StudentsReview :: The University of Houston - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Total Grad Surveys 30
Females 14
Males 16
Avg years at University 3.3
Research Quality B- (6.5)
Research Availability B (6.7)
Research Funding B- (6.3)
Graduate Politics B (6.9)
Errand Runners B (6.6)
Degree Completion B (7.0)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B (7.3)
Sufficient Pay B (6.7)
Competitiveness B- (6.2)
Education Quality B (6.8)
Faculty Accessibility B (6.8)
Useful Research B (7.0)
"Individual" treatment B- (6.5)
Friendliness B (6.5)
Safety B- (6.1)
Campus Beauty B+ (7.8)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.6)
University Resource/spending B (6.9)
Extracurriculars B (7.2)
Success-Understanding B (7.0)
Surrounding City A- (8.7)
Social Life/Environment B (6.8)
SafetyB-
Surrounding CityA-

I do not recommend undergraduate or graduate studies

Apr 15 2013Education
I do not recommend undergraduate or graduate studies at the University of Houston, College of Eduction. I do however recommend the University of Houston's other colleges as I received my undergraduate degree from this institution. The College of Education at UH is a JOKE! I have met with them in person twice to find out the exact requirements for graduate studies. Both times I was given information that clearly was misguided. I even had a professor within that college tell me their program sucked and they were very disorganized. I did not want to believe this, but after careful review and past communication with them I strongly encourage anyone NOT TO APPLY TO THE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION at the University of Houston. The communication I had with Dr. Margaret Watson was the final decision not to pursue studies at UH. Her careless tone and incorrect grammar gave me great certainty I can HONESTLY say this is no longer my first choice for grad school.

I have worked at this university for 3

Jun 24 2012Education
I have worked at this university for 3 years. I have been a student for 6 long years. For graduate students in the College of Education Higher Education program there is no support. All along the process I felt kind of alone even though I met with my professors often. When it came time to submit my candidacy and I needed more than a casual pat on the back I was encouraged to "hire an editor". Are you kidding me? After spending thousands of dollars I discovered that the program did not prepare me to do what I needed to do which was write a dissertation. And there was NO ONE who was willing to help. Professors are paid to advise and mentor their students,however, at this institution, I was treated like a step child. I WOULD NOT recommend this university and especially this program to my worst enemy.

While I think the

Aug 06 2011Other
While I think the Law Center has a great value for the education you get I do think they should definitely invest on a new building for the law school. The facilities could be a lot better.
Research Topic(s): Energy Efficienc buildings

Definitely not worth the experience! The department is

Jul 13 2011Civil Engineering
Definitely not worth the experience! The department is hopeless. We never had important relevant courses. Many courses were even outdated. The faculty strength is below minimal. Most unhelpful. Most students are not employed for more than a year now. No funding, no useful research projects! Please choose a different place that is worthwhile.

When I first saw its US-NEWS ranking (Computer

Dec 14 2010Computer Science
When I first saw its US-NEWS ranking (Computer Sci.), I was disappointed a little bit. But once I started studying at UH, I've really appreciated the destiny which brought me here. Let me go one by one:

- Great research opportunities,
- Kind and helpful staff,
- Amazing recreation center (it has the biggest gym I`ve ever seen) and lots of activities,
- Diversity,
- Employment opportunities, etc...
And the good news is UH is getting Tier-one research school very soon :)

THIS UNIVERSITY IS HORRIBLE!!!! I wouldn't send my

Apr 02 2010Chemistry
THIS UNIVERSITY IS HORRIBLE!!!! I wouldn't send my dog to take a dump here. Not only would you probably get robbed..the professors are absolutely horrible. They usually aren't there during office hours. You won't learn much as the professors are more concerned about their research than actually teaching classes. Professors here don't realize that we are STUDENTS...and they are TEACHERS...instead they think we know everything and they can put up their powerpoint slides and get through 100 pages of notes in an hour and a half(I'm not joking) and we've retained everything they've gone through...This university isn't worth attending unless you like feeling like an idiot everyday you are there.

I actually got rejected from this school for

Mar 07 2009Engineering Department
I actually got rejected from this school for the PhD program, because (the letter says that) I do not meet their high standards of GPA and GRE requirements. In contrast, I received a letter from X (top 5 in the US), Y (top 3 in Canada), and Z (top 2 in the UK, and had phone interview with the research council members and the research manager and head of the department) schools that they were intrigued by my initial research proposal and the subject, and accepted with full tuition waiver with research assistantship (conditional upon the evaluation after each year's performance). I just had a good laugh.

need gmat at least

Jan 23 2009Finance
need gmat at least 550 to get in master finance except master of accounting ,which is easier to get in. they dont car eif u have high gpa if ur gmat is less than 550.not a good of a school in terms of faculty. I only found very few good professor who can explain well.

classes are not available

Dec 10 2008Education
classes are not available when your about to graduate. I had to leave ...and had to start over again at another school in the same system!

Without getting lengthy, I'll just say that I

Feb 14 2008Public Policy
Without getting lengthy, I'll just say that I spent half of my time in the Master of Arts in P.A. program and the other half in the M.B.A. program; the difference in professor quality is astonishing. They recently put one Dr. Weiher in charge of the former, who is dry, uninspiring, and one of those tenured guys who is just sucking, sucking, sucking. On the bright side, the university in general hands out money like it's going out of style. Scholarships, teaching assistantships, and jobs are relatively easy to obtain.

Stay away from Dr. Yuasa. He doesn't speak English. It was a struggle. You have to take one class from him to graduate.

It is true that you get what you put in, but I don't know whether that makes things better. I would only join this program if you get a T.A. job and then never work for Yuasa. I graduated just fine and made good time. I'm still looking for work. I've applied to 12 jobs in two months and I'm still waiting to get a first interview. Hope this helps someone out there:)

OMG where can I start

Jan 21 2008Biology
OMG where can I start.....
well Ill start with faculty,
faculty at the biology department are really bad, they dont care about the student's wellfare at all all that they care about is having you do whatever they want at their lab like "slaves" with no regard to whats best for you, you are forced to take only the courses they see fit for you to do what they want you to do;

one faculty actually said once: you must not take courses that prepare you for the future or you feel interesting you should take what we tell you to take!!

2nd most of trhe faculty here dont have money! I guess because they are self absorbed and crybabies that they cant follow whats going on in research to get grants but instead keep on cursing NIH because "the director is an MD and doesn't understand research" how pathetic is that?

now the department if full of politics and turf wars even though its a pathetic department with such a bad overall ranking among departments!! you can check out the statistics.

three new professors are now in charge of the graduate committee and again all that they care about is proving they are better than previous profs and controlling students. plus they, and thats from personal experience, will twist the rules lie and bully junior faculty into doing whatever they want just because they dont like you or feel they need to teach you a lesson!! its scary I am not kidding

pay is the lowest among all Texas schools!! and most probably you have to teach because most profs are bad at what they do so they don't have money, and yet they expect you to be in the lab all week!!! and weekends, which is fine if you were at a decent school or doing decent research or even if you feel they care for your general welfare but they dont give a damn!

overall it was bad decision to come here but when I joined things werent as bad, the department is headed in the wrong direction because of the "new management" so if you can find a place anywhere else do yourself a favour and dont join here unless you very desperate and cant go anywhere else, because in this department its all aboutthem and you or your future career isnt wortha nickle to them.

I came for a PhD degree in this

Aug 18 2007Biology
I came for a PhD degree in this Univ in the Biology and Biochemistry Deptt. Its horrible and FUCKING experience. Never in your nightmare think of coming to this place and particularly this deptt. Look at the profs profile, publications and work. All junk except one or two. Most of the good professors left because of the internal politics. The course structure does not even matches with what the profs teach in the lab. All will talk about there rubbish. Here is an Optiometry dept. I lastly joined there because the prof is adjunct faculty in Biology and Biochemistry Dept.

Don't even ask me about TA. They ask you to work like a slave for a monthly TAship of $1650. And moreinterestingly in a year you have to end up paying $3000 approx for tution fees. Now you understand what they pay............

The profs are as expected with there junk projects have no grants for years and they are not bothered about. They are all tenured and old FUCKING guys sucking the salary of prof and have no output.

Well they have two qualifier as if it is Harvard. And if u can't satisfy your FUCKING prof you are more likely to go out with a MS.

So if you are`planing for a PhD then please don't join here. Life sucks here. Believe me.

May 21 2007Mechanical Engineering

Excellent University! A great place to challenge your mind and find out what it is you want to become.

This school does not have the reputation it

Oct 08 2006History/Histories (art history/etc.)
This school does not have the reputation it deserves. It has wonderulf faculty who are very helpful, and the class sizes are much smaller than other state universities in Texas. The wonderful diversity at the school provides a unique environment that stimulates intense learning, interaction, and cooperation

I graduated from Computer Science and then have

Sep 13 2006Computer Science
I graduated from Computer Science and then have been working here for 3 years. Let me tell you a little bit about my experience over here from a general accademic point of view. I graduated with an MS but took 3 undergrad courses as well. Over the last 6 years the university has transformed drastically. It used to be a little conservative. Now (2006) its like girls gone wild. Its just a place where students are entirely engrossed in their social lives and dress sense. If you think mtv is outrageous you should check out this place. summer or winter the girls are wearing almost nothing. honestly there are girls roaming around in bikinis here.

this place reeks ghetto. the student body is diverse. but all the students are extremely trashy and ignorant. all they care about is partying and getting drunk. just take a walk aroiund campus you will see what i mean.

the course work here is extremely easy if you have any iq at all. Its designed that way to keep these trashy ghetto students from failing. my friend was a math teacher and he told me about some guys on foot ball scholarships not knowing how to use a calculator in their junior year.if you want any kind of successful career stay far away from this place. except for the law school and perhaps optometry the rest of the programs are way below average. IF you want a career at walmart or target as an assistant cashier or any other low paid job then this is the place for you.

The Faculty needs to start taking the students

Feb 26 2006Computer Science
The Faculty needs to start taking the students and research more seriously. Things have improved in the past few years but "High Quality" education is still more a "Department specific" feature. There are a few good Departments and a few good instructors in some departments but on the whole things seem a little laid back. This is a great university with one of the best Financial Aid and Graduate Student Worker programs in place. There is a need for the University to adopt "excellence in every field" as a way of life and not just be content with a few sparks of excellence here and there.

I got my MBA in Finance at night

Dec 07 2005Business - Management and Administration
I got my MBA in Finance at night while working full time during the day. I went to one of the highest ranked engineering schools in the country on the east coast for my undergrad degree and can honestly say UH is a great school. In earning my degree, I was able to participate as a Portfolio Manager in the Cougar Investment Fund. UH is one of only 3 schools in the country that actually trades with real money.

Mmm.

Sep 10 2004Mechanical Engineering
Mmm. I will define UH as the University of "HOS". There are so many PROSTITUTES here at UH going for their graduate degrees! Its no WONDER why they get straight "A" in their classes! Lonely and stupid professors and students just want to FUCK, FUCK, FUCK the prostitutes all day long! Hey, why don't UH become the next strip, I mean FUCK club?

I got master's degree from this university

Apr 16 2003Computer Science
I got master's degree from this university. I took 15 classes in total. Among them, about 3 classes' instructors were good. I learned something. The rest of the classes are just for the credit. The competition in the class was surprisingly high. Sometimes it was stressful. Very few instructors were good. You have to learn it yourself.

In terms of the administration of the whole school, I'll give 6 out of 10. I remember only for the school ID, I went to UC for 4 times. Almost took me whole afternoon. Don't mention other chaotic situations. Only one thing, if you are an international student, you might want to come, since they have very good international center. Very nice people over there. So, my main point is if you have other schools to go to, don't come here.

Something needs to be

Feb 07 2003Electrical Engineering
Something needs to be done. Its really bad out here. Compare the education to other universitites. no human value. I came here for a PhD. This is just my 2nd sem. Im not even sure if I will complete it

UH is a great school

Apr 23 2002Business - Management and Administration
UH is a great school. I finished my MBA and my BBA there. There is always something to do at the school or in the city. I have made many friends. I have enjoyed working with my fellow students and I have learned a lot from the faculty at the College of Business.If you are thinking where to go in Texas, just come to UH. You won't regret it!
Mar 12 2001Electrical Engineering

Great place. A hidden treasure.

Feb 23 2001Mechanical Engineering

This is the best university that i have attended.