StudentsReview ™ :: Stevens Henager College Ogden - Comments and Student Experiences

Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology -- Terre Haute, IN
Rose State College -- Midwest City, OK
Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA

Stevens Henager College Ogden

In general the education is "ok"

Oct 27 2009Biology
In general the education is "ok". You pay for an associates degree normally about $35k, are you getting an education that is worth $35k? HELL NO! When you walk in it looks good, it seems like a college that has its stuff together, and they make all sorts of promises, such as "you will have no problem transferring to other schools because we are nationally accredited." **FALSE** I talked to a FEW nearby schools such as University of Utah, Utah Valley University, Utah State University, Weber State University and they ALL said they would not take anything from Stevens Henager. Or "we are always here to help you, the classes are small for the reason that the professors are there for you. If you have any issues you can just go to your professor and they are more than willing to help." **BS** I tried to get ahold of professors for help and they were less than willing. Sure they are willing to help you while you are in class, but that's where it ends. I started in the provo/orem campus and had to transfer to the murray campus due to having to move. It took them a MONTH to get my transcripts transferred when in this day and age with the technology called computers (BTW they teach technology... seems like an oxymoron to me) and internet it should have been done the next day MAXIMUM! My graduation date was set for April of 2010, now that I've transferred they are setting me back 5 months!! The majority of the students there are usually the ones that look like they've hit a few too many crack pipes, and been in prison more than once... I would NEVER recommend this school to even my worst enemy because even they deserve a better education than I am getting.
1st Year Female -- Class 2010
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F

Don't go here unless you know what the heck you are doing

Oct 05 2009Other
Don't go here unless you know what the heck you are doing and have done your research homework on other schools. I am out $20k, and I am one of the lucky ones, most people owe more back to various loan providers.

Sure, they PROVIDE books for use in classes, and you have to turn them in at the end of the month (or "module" as they call it)!!! THAT IS WHERE THEY GET THEIR STINKING FILTHY MONEY, makes you wonder how legal that can be!!! YOU DON'T GET TO KEEP THOSE BOOKS(unless they decide to change which books they use, then you can keep them)!! (It would be most helpful to keep them for reference especially since I and so many others are in the MEDICAL FIELD!!!)

And alot of the time if you have a question about homework or school-related, you'll have a much easier time finding a 3-legged ballerina than some of those "Professors". When they have some social thing, very rare, at the school, like a "bbq" off example, they mainly cater to the night classes, so day ppl, you are sol.

For those of you who like breaks, i.e. summer vacation, spring/fall break...what are those...don't exist here; you only get a 2 week break off for Christmas...but I am sure they do that more for the employees sake than the students.

Often time some students get the royal treatment, of course the ones who don't deserve it. One female student in my "major" (Medical Specialties) was HABITUALLY LATE (SHC policy states that if a student is over 30 minutes late--even if they come in--are absent, and you can only miss 4 classes a module...she must have broken a guiness world record), always came to class unprepared, interrupted the learning process by asking questions that had already been answered during the time she saw fit not to be there, she became irrate at the teachers because when she took tests/finals she would get so many wrong and claim the teacher taught none of it, and had horrible hygiene (just great for a med professional eh?). This same student with truly horrible attendance (a lot of it was changed by some of the professors due to pity factor) GRADUATED WITH HONORS AND MADE THE DEANS LIST!!!!! Her irresponsible name next to my and everyone else's hard-working one was a true slap in the face! I am sure she is employed at a medical office near you. A good 98% of the people in medical were fed up with her antics and were told by the staff that they were "working on it" and to try to concentrate on their own studies.

You WILL suffer from burn out after a good 6 months with no breaks. They tell you just to stick with it.

Gotta love the landscaping too!! NO flagpole, I guess they are un-American. And what could be a cute little "mote"/"stream" is actually the perfect cesspool breeding ground for West Nile. Cigarette butts and black smudge marks grace the North side of the building. And you will absolutely love the picnic table as it gives a beautiful scenic view of I-15 not but 20 feet away!!! The sinks in the women's bathroom are "automated" which means they work when they want to. For your hunger, they offer less than what high schools get offered in vending machines; and those machines are picky! Some only take dollars, others just change. I have been to campuses that have far more superior vending machines that hold healthier and less expensive food.

If you plan on going here; you better only go because you plan on becoming a medical assistant or patient care tech because there are programs out there (as in not in this school) that will get you to be certified: in pharmacy tech, rad tech, CNA, phlebotomy, ekg, etc so if you plan on wanting to go in one of those areas and not medical assisting, go elsewhere; stay on top of what classes you have taken and which ones you need...because they have been known to schedule you in a class you already took. And go get your CNA and cpr/first aid classes **OUTSIDE OF** stevens-henager...why? Bcuz you'll be saving so much money, how much you ask...lets see you can find a good CNA class for couple hundred or less i think, the CNA test costs $70 to take it on your own, and you can go to your local red cross and take the cpr/1st aid class for under $70!! Compare that to paying $1,750/month for classes!!! And the cna classes (classroom & clinicals) run for 2 months, which makes that $3,500 you can save. All you need do is show them your cert's and cards. But if you plan on going to some other school, good luck, they will more than likely not accept SHC credits.

They have a woman there in charge of student job placement, hope you like converges or teleperformance, she is too "busy" (lazy)to help you look for better and more suitable things and she is not the cheeriest person there either, she glares down at you, but over her glasses.

I feel as if I had lowered my standards and underestimated myself by going there. =( I think I about covered all of it. I feel better now. If I saved you the grief of what I and so many others have been thru, it was worth it.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2009
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F

I was satisfied with my overall experience at

Sep 18 2009Accounting
I was satisfied with my overall experience at SHC. Students going into this program should be aware of the trasfer issue and be prepared to stick it out. Yes, the cost is a little high, but textbooks and a laptop are included, and the ability to work full-time was well worth it. I felt that the classes were challenging and the material was appropriate for my course of study. My interactions with staff and professors was incredibly positive, and they were helpful even AFTER I had completed the program. I think most people will get out of SHC what they put into it (effort-wise). If you are thinking about this school, do your homework before you commit and try to talk to people that actually finished the program you are interested in. I can be a very rewarding educational experience if it is right for you.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2007