StudentsReview :: The University of North Texas - Graduate (MS/PhD) Ratings

Females 7
Males 6
Avg years at University 2.2
Research Quality C (4.7)
Research Availability B- (6.3)
Research Funding C (4.9)
Graduate Politics C+ (5.2)
Not Errand Runners B- (6.4)
Degree Completion C+ (5.2)
Alternative pay [ta/gsi] B- (5.9)
Sufficient Pay C- (4.0)
Competitiveness C (4.4)
Education Quality C (4.6)
Faculty Accessibility B- (6.2)
Useful Research C+ (5.4)
"Individual" treatment C (4.5)
Friendliness C (4.4)
Safety B- (6.0)
Campus Beauty B- (6.3)
Campus Maintenance B (6.6)
University Spending B- (5.9)
Extracurriculars B (6.8)
Scholastic Success C+ (5.1)
Surrounding City B+ (7.6)
Social Life/ Environment C (4.4)
Sufficient PayC-
Surrounding CityB+
Really get to know your faculty when youJun 30 2020Political Science
Really get to know your faculty when you are applying to this graduate school.
Make sure you will be a fit.
Make sure you are not settling and are really excited to be there. My first impression of this place was "No" and I went anyway. Long story short, I did not finish the PhD.

Make sure you have a strong support network, and are not looking for assistanships. The decisions about funding are PURELY political and have undesirable strings attached, such as meddling in your personal life (at least in the political science department), so you need your own resources if you want to avoid all that.

Make sure you really know who you are and will not bend to repeated attempts to mold you in someone's image. They will try. You need a spine and boundaries. Don't expect it to win you any friends.

If you have a clear plan of what you want to research, you will be asked to change your topics and told your topic doesn't matter (see above about the spine).

If you want to do something other than be a professor, you will not get much support. I experienced active resistance, but given the market (a shit show with 1000 people per tenure-track position and $60k starting salary after ~7 years of graduate subsistence, or worse - adjuncting until the day you die) I suspect they will be at least neutral, but they know nothing about how to get a job in the real world, so NETWORK your heart off starting from day 1.

Get involved early and often. Do graduate government, join clubs, work out, and take advantage of career fairs. They hate it when you do it (because they want you to labor day and night without seeing friends or sunlight), but your mental health is more important. Get friendds, network, and resources from outside of the department, so you don't wilt if you loose support for any political reason (which happens all the time).

Pay attention to red flags and cut your losses if it all gets too much. If you feel like you are not being taken seriously, seek out alternative routes for your future. Having a masters and resiliencey is better than a PhD with a depression, ruined relationships, and financial difficulties.

Nov 18 2019Zoology
IM to gay to attend
Warning: Online MS Learning Technologies by far isJan 20 2016Education
Warning: Online MS Learning Technologies by far is the worst and most unethical experience of my life. Make sure to get everything this department says verbally in writing. Don't believe a word about Transfer Credits and make sure you check your State approval for their online programs. I was in Ohio and I couldn't even enroll in online courses unless I was in the state of Texas. I was notified of this in written format within my UNT portal. I was mislead and misinformed throughout the entire admissions process. People seem nice, but are very disorganized. Again, get everything in written format. They kept stating they would refund my application fee. I had to email them four times and report them into the Dallas, TX BBB just to get the money. They were even dishonest to BBB about the date they paid me. I paid in Nov. 2015 and didn't receive my refund until Monday 1/18/2016. What is ethical about this?
I would not invest in the MS inJan 07 2016School of Information
I would not invest in the MS in Learning Technologies. The department is focused on numbers for increase financial stability. They almost never follow through with what they will tell you verbally. Make sure if you attend to get everything in written format. Make sure you are aware of State transfer credits to other states. This program is only approved currently in the state of TX. Make sure you get your tuition costs in writing as well. Again, this department has a really bad problem with not following through with what they tell you verbally. Caution. Administrative Staff, Coordinators, and Director will all give you different answers. They program is very disorganized. The people are sincere, but after a while you will have no confidence in them after working dealing with your planning and graduate work. The department doesn't seem very competent or organized. Again, make sure to get everything in writing because things change for requirements.
I regretted not being ambitious enough to applyApr 03 2013Education
I regretted not being ambitious enough to apply for other schools. The program I was in did not push the boundaries for me nor did it provide me with much support to develop professionally. I was also not well informed about my certification course leading me to believe that I was pursuing an actual certified course. I am talking specifically about the behavior analysis department which i took a certificate course under. When i enrolled for the program, there was no one available to talk to in that department. They were not open to prospective students nor did they provide advising. Also, the special ed. department does not collaborate well with the behavior analysis department which also led to my misinformation. This is very unfortunate and I would not recommend UNT to anyone. Now if I can get UNT to refund all or part of my tuition fee I would feel a wee bit better.
Great University, and incrediblyJul 27 2011Accounting
Great University, and incredibly affordable given the job interviews and international opportunities I was provided. Directed to those reading this--I can only see the cost of tuition going higher as more HS grads. realize how good a school it is. Thankfully I will finish with my Masters soon.
This university is very political from the presidentFeb 01 2010Unknown
This university is very political from the president to the faculties!! Only wants money, do not think about students. Only think about the superficial things how to make school beautiful not the quality of education. The faculties in the department i am studying are super political!! They are even bad to stduents. I will not recommend anyone to come to this university. The advertisement point of UNT is "the BIGGEST" UNIVERISTY in the States. The Biggest is not equal to the best!!Please fucos on the quality of education not the superficial stuff. The atitude of international advisors are terrible. They dont want to help students, they just want to leave school. The admission procesure is the most complicate one, and the efficiency of the staff is 0. Losing the transcripts up to 4 times, even you hand in to them at the office, they could lost it. Not only one student complaine, my friends around me including me have the same problems....are they living in the black hole?
UNT leaves a lot to be desiredAug 27 2003Accounting
UNT leaves a lot to be desired. THe surround area is nice close to Dallas and Denton is growing with many new stores but the school itself is sad. Fees are going through the roof. It cost me $7.50 for a salad and fries in the Union cafeteria. Tuition fees are out of the roof and most faculty members are rude and crude over the phone. I had a friend apply here and they send a rude letter and rejected him...who had a 3.2 GPA in High School.

The campus police are ruthless and will give you a ticket for the slightest thing they are like hawks ticketing you on the first day of school! Extra curr activities are a waste. Frats are full of nothing but racist drunk city boys and most other organizations are full of unfriendly people.

Parking is terrible expect to park at least 15 minuates or more away from your first class.
Professors are bad as well. Most know nothing about the subject they are teaching and give you either really easy tests or really hard tests with 80% of the class failing depending on your major. I hate getting taught to by Grad Student or PHD students in my upper level classes.

The one good point is the new Fitness resource center new this year. Quite impressive. Huge I mean huge. If all you care about is working out then UNT is your place. PLus there is always police patroling around which is good. PLus most teachers are easy to understand as in speak clear English.

The school treats you like a number. Nobody returns calls, nobody wants to answer questions, nobody cares it seems all they care about is their pay check. UNT is a commuter school. You come here then commute home. There are other better school in Texas and just as expensive. If you want a basic overpriced eduction then come here.

UNT is a rapidly growing university that isJul 12 2003Psychology
UNT is a rapidly growing university that is currently experiencing growing pains and an identity crisis. The current economy has a lot to do with the funding problems. I think there is a great potential for success as the university is in a great area of the country, close to a major city, and staffed with generally competent individuals.
Compare UNTSave UNT