StudentsReview :: The University of Texas El Paso - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Texas El Paso

UTEP is an alright school

Sep 22 2010Finance
UTEP is an alright school. The biggest complaint here and from most other people is the fact that its a commuter school. So yes, for the most part campus shuts down after 5. If you want a campus life and want to go to UTEP, I highly encourage you to live in Miner Village because its not quite dead there and not every one there if from El Paso. That being said the school does have a pretty easy pass mentality, if you want to get by with a C. A lot of professors will just prod you along and give you the C. That being said its not quite so easy to get an A in all your classes either. You really do have to put in the work. I got a pretty awesome job in my field making good money out in Chicago after graduation. The moral of the story, if you're going to go to college you can do it just be prepared for the ups and downs and bust your ass off and regardless of which college you went to, you should be ok. I'm working with people that went to Norte Dame, Penn, Pitt, OSU, Drake, Chicago, Northwestern... I'm pretty content.
Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B

If I had the opportunity to attend another

Aug 19 2010Social Work
If I had the opportunity to attend another university in order to obtain my bachelor's in Social Work I WOULD, no questions asked. I'm sorry but UTEP is a just a joke. I know tuition has to increase every so often but these days I just think that you are paying more money than what it is really worth. The education there is mediocre at best because it is very unchallenging, sloppy, dull and pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I know some departments like Engineering or Nursing are praised quite highly but everything else just doesn't cut it. The SOWK deparment is horrendous and I really was looking forward to actually having professors who were interested in teaching. Most do not care and are only interested in conducting their research projects. I heard that UT Austin has a better deparment for this field and I hope to someday go there to obtain my masters. Social life? Non-existent. By 5PM mostly everything is closed and everyone has already gone home. I would definitely think 3 times before even wasting time and money to get an "education" in this university. If you have a chance to go elsewhere, PLEASE DO! Avoid this place at all costs.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

I will do my best to ignore the

Jul 08 2011Social Work
I will do my best to ignore the negative things posted here, especially when someone complains about other students not knowing how to "wright" essays, etc. Please, if you want to be critical, make sure you can do so intelligently yourself! I am very pleased with the education I received while attending UTEP which, of course, had a bad reputation even when I was young. Everyone I knew who "had anything going on at all" had to go away to a "known" Texas school like UT Austin or even somewhere like Texas State University which itself had a reputation of being a party school. Needless to say, that is where I started and ended up transferring back to EP to straighten some things out. I have to say that by getting involved with peers through a campus organization (the BSU) and pursuing my educational goals, I grew leaps and bounds as a person and as a future professional. I immediately entered my chosen field of Social Work and was COMPLETELY prepared to excel in that field (as much as anyone is prepared without being versed in the situational things that come up, of course). I worked in Santa Theresa and then EP (Providence, where I was born) and then moved to Central Texas. I went on to get my graduate degree in a similar field and am pleased to say that my undergraduate degree was viewed as comparable to a degree from any other school. I have worked along-side graduates from schools like UT and OU and am well-respected for my knowledge and abilities, many of which I credit, yes, here it comes, UTEP! I do believe you get what you put into things so I think if you are deteremined to PREPARE YOURSELF by studying hard and gaining as much knowledge that you can and being gracious about it, you can be successful. I also have to say God helped the most. I did have one professor who challenged my values and might have kept me from attending the graduate school that was offered through UTEP. Bitter? Nah, everything works out. As said before, I moved to Central Texas and got my Masters there. Stand your ground and work your tail off, be persistent and never, never give up and you too can be successful, even graduating from the "oh-so-low" University of Texas at El Paso. I imagine it has even improved since I was there. Unless you have a chip on your shoulder, and have to have something impressive to display to be "someone", a degree is a degree and it will be the chip that will keep you from getting that job! Be proud if you grew up in El Paso. I've come across so many colleagues who can't spell or WRITE worth a beans who graduated from big, bad universities. I've learned to assess intelligence and respect-worthiness by observing other things and not being so dang judgmental. Personality, and character go much further than where you graduated from. However, UTEP did contribute to who I am today and I am blessed to have had the opportunity to do a lot of my "growing" there. I have very little negative to say but I WANTED a good education and only I could be responsible to get one, and I did. Oh, one more thing, being biligual is golden. Keep up with the Espanol. In summary (tee, hee) here is a big thanks to UTEP for preparing me for my field and the world.
Starting Job: Psychiatric Social Worker-Santa Theresa, NM Preparedness: A Reputation: B

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX