StudentsReview :: Stevens Henager College Ogden - Comments and Student Experiences

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology -- Terre Haute, IN
Rose State College -- Midwest City, OK
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Stevens Henager College Ogden

Please be aware that this particular college caters

Dec 01 2009Other
Please be aware that this particular college caters to a very specific consumer; primarily, it caters to students who otherwise cannot, due to cognitive ability or socio/cultural issues, attend a traditional community college or traditional university.

It caters to the substandard student, the uncommitted student, and the uninformed student. It is for those who barely squeaked through high school, who only earned a GED, for those who want a "quick fix" for their financial woes.

It is for those students who feel everything should be given to them and want to be catered to as if they were at a Taco Bell drive through. It is for those students who balk at the idea of a rigorous academic experience. It is for the lazy and the entitled "millenials".

If you are any of these, you will receive adequate, career-oriented training. This is not an academic college, and as such, cannot be compared to one. It trains you for a task, for a job.

Instructors are experts in their fields. Most hold a Master's in their field, and many have their Ph.D.'s. As a result, many are disgusted by the lack of effort of the students, and many are worn down by demanding excellence from their students and instead only receiving mediocrity.Choose wisely, young grasshopper. What are your goals? To get a job? If so, this school will work for you. If you want an intellectual experience, choose a traditional university.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Education Quality: F

every other review i've read has just been

Dec 12 2009Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
every other review i've read has just been rude and degrading to this school. stevens-henager is a way out of that 9-5 job. they are flexible and willing to do what it takes for you to pass. i read in one review that the computers were refurbished. NOT TRUE!!! i got a brand new 2009 macbook pro. with adobe CS4. all of that including books would've costed me over $2,000 out of my pocket. instead the school finds a way for people who may be less fortunate (or are just having a hard time) to complete school and have a higher education than a GED or high school diploma. it is a good thing to know that the credits are hard to transfer. when considering this school remember that they will only teach you what you need to know in order to get a job somewhere in your field. it is up to you if you want to expand your knowledge. i have not had one class that has given me busy work. every assignment that i've completed has taught me something new. this school gives you classes that teach you what businesses are looking for in a graphic artist or bussinessman...whatever you are going to school for. the only way to see this school as a lesser school is if you as a student are not putting in 100% on your degree. if you want a job become the best on your own. if a company see's that you are going to stevens-henager he might be a little questionable at first but, if you have great work and you really know your stuff they will hire you. stevens-henager also has one of the highest graduation percentages i've seen. school is easy if you take the easy route. if you push yourself and get into the subject you're studying it becomes a challenge. everyone wants a challenge. so challenge yourself.
1st Year Male -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C

Although I am not an international student, I

Nov 30 2009Business - Management and Administration
Although I am not an international student, I am a local Stevens-Henager student. The classes are too easy(so that they make sure they keep getting your financial aid money). Every test I have had so far has been open book. I haven't learned anything that I didn't already know or is common sense. When you go in for information about the school they guarantee to find you a job when you get your degree, but after you are in they tell you "let's be realistic there is no guarantee". They also tell you "We want to make sure that you graduate, so you also get free tutoring" That's a joke! The so called math tutor expert couldn't help me with fractions. She referred me back to my teacher, who had referred me to her. I also overheard her trying to help another student in another subject, the tutor had no idea what she was doing. The girl that she was helping was getting increasingly frustrated and the tutor told her maybe she should go ask her teacher(hmmm, the same answer she gave me) the student got up and left and said "forget this! She referred me to you!"

Every school I have called to see if I can transfer my credits laughs when I ask. A woman on the other end of the line at a community college, tried to be very nice about why they will not transfer credits from Stevens-Henager, after some beating around the bush about why, I said"It's OK you can just say it", She said "well, I am just trying to find the right way to put it." She told me, they(Stevens-Henager), are not at the same accreditation level as we are. They(students) are not getting the required teachings and class time. Here are some of the other red flags. When I first signed up I asked them why they were so expensive, she told me it was because they included our books in that price. Ummm, we only get to borrow the books from the library, we have to give them back at the end of each course. So they aren't actually giving us our books. Next she said that we also give you a laptop. HA HA HA, that's a joke, it is a refurbished computer that they have total access to once you enter the college campus. They read your instant messages and lower your firewalls so they can get in there and do what they want. If you block them out with your own firewall and security system, you can not access the Internet from the school. Hmmm I don't think I want someone I don't know having total access to my computer. Then they let you know that if your laptop is stolen or destroyed they will charge you $2000.00 even with a police report, and they will not give you another one. I don't know about you but I am not paying $2000 for a $400 refurbished laptop. Then she told me that the expense is also for the privilege of using the Stevens-Henager name. What a joke! I was recently at an ICU unit at the hospital about 4 blocks from Stevens Henager and I asked the nurse if they ever hire anyone that has graduated from Stevens-henager, she rolled her eyes and laughed noooooooooo, "This is a hospital that needs people who know what they are doing." Great, so after all this money and time, I am going to have a worthless $40, 000.00 (That's right, that's how much I'm paying.)piece of paper that says I graduated from a scamming college with a worthless(not to mention laughable) degree. If you aren't convinced yet that they are a scam here is another thing that happened. In my 'Into to computers' mod(course), the teacher was awful, when I asked him questions about something in Excel, he said he didn't know, and walked away. Hello!! You are the teacher! I got so frustrated that I had everything wrong and I gave up and sent it in not even halfway done! Guess what grade I got. No come on just guess! I got an A, What the? How is that possible, at that moment is when I knew, this is a scam! They claim to have been in business for over 100 years. They are so disorganized, I find that hard to believe.I am expecting to come to school one day and find the place locked up tight with nothing but papers flying in the wind, and a big note on the door saying, "SEE YA SUCKERS"

1st Year Female -- Class 2011