StudentsReview :: The University of Texas - Arlington - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Texas - Arlington

I transferred to UTAQuite BrightOther
I transferred to UTA and am about to complete my 2nd year and some how my financial aid gets screwed up every semester at the last second even though i check on it multiple times and am assured every time that everything is in order.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: C-, Education Quality: F
UTA is a very depressing place.Super Brilliant
UTA is a very depressing place. The faculty and staff are basically deterrents to graduating or learning. There are some gems and decent people, but on average this is the case. Some departments are better than others, but there are so many vile and poisonous departments that many of your classes will be almost unbearable. The students are typically very unfriendly, and you'll quickly mimic their behavior if you spend enough time here. Most people who are serious about their education will transfer out, however if you're one of the schmucks that stays behind, you'll be in for a very unpleasant surprise.

The parking for one is a joke, community colleges have better parking. Crime is a huge problem. Many of the parking lots become actual danger zones when it gets dark. Laptops and phones are also stolen constantly. You'll even see people who clearly do not go to school there casing things that they will attempt to rob later. Those two things are bad, but it's the faculty and staff that are the worst. They're very angry, and against the student. I had a professor say that he was simply there for a paycheck and that he worked 12 hours a week or less. I found that very stunning that somebody actually came right out and said that, but I feel that many of his colleagues share that point of view. Anyhow, I would seriously recommend looking at other area schools before you fallback on this one. It might seem like a safe choice, but it's not at all.

5th Year Female -- Class 2005
The first comment I would like to makeAverageElectrical Engineering
The first comment I would like to make is how bad the Math department sucks at UT Arlington. I took an online course in College Algebra. I expected to learn something, boy was I wrong. Keep in mind you are spending a little over 1,000 dollars for sh*ty education. The course starts off by a short crappy online lecture about domains. The broad who also makes you buy her crappy book puts together a video that is barely 2 minutes long and doesn't explain anything.

I thought I was going to see a video similar to a youtube video of somebody working math problems and explaining how they are solved. When you watch the lecture on the computer it appears that the math teacher is a sorry lame piece of work that doesn't care about her job and put minimal effort into her videos. Then you go to her book that was looks like she wrote the piece of crap in six months so she could hurry up and get it published and the math book doesn't explain how to do the math problems. Algebra for dummies is a better written book and it is cheaper. At this university you have to go to a math lab to get help on problems because your professor was to freaking lazy to put out a good lecture.

The way it operates in this sick university is you have to be in a study group to figure work out. The problem with me is that for some reason people never liked me. It has been that way since elementary school. Nobody ever wanted to help me and the ones that did were few and far between. So, case in point I got used to figuring things out on my own and doing work by myself. I have never liked study groups because number 1 people ignore me and want to be the power freak that controls the entire situation or they play around instead of studying or they don't like me and don't really want me in their group to begin with.So that is why I doeverything by myself. Well, with the crappy math books UT Arlington makes you buy, you cant even figure out how the math problems were done. So, I had to spend money on a private tutor to teach me what I was supposed to learn in class by a professor that gets paid over 60,000 a year plus the money she makes out of her haphazardly written book.

So what about the engineering classes? Well, they suck! You might be wondering why they suck. Well, let me tell you why engineering is so bad at this school. I hope you are sitting down when reading this. I heard so many students say I got a D on my test, F's are also quite common. I heard from one student say that the entire class failed the test and the professor is going to give another test in order to drop the old scores. The work is excessive in many cases so what ends up happening is that you don't care if you are learning, because all you care about is making sure that the engineering math problem was done correctly and that you made the grade. I also heard one girl say she feels proud of herself because she spent all freaking day trying to solve one math problem and when she solves it she feels like a since of accomplishment. I thought well if it takes all day to solve one problem then there's the problem.

P.S. Engineering and Math are one in the same. The only difference is that Engineering is a higher level of thinking rather than just figuring out how to solve numbers like in math, for those of you that don't know.

I understand that math is not easy and College Algebra gives you a good idea of what's to come in Engineering. I know that you can spend one hour solving one problem. I am not implying that Engineering should be dummied up in any way. But what the professors need to do is give exercises that start off simple and will build you up to more complex level problems. The professors will simply give you some complicated lab that will take you two weeks to do and on top of that they make you write a lab report and they don't even show you an example of how a lab report should be written. Grade averages in many engineering courses are going down and some professors are trying to figure out why. I think it starts out at Introduction to Engineering, the left wing teachers are so gung ho about giving you a well rounded education in engineering so you can find yourself and decide for yourself what you want to be. I think they are about 20 years behind the times. Now there is something called google and youtube if I am interested in a particular field I will do all my research before I make a decision. I will read blogs watch testimonials on youtube and talk to people and then I will make my decision. I decided on electrical engineering I don't give a rats behind about mechanical engineering or industrial engineering. I simply don't care and it bothers me that I have to be in a group with people that are not even from my profession. It also bothers me that professors are summarizing things that are already in the book. For example I got an e-mail from a professor telling us to read certain pages so we can utilize class time for discussion. Well the fat engineer tells us to read the stories in class, I already stayed up till 4:00 in the morning reading the stories, I did my homework, but my class time was being wasted to wait for the lazy piece of work engineers to read what they were supposed to read the night before and that bothers me because the teachers are not teaching responsibility they are teaching like a high school teacher. The point of the latter half of the discussion was to say that they are not spending time teaching you what you need to know for your career. Teach me what I need to know for electrical engineering, I don't give a flying flip about the other engineering programs. That is what the internet is for. Well I hope my review sheds some light on why UT Arlington is not a good choice for engineering.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017