StudentsReview :: The University of Texas El Paso - Comments and Student Experiences

Southwest Texas State University -- San Marcos, TX
Texas A&M University at College Station -- College Station, TX

The University of Texas El Paso

I am a first year student here at

Nov 04 2011Civil Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am a first year student here at UTEP and I am a student athlete. I've heard all kinds of negative things about the campus and life here in El Paso but as far as I can see everything that was said was wrong and far fetched. El Paso seems to be a great place to me and even though I haven't been here for very long it's starting to become a second home. Now at times do I get bored or down, yes, but being from dallas, which is nine hours away, I do tend to get a little home sick. I've made several friends here and have even made some what I believe to be life long friends. The university is a great you to attend school and I'm really excited about my next four years here as a student athlete. So for everyone who has something negative to say about the university, I really do hope you have a very legitimate reason for doing so and that you yourself have experienced the wrongs that you are accusing the campus of having. Utep is a great university and I am happy to call myself a miner. Go Utep!!!
1st Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: B-

Honestly when I graduated I would have NEVER

Nov 12 2010Business - Management and Administration
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Honestly when I graduated I would have NEVER considered going to UTEP. I applied to many schools, and because of my good GPA I got into many of my choices such as Baylor, St. Marys, UNT, Washington State, and Northwestern. Unfortunately I was unable to leave home due to family issues and decided to go to UTEP until things worked themselves out.

At first I hated it. I was more embarrassed that I was going there then actually trying to look for the good in it. I have in fact learned that it has so much to offer. For those who complain about their majors program, I feel that the Engineering School, Nursing School, Business School, and even the Lib Arts do have profs with great passion and a great curriculum. Then again I asked around for the best classes to take before I registered. The courses I have taken have been very rewarding.

As for campus life, you have look at the events going on around you. Places such Leech grove, Union Breezeway, and the Geology Lawn almost always has an organization, or Greek event going on. If you are really interesting in things that you can be involved in around campus go to the SGA. They have tons of information about campus life. There are tons of events such as the movie premiers, local band shows, and different fun contests. Really you just have to go ask. I personally am involved in Greek life and trust me, tons of things happen on campus.

The surround area of the city does have places to go. There are a good number of clubs, bars, comedy clubs, and concerts to have a good time at. Again you just have to look around and find your own fix in the city.Really some of these responses are just from people who haven't given the school a chance. Its what you make of it. Just give it a chance :)

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Social Life: A+, Innovation: B-

I'm not saying that you won't learn anything

Dec 21 2008Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'm not saying that you won't learn anything at UTEP, but the reputation will kill you once you get into the job market. I could not get internships at top companies, as I wanted to go to graduate school in my field. Even though my grades were quite good, 3.80, the schools I wanted to go to placed me at the bottom of the list. Since I'm from the area, I stayed and am working at a job well below that of my supposed educational level. I should have gone to an out of state school of went to UT Austin.
Starting Job: Computer Technition Preparedness: D Reputation: D