StudentsReview :: The University of Texas El Paso - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Texas El Paso

Sep 22 2010Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
UTEP is an alright school. The biggest complaint here and from most other people is the fact that its a commuter school. So yes, for the most part campus shuts down after 5. If you want a campus life and want to go to UTEP, I highly encourage you to live in Miner Village because its not quite dead there and not every one there if from El Paso. That being said the school does have a pretty easy pass mentality, if you want to get by with a C. A lot of professors will just prod you along and give you the C. That being said its not quite so easy to get an A in all your classes either. You really do have to put in the work. I got a pretty awesome job in my field making good money out in Chicago after graduation. The moral of the story, if you're going to go to college you can do it just be prepared for the ups and downs and bust your ass off and regardless of which college you went to, you should be ok. I'm working with people that went to Norte Dame, Penn, Pitt, OSU, Drake, Chicago, Northwestern... I'm pretty content.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B
Aug 19 2010Social Work
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If I had the opportunity to attend another university in order to obtain my bachelor's in Social Work I WOULD, no questions asked. I'm sorry but UTEP is a just a joke. I know tuition has to increase every so often but these days I just think that you are paying more money than what it is really worth. The education there is mediocre at best because it is very unchallenging, sloppy, dull and pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I know some departments like Engineering or Nursing are praised quite highly but everything else just doesn't cut it. The SOWK deparment is horrendous and I really was looking forward to actually having professors who were interested in teaching. Most do not care and are only interested in conducting their research projects. I heard that UT Austin has a better deparment for this field and I hope to someday go there to obtain my masters. Social life? Non-existent. By 5PM mostly everything is closed and everyone has already gone home. I would definitely think 3 times before even wasting time and money to get an "education" in this university. If you have a chance to go elsewhere, PLEASE DO! Avoid this place at all costs.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
Jul 30 2010Mechanical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I think I would have saved myself a lot of grief in the beginning if I had treated UTEP more like a greedy, penny-pinching pack of liars and misinformers. Early on I was struck with the "no scholarships for you!" treatment with run-arounds galore, which shocked me since I had excellent scores and teacher recommendations when I came in (enough that I would have had my full tuition paid if the university's scholarships office hadn't gone back on so many of their promises). Eventually I realized that the offices of financial aid and scholarships are, to UTEP, simply methods of railroading you into getting loans.

But that's how the administration works, and this mentality of "they're gonna try to screw me" is best when dealing with them (it's a lot like going to the DMV). Professors and departments are a whole other animal, though. For my part, I can say that the mechanical engineering department, while not of the highest quality in terms of equipment or professors, took very good care of me and others I knew. And the emphasis was not so much on simply knowing everything, but rather on learning to *understand* things, knowing where to find information, and learning to question data like your life depends on it (because in engineering it sometimes does). It's an excruciatingly difficult program; don't go into it with the attitude that you're going to be okay just because you took calculus in high school and had a great GPA and SAT scores. Instead, go into it as if you're going to be fighting a grizzly bear, knowing that you may lose this fight now and again. Don't you dare think that "Oh, this was HIS experience. I'm pretty smart, so I can adapt!" There are smarter students in my program than me, but not many, so trust me, and just try to survive. Granted, now you're screwed with the 6-drop limit, so ask around about professors. I kid you not, the difference between an A and an F, between understanding everything and understanding nothing, is in which professor you choose to learn from and which textbook they choose to read from.

Nightmare professors include Bronson, Dowdy, and Hawkins (although you can get used to each of their death grips if you work like hell): These nightmare professors are the ones you'll learn the most from, but you may not like your grade if you take courses with them.

Professors who can't teach worth a darn include Vargas, Kumar, and Gomez. Vargas is too vague and indirect, Kumar just doesn't teach well, and Gomez will first do an awful job of teaching before raining hellfire on you with her quizzes. Of the three, opt for Kumar. He's bad at teaching, but of the three he's the only one who really, truly knows his stuff.Everett and Choudhuri are challenging without being bloodthirsty, and their grading can be pretty flexible. You'll live.

5th Year Male -- Class 2009