StudentsReview ™ :: The University of Texas El Paso - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Texas El Paso

If I had the opportunity to attend another

Aug 19 2010Social Work
If I had the opportunity to attend another university in order to obtain my bachelor's in Social Work I WOULD, no questions asked. I'm sorry but UTEP is a just a joke. I know tuition has to increase every so often but these days I just think that you are paying more money than what it is really worth. The education there is mediocre at best because it is very unchallenging, sloppy, dull and pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I know some departments like Engineering or Nursing are praised quite highly but everything else just doesn't cut it. The SOWK deparment is horrendous and I really was looking forward to actually having professors who were interested in teaching. Most do not care and are only interested in conducting their research projects. I heard that UT Austin has a better deparment for this field and I hope to someday go there to obtain my masters. Social life? Non-existent. By 5PM mostly everything is closed and everyone has already gone home. I would definitely think 3 times before even wasting time and money to get an "education" in this university. If you have a chance to go elsewhere, PLEASE DO! Avoid this place at all costs.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

I think I would have saved myself a

Jul 30 2010Mechanical Engineering
I think I would have saved myself a lot of grief in the beginning if I had treated UTEP more like a greedy, penny-pinching pack of liars and misinformers. Early on I was struck with the "no scholarships for you!" treatment with run-arounds galore, which shocked me since I had excellent scores and teacher recommendations when I came in (enough that I would have had my full tuition paid if the university's scholarships office hadn't gone back on so many of their promises). Eventually I realized that the offices of financial aid and scholarships are, to UTEP, simply methods of railroading you into getting loans.

But that's how the administration works, and this mentality of "they're gonna try to screw me" is best when dealing with them (it's a lot like going to the DMV). Professors and departments are a whole other animal, though. For my part, I can say that the mechanical engineering department, while not of the highest quality in terms of equipment or professors, took very good care of me and others I knew. And the emphasis was not so much on simply knowing everything, but rather on learning to *understand* things, knowing where to find information, and learning to question data like your life depends on it (because in engineering it sometimes does). It's an excruciatingly difficult program; don't go into it with the attitude that you're going to be okay just because you took calculus in high school and had a great GPA and SAT scores. Instead, go into it as if you're going to be fighting a grizzly bear, knowing that you may lose this fight now and again. Don't you dare think that "Oh, this was HIS experience. I'm pretty smart, so I can adapt!" There are smarter students in my program than me, but not many, so trust me, and just try to survive. Granted, now you're screwed with the 6-drop limit, so ask around about professors. I kid you not, the difference between an A and an F, between understanding everything and understanding nothing, is in which professor you choose to learn from and which textbook they choose to read from.

Nightmare professors include Bronson, Dowdy, and Hawkins (although you can get used to each of their death grips if you work like hell): These nightmare professors are the ones you'll learn the most from, but you may not like your grade if you take courses with them.

Professors who can't teach worth a darn include Vargas, Kumar, and Gomez. Vargas is too vague and indirect, Kumar just doesn't teach well, and Gomez will first do an awful job of teaching before raining hellfire on you with her quizzes. Of the three, opt for Kumar. He's bad at teaching, but of the three he's the only one who really, truly knows his stuff.Everett and Choudhuri are challenging without being bloodthirsty, and their grading can be pretty flexible. You'll live.

5th Year Male -- Class 2009
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Innovation: F

Be advised: UTEP is a so-called university designed

Jul 13 2010Accounting
Be advised: UTEP is a so-called university designed for ill-prepared, indolent people, who want a degree without making the effort to get it.

Most students are incapable (I am not exaggerating here) of writing simple, basic Sentences, either in English or in Spanish.

Most students are professional cheaters, and they cheat on exams and assignments in collusion with the administration, who tends to favor academic dishonesty with low, or non-existent punishments.

In several classes I was doing the homework and studying hard, only to find out at the end that other people, who had never showed up to class or did the homework, cheated, got a grade better than I did and got away with it.

A UTEP student main concern is the way in which he/she will lie to get away with studying, and the faculty and administrations condone this line of conduct.

Standards are very low and very little is expected from the students, to the extent that I did not feel I learned much from the many classes I have taken (tough my GPA is 3.92)

Grade inflation, on the other hand, is outrageous at UTEP: in order to get good student evaluations, faculty give away grades demagogically, so that students tend to expect an A for just sitting in class. This phenomenon reaches disgusting proportions in some departments, such as the Department of Education and the College of Liberal Arts.

Now in the job market, I realize that the mere mention of UTEP in my transcript elicits scorn from my potential employers.

UTEP is a place in which the administrators are making a living out of giving away degrees to almost illiterate people, who neither want, nor are prepared to work hard for their education. So, beware, : It is extremely easy to get in, but the consequences will haunt you for ever.

4th Year Female -- Class 2010