StudentsReview :: Victoria College - Comments and Student Experiences

Victoria College

While there are several great professors there, the overall experience is that of taking high school courses where your bullying, condescending, not to mention inadequate teachers treat you like a bad child for not accepting their behaviors, or expecting quality teaching.

This does not work for adult learners such as myself, or for someone with panic disorder, such as I have. (Which having been treated horribly, by these profs, was exacerbated).

Know that when you go for help against these profs, student services, (from your advisor and counselor who you put your trust in), will arrange a meeting with the Dean assuring you he will advocate for you, only to walk in his office to find YOU are apparently the problem, YOU have done something wrong, and HE doesn't want to "see you in his office again". As surreal as it sounds, I was promised help, only to be humiliated and accused.

This, after proving I have an actual disability, and asking for reasonable accommodations I did not receive,(I recieved one unhelpful accomodation) and, explaining how these hostile profs were 1.) not complying with that one accomadation 2.) Backlash bullying for requesting the accomodations in the first place.

These things were "not his concern".
The worst part is having a mental health professional I trusted take part in such a circus.
I assume the good reviews are from those who are very young and expect that this experience is supposed to be like high school, and simply don't know professors of colleges and universities are not to behave as, well, the terrible high school teachers we all encountered occasionally.

And for the record, I am an exemplary student with a 4.0. So my review is not based on my being some whiny kid who thinks everyone's mean and the courses are too hard. Which is what I have basically been accused of by abusive profs.

I understand it's an affordable school, but please,try for something better.

2nd Year Female -- Class 1920
Perceived Campus Safety: C+, Education Quality: F
My main complaint about Victoria College is theQuite BrightUndecided
My main complaint about Victoria College is the how unhelpful the administrative staff are. I have gotten screwed over in the two summers I have gone here because the staff misinformed me or did not inform me period of what I was supposed to do. The staff and administrative employees seem very unorganized and untrained. They seriously need to invest in getting better training for their staff. They are rude and will argue and fight you over what they think is right when in reality, they are not when you look up the answer in national and state guidelines. Worst administrative staff EVER.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A, Innovation: F
For a student who doesnt know where exactlyBrightPsychology
For a student who doesnt know where exactly they want to go for the next 4 years of their life but still want a good education while you make up your mind, this is the place for you. First of all, the teachers are really nice, very smart, and helpfull. It is the only community college that actually prepares you for real universities. Most students that go here do very well at the university they transfer to. Classes are pretty dificult and making an "A" isnt always easy. Lots of studying.

If you want to have fun, and meet lots of new people this is not the place for you, for many reasons. There are alot of girls that go to this school, that was a good thing, but most of them are not very talkitive. I met some good friends here, but it took some serious work to open them up into conversation. Socially this school sucks, the majority of the people that go here are very held back and have the "I'm pissed becuase I live in Victoria attitude". Which leads me to my next point

Victoria is a nightmare, there is nothing to do in the entire town unless you are into going to a dance 20 miles away full of high school children. The roads suck to drive on, the town needs serious help. I was seriously considering buying a 12-point racing harnest seatbelt to ensure my safety because the roads are so bumpy. "Navarro" is the only thing in this town that keeps its poor pathetic heart beating. All the locals talk about is "duh traffic on navarra yisterdaye". Oh yeah and "Catus Canyon" sucks too, unless your into girls that mostly resemble a walking STD. Dont waste your time with that piece.

All in all, this is a great school. It is also really well kept(landscaping)very pretty campus for Victoria , and technology is immense. But if you want an easy community college that is more social, go to Austin Community College, and you'll see what the "real world" is really like. Austin is misplaced in Texas, it should belong somewhere else in this country, perhaps....New Jersey? Austin is diverse and you will get to see alot of unique people, instead of the average White, Conservative, Christian that makes up alot of Texas. I go to ACC right now, I it is definately worth the experienceP.s- for anyone that chooses to attend this school watch out for the crazy Mexicans that drive the golf cart/fourwheeler thing around campus, they might run you over if you give him a bad look. Yeild to them, they probably have the right-of-way.

1st Year Male -- Class 2007