors: Classes are small. Students are bright. Professors are well educated and expect high quality performance. Honors Minors & Certificates are one of a kind.

UH: Classes are much bigger. Campus is OK. They're working on it though-many new buildings and dorms have and will continue to be built. An emerging university with high ambitions, can't go wrong choosing UH. Go Coogs!

2nd Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: C

Out of the three universities that I attended,

Jun 02 2014Electrical Engineering
Out of the three universities that I attended, this was by far the best. UH has a job center that can get you internships and future jobs, WELL WORTH IT! While I say this, each department at UH is fairly different; each department is like a fiefdom. I was in the ECE department where the professors were present during their office hours, and were very willing to help the students. When I had to take classes under other colleges, like science, the quality was poorer. Language and Liberal arts seemed to be average quality. However, the professors and staff in the Electrical Engineering department were mostly top notch. They were tough, but I learned a lot. From reading these forums it seems like people were expecting friends to flock to them. UH was like the rest of life, you get out of it what you put in. I have friends from my time at UH that I will have for the rest of my life. There are a ton of social societies and different things to do, you just have to look. My best experiences were with professors Dr. Dave and Dr. Barr. The worst was an Indian TA in the math department that wrote on a white board with a yellow highlighter (once). Overall, my good experiences vastly outnumbered my bad ones. The public spaces are mostly nice, and there are plenty of good places to study, eat, and socialize. I am hoping to return for my masters.
4th Year Male -- Class 2007
Education Quality: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: C-

It took me my entire freshman year to

Sep 11 2013Perfomance Arts
It took me my entire freshman year to appreciate UH. Here's why: I was accepted to many high-ranking private schools, but I received a scholarship that essentially pays me to go to UH. Every other school would have made me take out loans, so I chose UH with a lot of bitterness that I couldn't attend a "better" school, regardless of how fortunate I was for the scholarship, ect.

This is what I wanted in a school: academic challenge, opportunity outside of the campus, and a student body that was inclusive and driven. I have found two out of the three. If you want an academic challenge, go to the Honors College. It's challenging and fun, and a really good way to meet people your first year. I'm positive the education is comparable to other liberal arts schools for a fraction of the cost. I've been really happy with my honors experience.

As far as outside opportunity, college is really what you make of it. In some ways, I am glad that UH doesn't offer my exact need, because I can't allow myself to get stuck on the campus and never leave. I did a competitive program this previous summer and found myself with students from Yale, NYU, Reed, whatever. You can find a way to place yourself in the situation you'd like no matter where you are. You just have to look.

Unfortunately, UH is still a big commenter campus. This has changed a bit this year because of the new dorms. But still, it's hard to make friends and really difficult to find people to create an interest group with- people who are a balance of partying but who also like to discuss social issues, like the type you might expect on a liberal arts or ivy campus. These people are hard to find. But it's not impossible. You just have to try, go outside of your dorm, and join a few groups before something sticks.Keep an open mind. I love UH this semester. I think being an underdog here makes you work harder, which will make you stand out if grad school is an option for you. Go coogs!

Surrounding City: A+, Perceived Campus Safety: D+