StudentsReview :: The University of Texas El Paso - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Texas El Paso

Quite BrightHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
My advice is simple. Go to another university.
more→Nov 10 2010
1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Collaboration/Competitive: C+, Individual Value: F
UTEP is an alright school.BrightFinance
UTEP is an alright school. The biggest complaint here and from most other people is the fact that its a commuter school. So yes, for the most part campus shuts down after 5. If you want a campus life and want to go to UTEP, I highly encourage you to live in Miner Village because its not quite dead there and not every one there if from El Paso. That being said the school does have a pretty easy pass mentality, if you want to get by with a C. A lot of professors will just prod you along and give you the C. That being said its not quite so easy to get an A in all your classes either. You really do have to put in the work. I got a pretty awesome job in my field making good money out in Chicago after graduation. The moral of the story, if you're going to go to college you can do it just be prepared for the ups and downs and bust your ass off and regardless of which college you went to, you should be ok. I'm working with people that went to Norte Dame, Penn, Pitt, OSU, Drake, Chicago, Northwestern... I'm pretty content.
more→Sep 22 2010
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B
If I had the opportunity to attend anotherQuite BrightSocial Work
If I had the opportunity to attend another university in order to obtain my bachelor's in Social Work I WOULD, no questions asked. I'm sorry but UTEP is a just a joke. I know tuition has to increase every so often but these days I just think that you are paying more money than what it is really worth. The education there is mediocre at best because it is very unchallenging, sloppy, dull and pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I know some departments like Engineering or Nursing are praised quite highly but everything else just doesn't cut it. The SOWK deparment is horrendous and I really was looking forward to actually having professors who were interested in teaching. Most do not care and are only interested in conducting their research projects. I heard that UT Austin has a better deparment for this field and I hope to someday go there to obtain my masters. Social life? Non-existent. By 5PM mostly everything is closed and everyone has already gone home. I would definitely think 3 times before even wasting time and money to get an "education" in this university. If you have a chance to go elsewhere, PLEASE DO! Avoid this place at all costs.
more→Aug 19 2010